Ordered an E-M10 yesterday.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 6BQ5, May 29, 2015.

1. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2015
    I had a chance to play with a Lumix GX1 and an optional EVF attachment. The camera had a G Vario Lumix 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens mounted. This is much bigger than what I would want to carry with me but for exploration and play it was fine. The shooting experience was positive. I had some trouble navigating the menus and finding the technical features I was looking for but that's natural. New camera, new menus, new learning. I was very impressed with the IQ of the sensor and the lens. My K-3 may have captured more detail in a larger file but I don't know if it would have added value in my specific shots. Sensor noise started sneaking in at ISO 1000 but only when pixel peeping. My K-3 could probably go higher before the same levels of noise are visible but my Q7 would lag far behind in this regard.

The GX1 is about the same size as the E-M10 and shooting with the GX1 showed me approximately how the E-M10 will handle in my hands. I found the GX1 comfortable to hold and similar to a lightweight vintage film body. Based off of this experience and some of the lens review I read online I think I'm going to give the E-M10 a chance.

Fun, fun, fun! :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Should be fun and that's a great camera.

The E-M10 has a much newer sensor than the GX1, too, so don't be surprised if there is NO difference compared to your K3! :)

3. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2015
    As a gear head I will definitely be comparing my K-3 against the E-M10. How can I not? :)

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I got my second E-M10 a few days ago. I just couldn't justify more than twice as much for a E-M5II when the E-M10 does almost everything I need. Enjoy yours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    It's a really nice little camera. With the recent instant rebate prices I couldn't resist picking one up.

6. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Yup, I'm with you. I bought one about a week ago, not being able to resist the rebate deal. About a year ago I got a Canon SL1 instead of an E-M10, but I've always wanted the E-M10 too. It's a much nicer camera (cosmetically, build-quality, etc) than the SL1, of course, so I'm pretty pleased with it. I just got a WCON-p01 wide-angle attachment for it. It is surprisingly good, IMHO. I think the addition of it makes the E-M10 an almost perfect no-lens-swap travel camera.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just picked up a second E-M10 as well. The current price was too hard to pass up. It's a great travel cam!

8. kevin boyer

kevin boyer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on the E-M10 myself. Just curious where the best price for the camera is at right now? I've been watching a lot of different websites, as well as eBay.

9. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2015
    I got mine from Adorama because I had some coupons/rewards from a past purchase. Otherwise the price is generally the same - $499.

10. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Canada
    Almost everyone seems to have it for $499 with the 14-42mm kit in the USA and you can add the 40-150mm for $99 extra.

11. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    I've had my EM10 since it first came out and love it. I have thought about getting the EM5 II but really can't justify it considering how pleased I am with the 10.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tasdisr

tasdisr Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    I recently sold my E-PL5 and when I saw the $499 price I decided to pick one up. I was going to wait and check out the Lumix G7,but the price on the M10 was too good to pass up and since I don't care that much about video I figured why wait.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-M10 is a great value now. Video is pretty good for slow moving subjects and C-AF can keep up quite well in video with certain lenses. I've been using it for over a year now and it's always joy to use.