#OptOutside - Please add your own OptOutside story

if portability to the launch site is an issue, as you describe, the ORU would indeed be a winner over a hard shell.
I would be very interested to hear how you go on Lake Powell on a multi-day trip with the ORU. Despite the waters over there often not having much of wave I hear on occasions the wind can be a nuisance.
My brother has had an Oru kayak for a couple of years, loves it. Paddles it all around little lakes in the Seattle area (and in the sound). It fits in easily in the trunk of his Subaru hatchback

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Wow, what a wonderful thing for REI to do! I'm proud to be a member, although I don't shop there since moving to Canada.

My #OptOutside was first, to do no shopping, then, to crush some pears and make cider, which will make me happier at some future date than any new camera gear could do!

The only problem is that I set the camera down where someone else could grab it… don't know who that old guy was who took over the cider press… :)

_a187093-jpg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

hias

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Hias
Why would using a roof rack be impractical for you?

I don't know how those racks changed over the years, but some time ago it was "buy a new car, buy a new roof rack". I probably change my car more often than others, so it's a thing.
Horrendous gas prices are another issue.
Aaaand I travel 4-5 times a year via plane, it would be nice to take a kayak with me on one trip or another.

I did some research and figured one with a frame and skin may be the way to go. They seem to be more solid vs rocks, and usable on the sea too. The downside is, it takes way more time to assemble the boat...

I should go to a shop or something and take a look at the options.

My brother has had an Oru kayak for a couple of years, loves it. Paddles it all around little lakes in the Seattle area (and in the sound). It fits in easily in the trunk of his Subaru hatchback

You by any chance know which one he has?

I should add that the Oru is also great for people who live in apartments and don't have room to store a kayak. The guy in the Oru in my photos is getting one because he doesn't have room to store one, even tho he did measure the living room to prove to his wife the wall in the living room was long enough (would just have to put the kayak behind the TV).

I don't know how those racks changed over the years, but some time ago it was "buy a new car, buy a new roof rack". I probably change my car more often than others, so it's a thing.

Mostly now it is just changing the clips. The bars and towers will typically work across many vehicles. But you could get unlucky and need new towers.

Aaaand I travel 4-5 times a year via plane, it would be nice to take a kayak with me on one trip or another.

With their optional backpack you can check the kayak on a plane. or some other suitable container to drop it in.

I did some research and figured one with a frame and skin may be the way to go. They seem to be more solid vs rocks, and usable on the sea too. The downside is, it takes way more time to assemble the boat...

Actually I think the Oru would be better on rocks. Those skins are more likely to rip, but the Oru is pretty damn impact resistant.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The model in my photos isn't really designed for the sea/waves and can't be rolled. But their other models are.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I should go to a shop or something and take a look at the options.

You really should, there a lot of options out there. Oru isn't the only foldable one out there, it's just the fist one I have had the chance to paddle.

Wow, what a wonderful thing for REI to do! I'm proud to be a member, although I don't shop there since moving to Canada.

My #OptOutside was first, to do no shopping, then, to crush some pears and make cider, which will make me happier at some future date than any new camera gear could do!

The only problem is that I set the camera down where someone else could grab it… don't know who that old guy was who took over the cider press… :)

View attachment 698859

Looks like a great way to spend Black Friday, especially later when that cider is ready to drink.

You by any chance know which one he has?

I should add that the Oru is also great for people who live in apartments and don't have room to store a kayak. The guy in the Oru in my photos is getting one because he doesn't have room to store one, even tho he did measure the living room to prove to his wife the wall in the living room was long enough (would just have to put the kayak behind the TV).
He has the original one. I think it might be called "The Bay"

if portability to the launch site is an issue, as you describe, the ORU would indeed be a winner over a hard shell.
I would be very interested to hear how you go on Lake Powell on a multi-day trip with the ORU. Despite the waters over there often not having much of wave I hear on occasions the wind can be a nuisance.

You seem not only skeptical but also stuck on the idea of kayaks being designed for only one type of paddling, which is the way you use them. I was honestly skeptical about the Oru (any foldup for that matter) until I had a chance to paddle one for myself. They also design kayaks for many different activities now. The one in your photo would be completely useless in the Bald Cypress swamps I like to paddle and the one I like to use in those swamps is completely useless in the surf (although I have braved it off the coast to get to a place to photograph wildlife, not something I would advise someone who isn't an experienced paddler try). My current favorite photography platform was designed to be a duck hunting platform, it's an Ascend H12. It is super wide (32") and doesn't paddle as well as my other kayaks. But it is super stable, so it is a great photography platform. It is the first I have owned that I feel comfortable enough to stand and take photos in, something I wouldn't do in my other kayaks. My Liquid Logic Manta Ray is the perfect fishing platform and the one I typically take if I am shooting off the coast. But neither of those would be my choice to run down a river with some classified rapids (although I have taken both down rivers with Class III rapids), for that I would use my Liquid Logic Remix 59. I sold both of my old Eddylines because I just never used them, they were your typical sea/touring kayaks.

Now...……………

Will the Oru paddle in the wind as well as my old Eddylines or like one of your kayaks? Nope. But it will paddle in it just as well if not better than other kayaks in it's same class. Would something else be a better choice for paddling in the wind? Yep. But that something else wouldn't be as comfortable or stable as the Oru. Sometimes I want a performance machine and sometimes I want something stable and comfortable. Just like we have cars for different types of driving (wouldn't take a Porsche where I take my Jeep) and different types of bikes for different terrain (it's why I own 6 different bikes)………...we have kayaks designed for different types of paddling.

He has the original one. I think it might be called "The Bay"

That is the more touring/sea kayak one that is designed to be rolled and has the optional skirt just for that. They are nice little kayaks and I have thought about getting one but will probably get the Beach, like the larger cockpit for easy access to my gear.

hias

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Hias
You really should, there a lot of options out there. Oru isn't the only foldable one out there, it's just the fist one I have had the chance to paddle.

Nortik are pretty similar to the Oru. I'll check this out when I'm in munich sometime.

Nortik are pretty similar to the Oru. I'll check this out when I'm in munich sometime.

I should also in all fairness state that I am looking at the Oru's specifically because of the discount I can get from working for REI.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
You seem not only skeptical but also stuck on the idea of kayaks being designed for only one type of paddling, which is the way you use them. I was honestly skeptical about the Oru (any foldup for that matter) until I had a chance to paddle one for myself. They also design kayaks for many different activities now. The one in your photo would be completely useless in the Bald Cypress swamps I like to paddle and the one I like to use in those swamps is completely useless in the surf (although I have braved it off the coast to get to a place to photograph wildlife, not something I would advise someone who isn't an experienced paddler try). My current favorite photography platform was designed to be a duck hunting platform, it's an Ascend H12. It is super wide (32") and doesn't paddle as well as my other kayaks. But it is super stable, so it is a great photography platform. It is the first I have owned that I feel comfortable enough to stand and take photos in, something I wouldn't do in my other kayaks. My Liquid Logic Manta Ray is the perfect fishing platform and the one I typically take if I am shooting off the coast. But neither of those would be my choice to run down a river with some classified rapids (although I have taken both down rivers with Class III rapids), for that I would use my Liquid Logic Remix 59. I sold both of my old Eddylines because I just never used them, they were your typical sea/touring kayaks.

Now...……………

Will the Oru paddle in the wind as well as my old Eddylines or like one of your kayaks? Nope. But it will paddle in it just as well if not better than other kayaks in it's same class. Would something else be a better choice for paddling in the wind? Yep. But that something else wouldn't be as comfortable or stable as the Oru. Sometimes I want a performance machine and sometimes I want something stable and comfortable. Just like we have cars for different types of driving (wouldn't take a Porsche where I take my Jeep) and different types of bikes for different terrain (it's why I own 6 different bikes)………...we have kayaks designed for different types of paddling.
You got me: I am skeptical by nature and never an "early adopter" of technology that has not been extensively tested by a wide range of users.
In saying that ORU is not totally new to the paddling scene but the numbers sold make me... skeptical.
I believe I mentioned earlier that we all have different needs and expectations, likes and goals. It appears than mine are different than yours.
About being "stuck" on the idea of what a kayak should look like... well, one could maybe make a comparison on the choice of vehicle some make? ;)
I am rather demanding on the performance of my kayaks and somehow I have some residual doubt that the ORU could handle this

However I am always open to try something different and be proven that the "new thing" is indeed better. It just gets expensive to make mistakes on my coin, I prefer others to be the testers. :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom