1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ordered an E-M1 for 799€, is it a good price?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ramirez, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I just ordered E-M1 for 799€, just wondering if it's a good price?

With the new improved functions due to the firmware updates, I feel that the EM-1 is now a good option for hybrid photographers due to the different frame rates in the video mode. Before, when it had only 30p, E-M1 wasn't viable as an option for me.
    I know that the E-M1 II is rumored to have 4K but I already have two Pannys with 4K video, GH4 & LX100. Not all my cameras need to have 4K video capabilities :)

E-M1 will be a good complementary video camera and a great portable stills camera.

Those of you who used E-M1 for awhile, how do you find AF in "sport" situations (just wondering)?

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    That depends in what country you are in. In the US it would have been a poor deal, in England it could be purchased for 100€ less, in Europe it would look to be a very good deal for the few countries I quickly checked.

With a Panasonic 35-100, Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8, or 50-200mm 4/3s lens it is pretty good. I have yet to try the Panasonic 100-400mm lens for ay sports yet.

I do not use C-AF + Tracking at all and I'm more prone to use S-AF than C-AF unless my subject is something I can pan with or keep the target on my subject.

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Just a clarification: The best price for the UK online is something approaching 700 *GBP* - at the moment, that's more or less the same as 800 EUR. I agree you get better deals in the US, though - but that's a given. I think all over Europe, €799 is a solid deal (and much better than anything on offer here in Switzerland, as is usual for fire sale prices - we get better deals on the latest gear, though).

M.

4. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    ...unless you go grey market, in which case I've seen it for £470 currently. That's better than second hand prices in many cases, but you take your chances of course.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    You're brave man asking that question after buying it, I'd be too scared!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Well, I have the 14 day return policy here :) But I'll keep the E-M1. I think I'll get it in the beginning of next week, a little birthday present for myself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Just ordered Panasonic Lumix 35-100 f4-5.6 for my coming E-M1 :)

I have really downsized my m43 equipment as I use many systems nowadays.
    But with the E-M1, I find places for more lenses again... The same old thing that happens when
    you buy a new camera body; you need this and that..

As of now the place for my E-M1 will be travel and "telecentric"; I´ll use Oly 45 f1.8 and this Panny 35-100 with the E-M1; E-M1 will complement my Panasonic 4K cams for video duty and be a nice light tele/travel camera.

For wildlife/nature I use my Nikon D610 with Tokina 17-35mm f/4 (ultra wide), Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 and Tamron 70-200 f2.8. My Nikon FF setup is on the heavier side so I´ll use the Nikon system only on assignments and planned things when I don't need to hike a lot. For hiking the E-M1 with the 35-100 combined with my Fuji X100s and the Wide conversion lens will rule!

For my video assignments and hybrid assignments like weddings etc I´ll use the whole lot.
    In a church: GH4 with Panny 12-35 f2.8, E-M1 with 45 f1.8, LX100, Sony A7II with FE 28 f2, Fuji X100s around my neck and if I need more photography in the assignment the Nikon follows with me.
    But if the assignment is more videocentric, the Nikon stays home.

So the niche for my E-M1 will be light travel/hiking and complementary video, maybe some street work as well and for those places where DSLR:s aren´t allowed :)

8. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I got the Panasonic 35-100 f4-5.6 for 299€ and a 50€ cash back. Is that a good price for this lens?

9. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I just got my E-M1! Wow! What a camera!
    The build is better than my Nikon D610, like a mini D4!
    I also got the HLD-7 battery grip thrown in and a Panasonic water bottle (good to take with me to the gym) :)

The packaging is something extra, even better then when I got my Fuji X100, the first one... It´s Leica-like packaging!

Charging the battery right now, I will have my E-M1 ready for the wedding work I have tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    One thing that I missed in the package was those two empty spaces where the Oly Pro zooms would have been. I was hoping that as mistake was made and that I would have gotten the zooms... that I put the order wrong and order the E-M1 with the zooms. You see the picture of the zooms in the package. Oh well... one day I will have them :)

11. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If you still have the chance to return it, purnimadigital has it for 611€

12. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks :) But I´ll keep this one. Just started to put in those settings that I want.

Preparering for the wedding tomorrow. My focus is video. E-M1 has now taken Nikon D610:s place as my D-cam :)

A-Cam GH4, B-Cam LX100 (because of 4K as GH4), C-Cam Sony A7II and D-Cam E-M1

Two cameras have the cropable 4K format and will focus on the couple and the priest.
    The other two HD-cams will be oriented toward the people in the benches and singers etc.

Recording in 25p as I´m in PAL-land.

So I´ve dedicated this evening into preparing the E-M1 as D-cam tomorrow.

13. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I'm back from the wedding.
    I didn't use the E-M1 much but I took it in my hands and filmed something and I'm impressed.
    I used my two 4K capable cameras (GH4 & LX100) for the most important things, filming the couple and the priest. Sony A7II was pointed towards the musician/singer they had and it also filmed the attendants and surround things. An action camera was up on the balcony (where the organ is) for "Birdseye", I controlled this from my iPhone.

In the end I picked up the E-M1 with m.zuiko 45 f1.8. I recorded some close ups of the couple and took some photos of them. I recorded with E-M1 handheld, the rest of the cameras were tripod mounted. IBIS and m.zuiko 45 f1.8, nothing beats that combination (maybe the 75 but I don't have that lens). The E-M1 behaved great!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I was watching a football (soccer) game today. When I entered through the gate a security guard wanted to inspect my little camera bag. I told him that I have only a tiny little camera with me. He would never had let me in with my Nikon D610. But the OM-D E-M1 without grip cannot be a "serious" tool as it is so tiny ;)

I really enjoyed the game through my E-M1 although I only had my Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 with me. It was raining and it is my only weather sealed lens for m4/3:s at this moment. I was quite close so I got some good photos, sitting close to one end of the pitch with one goal.

When I got time to edit the photos, all taken in RAW, I'll maybe post some.

Great to have a little not so "serious" camera that can go to places where the Nikon cannot ;)

• Like Like x 1