Ordered my new camera today and surprised myself...:)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Pim, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

For a while already I have been on the lookout for a new camera, and I was waiting for the Photokina announcements before making my final decision. I currently own an Olympus E-PL3 and wanted something a little bigger(as nice as the E-PL3 is I hate the ergonomics, do not understand why manufacturers insist on making their cameras as slippery as possible...). Also high on my list was an EVF (I have the VF2 for the Oly, and that is a very nice one, but the clip-on is just not very efficient, and I sometimes just forget to take it on a trip).

So even with my modest wishes I was quite underwhelmed with the new PEN cameras, and the GH3 is a little overkill for me to be honest (but definitely glad they developed it, will only make the system stronger as a whole), so I was starting to contemplate NEX 7 or the new Fuji, but realized I would have to sell some of my favorite lenses, and in the end that would mean quite a big investment in an entirely new system.

So earlier this week I visited the local electronics store where they stock a decent supply of Mu43 cameras and out of the blue I picked up a Panasonic GH2. I had never really given that line much thought, as I always felt the mini DSLR was not to my taste, but after playing with it for a while I started to like the feel of the camera a lot. It was great to feel a decent grip again and the viewfinder is great, big and even for me, as a glasses wearer, very nice from corner to corner. Only thing holding me back was the fact that the GH3 is of course a few years old already, still quite costly, I might not get the best sensor performance, plus I had the idea I would be paying a premium for video capabilities, that I will never use.

So then I looked at the G3, same great viewfinder, but not that comfortable to hold... so I went home empty handed and was wondering if I would just have to wait another year. Then I was looking around on this website and suddenly noticed the G5 coming up in one of the discussions. Somehow this one escaped my attention, our local store does not stock it even (guess they want to get rid off their G3 stock first). This camera looks like an ideal cross between the GH2 (formfactor) and G3 (price). After reading some reviews and some experiences from all you great people I decided this was what I was looking for, so ordered it tonight and it should arrive tomorrow...:) I decided to skip the 14-42 but went for the 14-45 instead, by all accounts one of the better kitlenses in the mirrorles world...

Looking forward to receiving my new toys tomorrow and give them a good work out over the weekend, I will try and post some pics soon!

Anyway, glad I made that call, and glad I will be staying in the wonderful Mu43 community after all...:)

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Looking forward to reading about your impressions; it seems like a really nice camera. I had the G3 and liked it very much--had no issues at all with its size. The G5 seems even better.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I just got a G5 myself, I think you'll probably like it. It's clearly an evolution of the G3, but the grip is considerably more comfortable to me. It has a few other features that are nice to have beyond that as well. The EVF and LCD seem improved as far as I can tell, the larger battery should improve battery life, and other goodies like the electronic shutter are tucked away in there as well. Enjoy!

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congratulations on the new camera, Pim!

One random feature that intrigues me with the G5 is the silent shutter option. I would appreciate any comments on this once you have a chance to play with it a bit.

5. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Sure, I am intrigued by this one as well, read mixed opinions about it, so best is to find our for myself of course...:) Like I said I plan to do some shooting over the weekend and will post some experiences and pics soon!

• Like Like x 1
  6. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I for one would really appreciate this. For various reasons, the G5 is a natural choice for me over the more expensive bodies. Would love to have a balanced first impression on this one. Thanks.
    woof

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I think you will be very happy with it, I've seen nothing but praise from the G5. It's a very solid and mature product. Not the flashiest, but almost without liabilities.

(I'm a satisfied owner of one)

8. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Another satisfied G5 owner

I think you are in for quite a treat. I have had one since they first started shipping and it continues to impress me. Take it out for a test drive as soon as you can and it will make you smile.

The thing that convinced me to finally sell off my 43 gear and move completely was the great range of lenses now available for M43 and the more recent advances in noise control and DR.

Congratulations!
    Dan

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    That's the great thing about :43: - the range of body styles. There's something to appeal to almost everyone. Whether you put a premium on design or on ergonomics you can find a camera that fits your preferences and generally performs well. :cool: