1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Optycnze reviews the Panasonic X 14-42

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Jun 4, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Review is in Polish (lenstip will have an English translation soon), but the charts are pretty easy to read.

On the whole they seem to like the lens, and saw no particular issues with the OIS/blurring (good sample, unlike mine). Indeed, sharpness is better than the Olympus 12-50 at the wide end.

X 14-42 MTF

3624_roz_centr.

12-50 MTF

3592_roz_centr.

DH

• Like Like x 3
  2. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The translated review is now up at lenstip.

They gave it high marks for size, quality at the center of the frame, stabilization and autofocus, but were less impressed with CA, sharpness at the edges (especially at the long end), distortion (uncorrected), vignetting and flare resistance.

DH

3. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Wow, finally a review for my version of the lens as well, the one that produces good images! Most of the reviews had been of the ones with issues sadly...

Aren't CA corrected on Panasonic bodies anyway?

I love how these guys and photozone.de always have issues with the uncorrected distortions which are almost mostly irrelevant to users. I remember reading about the 14/2.5, terrible distortions, but everyone loves it & the photos it produces.

P.S.: I don't want to know how they removed the lens with the barrel extended to take that photo (if it's a real photo).

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They are. Optyczne uses dcraw to convert files though, so no distortion or CA correction.

Yeah, I don't think the distortion information is really all that useful since almost everybody will use JPEGs or a RAW converter that corrects it.

But now that Nikon, Sony, and others are starting to do these corrections in-camera, I suppose everybody will need to revise their testing procedures in due course...

I wonder if they disabled the 'reset lens' options on the E-PL1? Perhaps that would let them keep it open.

DH

5. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I thought all that would do is reset or resume the focal length set on the lens after a power cycle. My assumption is based on the similarly named function on the Panasonic bodies.

Eh, so what if they did something I'd never do... like take the lens off with the camera powered on (in the name of journalism)?

6. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I do that all the time. It's harmless. In fact, that was the trick to getting an EOS mount lens to stop down if you wanted to use it on a different format: stop down, push DOF preview, and remove the lens. The blades will remain closed.