Ordered my first Mu-43 camera!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by maryPix, Apr 8, 2013.

1. maryPix

maryPix New to Mu-43

Apr 8, 2013
    Northern New Jersey
    Mary
    There was a price drop yesterday, so I ordered an Olympus e-pl5!! After a trip to Az, I decided to go lighter from my DSLR! I really hope that I chose the right model. I have been reading this forum for awhile, but didn't join until today. I'm feeling uncertain about my choice, since it seems there is a lot of love for the OM-D E-M5, GX-1, e-pl1, but not so much for the e-pl5. I based my choice on size, weight, ability to add EVF, IBIS. I like bright photos with saturated colors. I mostly shoot people, travel photography, some street. I primarily use fast prime lenses. Please convince me that I made a good choice or recommend another one!

2. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I think you made a great choice. My first and only m4/3 is the e-pl2 with the kit lens and so far, I still love it after 2 years. A friend just purchased the e-pl5 and loved it so much, he sold all his canon gear and now has just m4/3, both Olympus and Panasonic. I like the size of the e-pl5 much more than the OMD so if I was to upgrade, it would be the e-pl5 as I use it for everyday, travel and hiking trips, so small and light is what I want.

Good choice!!!

Randy

3. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    rest easy. you made the right choice. it's a great camera. you will amazed at the picture quality from such a compact design.

now send me some pizza and bagels!!

<----nj native living in virginia.

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    E-PL5 is a fantastic camera and one I would have bought but it was a bit small for my big hands. My guess is that it will be fantastic for someone named Mary:smile:

Don't worry about the camera, worry about which of the fantastic lenses you should buy next!

5. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Thats an awesome camera. Same sensor as the em5, so quite a bargain, especially if you dont need the viewfinder. Good choice.

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    em5 is new and amazing with the extra ibis and built in evf people love
    epl1 is super cheap
    gx1 is a small panny thats not been gimped out with no hot shoe
    thats why people love them :)

epl5 has a great sensor
    addon evf-able
    ibis(tho not as much as em5)
    small
    better flippy uppy screen than the em5
    and cRaZy colors! :)

you did fine
    now show us some photos to criticize and well give you a reason to be nervous! muahahaha!
    jk! :D

what dlsr ya got?

7. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    The GX1 has a hot shoe. That's what the EVF fits on.

8. pdbphoto

pdbphoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    PL5 is a great camera. It has the sensor and processing engine of the M5 at 1/2 the cost. OK, you do give up a lot of other goodies that come with the M5, but image quality is not one of them the way I shoot.

The PL5 combined with the great prime lenses is so good, I am selling off my Nikon DX stuff, and keeping just a few very unusual FX lenses. I will buy a used FX body to use them on.

I find the PL5 with its prime lenses is a good as my DX body with its consumer zooms. And the m4/3 system is so much smaller and lighter to carry around that I actually carry it with me.

I was leaving the DX body and lenses at home or in the hotel and carrying a tiny P&S camera with unacceptably low ISO speed and high noise. What was that about?

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, I think the distinction Bokeaji was making was between the GX1 (which HAS a hotshoe) and the GF3/5 (which do NOT have a hotshoe), hence the GFs are "gimped out".

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! You made in excellent choice and I expect that you will love your new camera. There are several great fast primes available - one of the many reasons that :43: is such a great system. :smile:

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new E-PL5. Great choice - a very nice camera! Kind of the sweet spot for features in Olympus' lineup, imo.

What primes are you going to use?

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Don't worry about it, it's hard to find a 'bad' camera these days. Get yourself some lenses.

13. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Great choice. I bought an E-PL5 this December and have been thrilled with the quality of images and ease of handling.

I am constantly amazed at how easy it is to get good shot with this camera -- fast focus, excellent exposures and great glass.

Enjoy the camera.

P.

14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    this :) thnx bud

15. maryPix

maryPix New to Mu-43

Apr 8, 2013
    Northern New Jersey
    Mary
    I will send you some pizza, bagels and some Taylor Ham!

Thanks everyone for making me feel like I made a good choice. My camera should be here today! I actually have 2 DSLRs, both of them older models. I have a Canon Rebel xti with 50mm 1.8, 17-55mm IS, 70-300mm and a Nikon D40 with 35mm 1.8 and 17-55mm. I started with the Canon, bought the Nikon and went back to the Canon. I kept the Nikon as an extra body since I really liked the focal length of the 35mm instead of the 50mm on the crop sensor body. As far as lenses for the e-pl5, I am torn between the P20mm 1.7 and the P25 1.4, but leaning to the P20. I am also interested in a fast wide angle.

16. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    I missed the double negative, and maybe the lingo as well, haha sorry :p

17. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    Congratulations!

I just got my first m4/3 camera yesterday, so I'm in the process of learning it, too. So far, it's pretty easy to use without having to consult the instruction book.

You mentioned having a DSLR too. Just in case you aren't aware, m4/3 can utilize just about any other mount with an adapter so you may be able to use your DSLR lenses with your new toy. :)

18. poisson rouge

poisson rouge Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    If you love the 35mm on the D40, go for the P 20mm you will love it :)
    Also your camera is awesome do not ever worry about it again :D
    The E-PL1 was one of the first mu-43 cameras it is far behind your E-PL5 in terms of sensor and auto focus.. AND YET it is still super popular and rightly so. Now imagine how good your E-PL5 must be! :D

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you will be sharing your photos with us!