1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ordered Metz 44 AF-1 Digital for E-PL5, looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jyc860923, Nov 29, 2012.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi all

So it's going to be my first strobe for system cameras, checked this and it provides TTL compatibility and auto zoom, swivel and tilt, and the wide-angle diffuser and reflector card as well, guess all these would be more than enough for me. Now I'm waiting till it arrives tomorrow, and I'm planning to use it in weddings, indoor and night shooting, any suggestions?

I'm new to using such more powerful flash than, say integrated camera flashes, so a little too excited to know what to do and ask at the moment:yahoo:
    paid 1000RMB (160USD) for this

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Avoid using it on the camera. Spend some time here: Strobist

• Like Like x 1
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I own two Metz 58s (AF1-1 & AF-2).

Get a least four sets of low-discharge-rate AA cells, a flash bracket, and a bigger bounce card than what is built-in.

For weddings, tape four AAs together so that you can simply place them all at once in the 44's battery compartment.

With disposable alkaline cells, the color temperature Metz flash units will gravitate towards the warm ("orangy") end of the color spectrum as the voltage drops with usage; from a nominal 5000 Kelvin (new cells at ~1.5 volts to about 3000 Kelvin at <1 volt. NiMh cells fresh off the charge are about 1.25 volts so the voltage drop-off is not so drastic.

Get some gels: 1/2 CTO, full CTO, 1/2 CTS, and full CTS. One of each. Use gaffers tape to mount them to them to the flash head. Become intimate with the use and adjustment of the manual white balance settings of your camera.

Learn to use manual mode on the flash while using manual mode on the camera.

For sustained use, bump-up the ISO on the camera and lower the output setting on the flash. This minimizes overheating.

Minimize pointing the flash directly at the subject to avoid creating a hotspot on the image unless that is the desired effect.

Take an inanimate object. Capture several hundred images of it while varying the controls on the camera and flash unit until you are satisfied and comfortable with both the results and operation. Remember, a boxer or martial artist practices a punch or kick several thousand times before actually hitting something.

Good luck, have fun. If your results are not what you want, go do something else and then come back to the camera and flash and practice some more.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    It may come with a stand as well, can't remember. If not, get one. I do use it on the camera, but only bounced up or up and at an angle, works fine. Off camera is better, more natural looking, but don't be afraid to take quick snaps with it either, just bounce it of the ceiling or wall (as long as it is close to white or some other flattering color). Grab a second and you've got a great lighting kit for most anything, and the camera will fire them both wirelessly!

[shameless plug] Hey! I still have mine... want it? I switched to the NEX system and bought a Sony unit. [/shameless plug]

• Like Like x 1
  5. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    wow, thanks! for so much more than I thought what I'd need to know, it seems a long way to go while I'll be firing a hundred times testing these things out.

I currently think I'll be starting practising something easier with familiar conditions, and the E-PL5 sensor ability and the power output of the metz will provide me with a great tolerance, just can't imagine the temp goes down on the metz, must be annoying.

I was pretty upset when I first discovered Olympus supplied flash unit can't bounce, then I used the credit card as a reflector (and 0dBm you're right, I do still need a larger reflector than the supplied one on the metz, right about your others point too). With the GF3 I started to used bounced flash;)

6. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    :eek:NEX? no way!

7. Foto_con_Sabor

Foto_con_Sabor Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012
    Philly, PA
    I was researching ttl flashes and came across this thread. Maybe someone here would be able to answer....does anyone know if this flash operates with wireless ttl, more specifically the wireless functions built in to the olympus omd? I remember reading that some metz flashes are capable of this with a USB firmware upgrade, wanted to know if this was one of them, as this will help me make my decision....

8. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    From an older thread; sorry I don't recall which: "Wireless works, you can turn the camera flash to OFF, TTL, or MANUAL (with adjustments)."

9. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Yes, it fully supports the wireless TTL function. but a firmware update is needed.

10. dphotog

dphotog Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    I'm ordering a light Stand for my new flashes due to come in soon. I couldnt justify the extra 120 dollars for TTL though it would have been nice I went for something more manual and got Yongnuo 560 III's. Not bad from what im told for $75 dollars each.

11. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think that'll be good too. I use my Metz a lot in M mode actually