Options

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by swampduck, Jan 10, 2017.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I currently have the Sigma 19mm and realized I am more of a zoom type of person. I am returning it, but am looking to replace it. I don't like the way the kit lens 14-42 needs to be "unlocked" and for some reason I don't like the fact it zooms out so far for such a short zoom length.
    I am thinking of the 12-50EZ since it is all internal zooming. Amazon has the international version for $135. Any other options out there that are sub $400?

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I was never really a fan of the un-lock / lock either. But the 12-50 is pretty long as well, too long and thin IMHO. It's also a power zoom lens that can be handy for video or something that annoys you (I'm not a power zoom fan personally). It does have a handy macro function and a lens function button that works with Oly bodies (what body do you have?). The 12-50 does have a little bit of bad reputation. But I think that might be more a result of the original asking price than that it's really a bad lens.

My personal favorite for a small kit type zoom is the Pan 12-32 pancake zoom. It does "retract", but no locking button and I find the 12-14mm more useful than the 32-42mm was. For $400 you might be able to get both the 12-32 and the companion 35-100 (both f/3.5-5.6).

There are also 14-140/150 options for under $400 as well from both Panasonic and Olympus. I have the vII of the Panasonic 14-140, since I have a Panasonic body the vII gives me dual IS with the body and lens working together.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you are okay with a zoom lever rather than a ring, the tiny Panasonic 14-42 PZ pancake is also extremely cheap these days, around $150. The image quality has always been pretty decent (better than the old P14-42 version I), but it earned a bad reputation of being strongly affected by shutter shock, and I don't think it ever really recovered from that. I don't see it very often anymore, but it's not a bad lens. Many modern bodies can be made immune to shutter shock in one way or another (EFCS or electronic shutter), so it's not nearly the issue it once was.

I don't love zoom lever, but if you're shooting video, it could even be considered a bonus. It doesn't need to be unlocked, at least.

4. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Panasonic 12-60. Many are buying them as part of a kit with the G85 and moving them new/unused on eBay for $300 or less.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The crazy left-field option is the Olympus 4/3 14-54/2.8-3.5 II + adapter. It's much bigger and heavier, but it will give you the image quality and aperture of your Sigma 19mm but with the flexibility of a zoom, fits in your $400 budget, and the version II should also focus decently well on any body you happen to have, since it is CDAF enabled. And it's even weather-sealed. Avoid the version 1 unless you have an E-M1, which I'm guessing you don't.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Same with the Pan 12-32 from GX85s and there have been many floating around from GM1s and GM5s. It's actually also one of the reasons the Oly 12-50 is so cheap, it wouldn't surprise me to find out more of the ones for sale came from original E-M5s than were purchased separately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    My first choice would be the Oly 12-50. It's weathersealed, it has a great range, does stunning macro, and I've always been impressed by the image quality I've gotten out of this lens (especially for the price). Lots to like, very little to dislike. (Dislike: It's slow...especially on the long end).

Second choice: Panasonic 12-32. It's tiny and light, and has good IQ. But...no macro, weathersealing, or longer focal length, and at equivalent FLs, just as slow as the 12-50.

8. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Another option to consider is the Panasonic 14-42 Mk2 version, these can be identified by "HD" in red or white on the lens. Mk1 version not recommended.

Most have a plastic mount, but image quality supposed to be top notch. One of the best M43 kit lenses.

Pick them up dirt cheap as well, just ordered one for myself.

9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Yet another option if you are willing to up your budget and buy used, the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 can often be found for around $500 or a tad over that second hand. I suspect with the new versions Panasonic has released the first version will be even cheaper maybe? But a pro level lens that is weatherproof, able to do f2.8 through the zoom range, and while not an internal zoom it does not extend out very much.

10. The current 12-60 is splash-sealed and I like it quite a bit. It's pretty thick but not a large lens. I picked it up on the forum for under $250.
    When the time comes remember the Lumix 45-175, no seals but internal zoom keeps it smaller, and it yields good results.