Ordered an E-M1 for 799€, is it a good price?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ramirez, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I just ordered E-M1 for 799€, just wondering if it's a good price?

With the new improved functions due to the firmware updates, I feel that the EM-1 is now a good option for hybrid photographers due to the different frame rates in the video mode. Before, when it had only 30p, E-M1 wasn't viable as an option for me.
    I know that the E-M1 II is rumored to have 4K but I already have two Pannys with 4K video, GH4 & LX100. Not all my cameras need to have 4K video capabilities :) 

E-M1 will be a good complementary video camera and a great portable stills camera.

Those of you who used E-M1 for awhile, how do you find AF in "sport" situations (just wondering)?

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    That depends in what country you are in. In the US it would have been a poor deal, in England it could be purchased for 100€ less, in Europe it would look to be a very good deal for the few countries I quickly checked.

With a Panasonic 35-100, Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8, or 50-200mm 4/3s lens it is pretty good. I have yet to try the Panasonic 100-400mm lens for ay sports yet.

I do not use C-AF + Tracking at all and I'm more prone to use S-AF than C-AF unless my subject is something I can pan with or keep the target on my subject.

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Just a clarification: The best price for the UK online is something approaching 700 *GBP* - at the moment, that's more or less the same as 800 EUR. I agree you get better deals in the US, though - but that's a given. I think all over Europe, €799 is a solid deal (and much better than anything on offer here in Switzerland, as is usual for fire sale prices - we get better deals on the latest gear, though).

M.

4. ionian

ionian Mu-43 All-Pro

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    ...unless you go grey market, in which case I've seen it for £470 currently. That's better than second hand prices in many cases, but you take your chances of course.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    You're brave man asking that question after buying it, I'd be too scared!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Well, I have the 14 day return policy here :)  But I'll keep the E-M1. I think I'll get it in the beginning of next week, a little birthday present for myself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Just ordered Panasonic Lumix 35-100 f4-5.6 for my coming E-M1 :) 

I have really downsized my m43 equipment as I use many systems nowadays.
    But with the E-M1, I find places for more lenses again... The same old thing that happens when
    you buy a new camera body; you need this and that..

As of now the place for my E-M1 will be travel and "telecentric"; I´ll use Oly 45 f1.8 and this Panny 35-100 with the E-M1; E-M1 will complement my Panasonic 4K cams for video duty and be a nice light tele/travel camera.

For wildlife/nature I use my Nikon D610 with Tokina 17-35mm f/4 (ultra wide), Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 and Tamron 70-200 f2.8. My Nikon FF setup is on the heavier side so I´ll use the Nikon system only on assignments and planned things when I don't need to hike a lot. For hiking the E-M1 with the 35-100 combined with my Fuji X100s and the Wide conversion lens will rule!

For my video assignments and hybrid assignments like weddings etc I´ll use the whole lot.
    In a church: GH4 with Panny 12-35 f2.8, E-M1 with 45 f1.8, LX100, Sony A7II with FE 28 f2, Fuji X100s around my neck and if I need more photography in the assignment the Nikon follows with me.
    But if the assignment is more videocentric, the Nikon stays home.

So the niche for my E-M1 will be light travel/hiking and complementary video, maybe some street work as well and for those places where DSLR:s aren´t allowed :) 

8. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I got the Panasonic 35-100 f4-5.6 for 299€ and a 50€ cash back. Is that a good price for this lens?

9. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I just got my E-M1! Wow! What a camera!
    The build is better than my Nikon D610, like a mini D4!
    I also got the HLD-7 battery grip thrown in and a Panasonic water bottle (good to take with me to the gym) :) 

The packaging is something extra, even better then when I got my Fuji X100, the first one... It´s Leica-like packaging!

Charging the battery right now, I will have my E-M1 ready for the wedding work I have tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    One thing that I missed in the package was those two empty spaces where the Oly Pro zooms would have been. I was hoping that as mistake was made and that I would have gotten the zooms... that I put the order wrong and order the E-M1 with the zooms. You see the picture of the zooms in the package. Oh well... one day I will have them :) 

11. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If you still have the chance to return it, purnimadigital has it for 611€

12. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks :)  But I´ll keep this one. Just started to put in those settings that I want.

Preparering for the wedding tomorrow. My focus is video. E-M1 has now taken Nikon D610:s place as my D-cam :) 

A-Cam GH4, B-Cam LX100 (because of 4K as GH4), C-Cam Sony A7II and D-Cam E-M1

Two cameras have the cropable 4K format and will focus on the couple and the priest.
    The other two HD-cams will be oriented toward the people in the benches and singers etc.

Recording in 25p as I´m in PAL-land.

So I´ve dedicated this evening into preparing the E-M1 as D-cam tomorrow.

13. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I'm back from the wedding.
    I didn't use the E-M1 much but I took it in my hands and filmed something and I'm impressed.
    I used my two 4K capable cameras (GH4 & LX100) for the most important things, filming the couple and the priest. Sony A7II was pointed towards the musician/singer they had and it also filmed the attendants and surround things. An action camera was up on the balcony (where the organ is) for "Birdseye", I controlled this from my iPhone.

In the end I picked up the E-M1 with m.zuiko 45 f1.8. I recorded some close ups of the couple and took some photos of them. I recorded with E-M1 handheld, the rest of the cameras were tripod mounted. IBIS and m.zuiko 45 f1.8, nothing beats that combination (maybe the 75 but I don't have that lens). The E-M1 behaved great!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I was watching a football (soccer) game today. When I entered through the gate a security guard wanted to inspect my little camera bag. I told him that I have only a tiny little camera with me. He would never had let me in with my Nikon D610. But the OM-D E-M1 without grip cannot be a "serious" tool as it is so tiny ;) 

I really enjoyed the game through my E-M1 although I only had my Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 with me. It was raining and it is my only weather sealed lens for m4/3:s at this moment. I was quite close so I got some good photos, sitting close to one end of the pitch with one goal.

When I got time to edit the photos, all taken in RAW, I'll maybe post some.

Great to have a little not so "serious" camera that can go to places where the Nikon cannot ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.