1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ordered the Oly OMD Grip

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Mar 4, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I hope I'm not sorry, but for the moment I am looking forward to it. I'm a little curious how I will use the two parts of the grip, but am open to imagination and innovation!

2. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    For me the horizontal grip was a price of entry. Without it I find the omd uncomfortable to use with anything but the smallest lenses. The grip and repositioned shutter button and front dial are necessary for my purposes. I came from grippy Panny bodies though so I'm used to having it. The down sides are that I wish the battery could be removed and I wish it wasn't quite so thick on the bottom, seems unnecessary and causes a bit of trouble getting in and out of the bag.

The vertical is cool in theory but I don't find it much easier than just holding it vertically without and my wrist strap is in a weird place when holding with the vertical grip.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Works in theory, but try doing a two hour model shoot like that...you'd be BEGGING for the vertical grip!

4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Haha, I bet, not a use case I've been fortunate enough to have personally :)

5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm loving mine. Full grip is useful for situations. I've purchased a bag that can accommodate it. This weekend, I was out at Sea Cliff with the wife, doing some exploring and shooting. Found myself on a wooden pier with wide gaps shooting nearby sailboats on a cold and windy day. No way would I have been as comfortable and certain with the camera in hand sans the grip.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Savas, tell me about the bag you acquired.
    Thanks,

7. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I bought the full grip shortly after I purchased my OMD and it pretty much stays on there. I like having the entire grip on, rather than just the horizontal grip. I had originally planned to only use the full grip when using the panny 100-300mm or the Voightlander 17.5mm, but once your use to how the OMD feels with the full grip it feels strange not having it on there at all.

8. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    Tom, it is one of Billingham's 07 series, the 307. There are the two smaller siblings, 107 and 207. I reviewed the 307 in this forum's accessory section. All 07 are duplicate except for length; thereby even the smallest can easily contain the full grip and also include the tiny add-on flash mounted; entirely accessible and with easy insertion and retrieval.

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Tom!

I don't think you'll regret the purchase. My grip was 'welded' to my EM-5 for several months; I've found, however, that with a small prime, such as the 20mm or 15mm, I prefer having the camera w/o the grip to reduce the weight.

That being said I was on a 2 day trip over the weekend and had the grip installed with the 20mm because I didn't want to fool around with battery life.

For me the grip is a 'must have' part of the OM-D system (hopefully when Olympus releases the replacement for the EM-5 it will accept the grip; Nikon went that route with the D300 grip and it sure saves a ton of money if one has more than one body of the same design series!).

The grip adds functionality (better vertical ergonomics, second battery, added balance for longer lenses) that I think you'll enjoy.

Post some (vertical) pics after you get the grip!

Regards,

Jim

10. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    NOthing like a $500 camera bag! Have to agree about the grip though. Seems like a must have for the EM-5

11. mring1

mring1 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    John Taska
    The most interesting thing about the E-M5 is how many different accessories you can purchase to alter the ergonomics and size of the camera. I'd have bought the Oly grip but I really didn't want the portrait accessory grip. No question: I'd have bought the landscape grip were it offered for $200.

As it was, I bought the RRS grip which works for me. And it's those last four words that really define which grip a user should buy. I played with the HLD-6 and found it just a tad inconvenient to get to the Fn2 and Movie Record buttons (which I reprogrammed), as compared to the RRS. Again, one worked, and the other worked a little better for me. But there's no question: for weddings, all day or intense shoots, the HLD-6 would be a no-brainer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    In my opinion, an indispensible accessory for the OM-D.I really didn't care for mine until I put the grip on.Just stretching the shutter button forward made it all work ergonomically.I don't use the bottom much because I don't frame in portrait mode.So, a waste of money there.I would be tempted to use the bottom just for the easier battery access alone but I find the OM-D to be very good on battery charge life and I can easily get through a day of shooting on one charge, so the hampered battery access isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    lol. that would be $425.00; less if purchased abroad.

No, I don't drive a Rolls. Expensive bags ate up that budget.

14. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I use my Billingham Hadley Digital a lot. Fits the OM-D with full grip and handstrapvery well. Room for the short tele zoom too 40-150?

I have a Hadley Pro in case I want to carry more.

Rob S is a gentleman, and I am a happy customer.

Here's my d300s with grip and 18-200 VR; my old walkabout rig.
    http://rangefinderstore.com/316966/billingham-canvas-bags/

[/url

What you can't see much of...I had my BlackRapid strap under the camera! (Yes, I was using it then...)

Dave

15. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    Dave, I forgot you mentioned that. Does it take the full grip (with the battery part in place)?

(doh! - I see you posted a pic in your post after my post.)

At that, it's functioning like a top loader, right? If you want to bring a few lenses and maybe a flash unit, the bag can't handle it, no?

16. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Depends on your lenses. I edited and added a photo with my Nikon within.

Configured for my Oly I have 2 partitions with just enough room for the flash head (though I just thought of that! ) and my 40-150 lens.

I havea Nikon Lenshood. For the 12-50. I can't leave it on the lens.

17. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    Dave -

Gripped Nikon in sideways?

This is the access that the 307 affords. Fully-gripped camera; including the optional flash commander if you want; wide open maw - nothing gets snagged and it is easy to grab the camera and do so quickly and put it back as quickly; lenses are in chambers with hoods in the mounted ready position. If planned for, an extra chamber is left empty to help you swap.

viewofbag.

In red is the interior space that the 107 features and in blue, the 207. Each smaller bag size loses around 2 inches in width (and loses some lens chambers.) Though the loss comes with some empty full interior width x full interior height space to put something else into.

Sorry about the drift; let's please go back to enjoying the Olympus grip.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  18. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    OK, here's another grip question: are the controls (and their functions) on the grip described in the basic OM-D manual?

19. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    I don't think so. I searched on HLD in the pdf manual and it turned up in a paragraph, the balance of hits are just references to it.

"Power Battery Holder (HLD-6)
    The power battery holder includes grip and power components. The power component
    supplements the camera battery. It is equipped with a shutter button, a dial, and
    function buttons for use when the camera is rotated to take pictures in portrait"

The HLD-6 comes with a tiny booklet that covers a lot of ground. Schematic pics with callouts and instruction in the language of your choice.