1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ordered my G3 kit today!!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dcisive, Jul 18, 2011.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I just pulled the trigger with Unique Photo. They were very nice to deal with on the phone. it's my first time with them so hopefully it will go as well as it has in the past with B&H. I'm getting the G3 with the 2 lens kit (14-42/45-200OIS) and of course I ordered a 2nd battery knowing these guys are power hogs. also 2 Transcend 16gb Class 10 SD cards. I should be all set. Even popped for next day air (I have NO patience). I'll be sure to post some pics by mid week and my impressions. Thanks to those that gave me the tips on Unique Photo. Now I'll be counting the hours. :whoo::dance2::yahoo:

• Like Like x 4
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Congrats!! I look forward to the pictures.

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Awesome! Congrats!!!

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Congrats. Let us know your impressions because this may be my next one.

5. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    That's great - I am falling in love with mine. It really handles well and the in-camera processed images are incredible. Be sure to check out "Intelligent Resolution" and "Intelligent Dynamic." I have both set to High. IR sharpens the edges and areas with texture and detail, but leaves smooth areas like sky alone. ID brings out detail in the shadows without destroying blacks or blowing out the highlights. Both work on the RAW image before the jpeg is created. I also like "Vivid" in Photo Style, but dial back the contrast -1 and may do the same for the saturation. Absolutely terrific color.

6. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Funny you'd mention that as I fully planned on those 2 settings being used and on HIGH based on all the sample shots I've seen. I love the way it renders the scene so sharp but doesn't create or add noise in the blue sky (like the Oly's did). So I'm looking forward to it. I don't plan on using Silkypix however. I'm going to wait and hold out for their update on Lightroom for the G3. That is MY program of choice for post processing.

7. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    The G3 does such a great job at processing with the tweaks you give it, that I find little need for additional processing and simply make minor adjustments in Photoshop to the Tiff I make from the original jpeg. What I really like with this approach, is that when you download the images, they are all as you expect them to be. If you are off on a trip, and perhaps using a netbook, then you don't need any RAM intensive converter program to see what you have - they are already there.

8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    dcisive... it won't be long before LR3 converts RAWs from the G3, just a little patience and it'll be there... and you'll be thrilled with the detail, ultimate image quality, and versatility. As a fellow Lightroom user, I know I don't need to tell you how magnificent LR is! Congrats on the G3! :thumbup:

I'm waiting to get my G3 in chocolate... it will join my GH2 as a replacement for my GF1.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Looks like a fun camera. Enjoy!

10. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    A US based store with G3's in stock!?

11. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    I got my G3 from Adorama few weeks ago :)

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    did you get the kit or body?

13. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    paid $100 extra to get the kit. just sold the kit lens for $150 :)

14. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    Kenmore Camera near Seattle, WA announced on Facebook yesterday they had new shipment (maybe their third) with all colors in stock. I bought my brown kit from them 3 weeks ago after cancelling my PD order for black body only.

Diane B

15. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Yeah, there's really no reason to not get the kit. If you like Ebay, you can sell the lens for a lot more than the $100 difference, or if you just want to be nice, you can always sell the lens here for the $100 (plus shipping) difference (or so), giving a fellow poster a chance at the lens for under market prices.

Body + lens = $599 + $182 > $699 = kit
    (Amazon prices, just for example)
    If you get a discount, the difference is even bigger.

16. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    This is really frustrating.

17. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    if there was definitely a bigger australian readership here, then i would have considered it for sure.

just keep watching adorama, i think every now and then one should come into stock, my kit was in stock for a few days while i procrastinated! their shipping is really fast too, left the US on wednesday and fell in my hands friday morning! (and that was with the cheapest shipping option)

18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I have repeatedly found that when the major internet order camera suppliers (B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc.) are sold out of popular new models (e.g. GH2, G3, etc.) that a number of brick and mortar camera shops in many of the larger cities do have these models in stock... you only have to find their phone numbers, get your credit card in hand, and call them to obtain what you want. Call around a little and you will likely find what you want!

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great advice. I've found the same.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Mu-43 App

20. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    i too got myself a G3 from Adorama (many thanks to chylld for his help!). However, like many, its back ordered and waiting.

the way i see it, by the time i get my camera, LR will have a proper RAW plugins for this cam.