1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

optyczne reviews the Olympus 25/1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Apr 28, 2014.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Full lab test of the 25/1.8 is now up at optyczne. Text is in Polish, but the charts (sharpness, CA et al.) are pretty self explanatory. Lenstip will probably have an English translation in a few days.

EDIT: English translation is now up at lenstip.

Sharpness look very good at wider apertures:
    110783_roz.

The Panasonic 25/1.4 for comparison:
    3474_roz.

If only the Olympus were 2/3 stop faster...

• Like Like x 4
  2. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Nice to see that supports my own experience; it's sharper wide open, a little less sharp in the center when both are at F1.8/F2, but still sharper in the corners. Again, the drop off of sharpness across the frame for the Panasonic is much more noticeable than any loss in center sharpness in the Olympus. But of course, the Olympus doesn't do F1.4, and has different rendering qualities. That's some pretty steep drop off at smaller apertures though. F22 looks barely useable.

3. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    It's great how sharp it is for how small it is.

4. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Looking at these charts it makes me wonder, where's about does diffraction kick in on most M43 lenses? F/8?

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I guess in theory it could be valuable for certain macro shots, if focus stacking were not an option. Personally, I've never shot past f/16, and that only rarely. Just remember that f/22 on this sensor is like f/8 on a 1/1.7" compact...

Diffraction is a function of the sensor, not the lens, and yes, it is fully recorded around f/7.1 on a 16MP m4/3-sized sensor. That said, there are some lenses where the gains from stopping down will still outweigh the losses to diffraction (like the 14-150 at the long end). As a rule of thumb, most m4/3 lenses seem to achieve optimal sharpness around 2 stops down from wide open, though it certainly varies.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    8ish. altho w/ hyperfocus on the 1/2th reduced FL i never really need to push smaller than f11 or f13

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    These charts makes both lenses look good!
    I with the Lumix was prettier.
    The Olympus looks and feels good.

8. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Interesting to note that at peak sharpness, the PL25 is noticeably sharper across the frame. It is of ourse noticeably much larger as well with hood. You can see a 9-10 lpmm in mtf50 easily.

9. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Am I missing something? I don't see a 9-10 lpmm difference anywhere on the graphs. At peak sharpness, maybe 1 or 2, definitely not visible.

Edit: sorry, edge sharpness at f4 better on the Panasonic, sorry. Probably visible in landscapes.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    One interesting comparison is the sharpness of the 25/1.8 and the 17/1.8.

17/1.8:
    3752_roz.

25/1.8
    110783_roz.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Interesting. That seems rather different than the graphic at SLRGear.com would seem to indicate. (Not arguing, just thinking out loud.)

12. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    It's look like a logical F1.8 sharpness lens curve. Noting that the summilux being faster and sharper in the center is quite an achievement whilst being poorer on the edge is physics laws.

13. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm rather suspicious of SLRGear. In addition to refusing to standardize their test camera (for a given mount), they manage to get substantially different results with lens designs that are nearly or exactly identical. They're also not measuring MTFs, so it's possible that whatever they are recording follows different patterns.

True - it's easier to make an f/1.8 design that sharpens up than an f/1.4 one that does. All things considered, I'd probably recommend the Olympus to most people (especially with the recent price increases on the Panasonic), but for my purposes, f/1.4 is still quite valuable, at least until our sensors get another stop better at high ISO.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Actually, lack of corner sharpness is only a definite disadvantage if you are photographing brick walls or other planar surfaces. :smile: It is sometimes an advantage in real life photography (although that is random chance rather than by design). :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    lenstip.com has the English version now.

16. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Wishful thinking.

17. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, it's there now.

Looks like they only found two items to complain about in their conclusion: noticeable vignetting and astigmatism up to f/4.0. Contrast that with the very lengthy list of things that are done right - they clearly think it's a winner.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Lenstip measurements also raise my eyebrows sometimes. For example the 12-40mm review, the lens is sharpest at 12mm F2.8 then degrades even stepping down. Certainly a very unusual performance

19. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Not at all. Although it's random and unpredictable, you can have a photo of a group of people with people at the edges closer than the subject who's been focused on. In terms of predictability, it's a whole lot more likely that I'll have "curvature of subject" than that I'll have a planar-flat subject.

20. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I've sold a few landscape photos where edge to edge sharpness is part of the aesthetic of the image.

If you only take pictures of individual objects, corner sharpness may not be critical but for a lot of uses it is.