ORF File Format?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Nah, not a trick question :) Just didn't feel the details were particularly relevant.

The photos I shot were classified, and they went on a computer on a classified network that I don't have administrator access to. I already asked the IT guys if they could install the codecs and they couldn't. I can't put the photos on an unclassified machine, and the machine doesn't have any photo editing software on it. So limited choices :)

Seems like the best option at this point is just to put them back in the camera, edit them there so it converts it to JPG, and then re-import. That might take some time, but can't think of any other route at the moment :). The harder part will be remembering to switch RAW->JPG next time :)
OK! Now I get it! Thanks!
And the advice from @PakkyT about the RAW+jpg setting is sound as the camera is probably classified too!

dancebert

Mu-43 Veteran
Instead of shooting RAW+Jpg you can use exiftool to extract the 3456x4608 Jpg from the ORF. It's fast, unless you want to copy the the EXIF data from the ORF to the Jpg.

https://exiftool.org/

REM Batch file extracts Jpgs with or without EXIF data from the ORFs
REM
REM Assumes a dedicated folder for extracting Jpgs. That folder:
REM 1) Contains the ORFs
REM 2) Will contain the extracted Jpgs, unless you use MOVE command.
REM 3) Contains exiftool.exe
REM 4) Contains a batch file with the code below.
REM 5) You've added or removed REMs to create Jpgs with out without EXIF data

REM Extract Jpg Without EXIF data.
exiftool -b -PreviewImage -w .jpg -ext ORF .

REM Extract Jpg with EXIF data
REM Single '%' for command line
REM exiftool.exe -tagsfromfile %f.ORF -overwrite_original -ext jpg .
REM Double '%' for batch file
REM exiftool.exe -tagsfromfile %%f.ORF -overwrite_original -ext jpg .

REM Move from ORF directory
REM move *.jpg "put directory name here"

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Instead of shooting RAW+Jpg you can use exiftool to extract the 3456x4608 Jpg from the ORF.

Seems like a lot of extra work to suggest as an alternate to shooting RAW+JPG where simply pushing the shutter button generates the full JPF (with EXIF) for you without the need of other SW outside of your camera body. :hmmm:

Well, it's a good suggestion - I'm a huge fan of exiftool - just can't install it on the computer :(. Found out today my plan was harder than I thought - when you save an edit in Raw Edit mode, it brings you back to the beginning of the pictures, so going through and doing that for 300+ pictures will be quite painful. I'm looking at porting dcraw, but that's less than trivial too. The gentleman who wrote it is extremely adept at C -- so much so, that it would not be so easy to convert to VB. :(

dancebert

Mu-43 Veteran
Seems like a lot of extra work to suggest as an alternate to shooting RAW+JPG
Whether you're shooting RAW or RAW+Jpg, you have to copy the files from camera to computer. I don't see how clicking on a batch file is a lot of extra work. Plus, the downside of shooting RAW+Jpg is it drains batteries faster.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Claude
Putting an unauthorized USB stick into a computer on even an ITAR secured network can be grounds for dismissal, nevermind a classified environment.
Well, if one can connect a camera via USB on the computer in question, considering that the camera is viewed by the computer as an external drive, I don't really see much difference between that and a USB stick!

Alternatively, one could probably run exiftool from the camera! Just copy exiftool on the SD card and run it from there.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Plus, the downside of shooting RAW+Jpg is it drains batteries faster.

Ha! You have any evidence of that or just conjecture? With mirrorless, battery drain is much more about ON time. I have never noticed any difference in battery life when switching over to RAW+ JPG and this sounds like a "well it could be a fact" just for the sake of throwing it out there.

Wow, I stirred up quite a discussion :). We have a section authorized to move photos from SD cards to our classified network. So not open-ended :). This is just one of those things I didn't know what I didn't know, and another reason why I'm happy to be a Mac guy :)

In any case, now I know... We'll be switching to Sony full-frame in the future anyway for official stuff.

Thanks for everything - I learn a lot every time I post here...

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
.... Found out today my plan was harder than I thought - when you save an edit in Raw Edit mode, it brings you back to the beginning of the pictures, so going through and doing that for 300+ pictures will be quite painful. ....
As you will be doing the work on paid time, I don't see the problem. No one could accuse you of loitering on the job, considering that it's not you that sets the parameters of the task at hand!

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's physics + common sense. Writing files to the SD Card uses the battery. Writing 2 files uses more battery than writing 1 file.

OK sure, but can you actually notice the difference shooting RAW vs. RAW+JPG? I am of the position that there is no practical difference in battery life when using one or the other and that you are just throwing this conjecture out there as a red herring.

Yes, when shooting only in burst mode hundreds and hundreds of photos of a sport for which I bring 3 batteries and enough SD card space to drain all 3.

Sounds like fun... Which sport? :). I had an unusual opportunity to run recreation programs in Kuwait when I was there last time, and we had a basketball tournament with a local women's group. I haven't shot much in the way of sports, but that was a super special time for me. :).

Attachments

• P5030418.jpeg
    P5030418.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P5030491.jpeg
    P5030491.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 17

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Nah, not a trick question :) Just didn't feel the details were particularly relevant.

The photos I shot were classified, and they went on a computer on a classified network that I don't have administrator access to. I already asked the IT guys if they could install the codecs and they couldn't. I can't put the photos on an unclassified machine, and the machine doesn't have any photo editing software on it. So limited choices :)

Seems like the best option at this point is just to put them back in the camera, edit them there so it converts it to JPG, and then re-import. That might take some time, but can't think of any other route at the moment :). The harder part will be remembering to switch RAW->JPG next time :)
If selecting the files in camera to edit, don’t forget that holding down the Record button in Review, it continually selects those frames. From there you may able select raw edit (assuming settings are the same for each frame, like same exposure compensation if using Aperture Priority). I’m not sure if it is possible to batch edit as I can’t get my camera right now.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom