Options for raw converter for old version of lyotoOS X

DaveyA

Mu-43 Regular
My iMac is running OS X 10.6.8 and as far as I know there are no options to update it. I would like to try and process some raw files but most of the software that I found is not supported by my aging system. Is there anything I could try? Actually it's the same story for the other photo editing software that I have installed, it's all a bit outdated now. I would love to but I can't really afford to splurge on a new Mac. I wonder if maybe a reasonably priced modern desktop pc could be used just for storing and editing my photos.

DaveyA

Mu-43 Regular
I just noticed that the title of my thread reads rather strange. I don't know where the "lycos" part came from. I don't know how to edit the title but it should be Mac OS X.
Sorry for any confusion.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
SilkyPix will run on MacOS 10.6.8 (as the minimum supported version!). There is a free version bundled with Panasonic, or you'd have to buy it for Olympus.

You could run GIMP 2.8.10, which isn't too far out of date, as a free editor. You can use the UFRAW plugin to do RAW if you choose.

As far as Adobe, You could do Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop Elements 11, using the DNG converter if your camera is too new for them to support. Lightroom, you'd be stuck on 4, which is too old, IMHO.

What camera(s) do you use? If it's a little older, then you are OK using older versions of software that may run on your OS.

And what computer model do you have, maybe someone can say for sure if it can be upgraded. If you can get to 10.10+ most of the latest software will run.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Another, more complicated solution would be to install Linux on your Mac.
Then you would have a lot of options.

kenez

Mu-43 Regular
I'm running 10.8.5 and had a similar problem in that I have some legacy software that prevents me from updating to a newer version of OS X. When I bought my E-M1 Mk 2 I couldn't open the RAW files. After doing some research I settled on Affinity Photo. It is very similar to Photoshop (I have CS6) but there is no subscription involved. There is both a desktop and iPad version and they support 10.8.5 and I know they go back to at least 10.7.5. You might ask a question on their user forum about 10.6.8. The desktop version is around $50. It is very full featured and gets good reviews.

DaveyA

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the suggestions, quite a few optionsfor me to try.
I am using an EM5 mk1 and a Leica D2.
As for the computer itself, it is an Intel Core Duo 2ghz, so getting on a bit. It has 2gb of memory and 250gb hard drive.
Thanks again.

DaveyA

Mu-43 Regular
I have tried Rawtherapee but I find the oldest version that will work for me is 3.0.
I tried 4.2.1 and 4.1.1 and the programme will not open after installing from the disc img.

gpburdell

Mu-43 Veteran
As for the computer itself, it is an Intel Core Duo 2ghz, so getting on a bit. It has 2gb of memory and 250gb hard drive.
That goes back a ways. It's what, about 11 years old?

Might be worth considering a platform upgrade. The 2012 Mac mini is still a pretty decent platform and can be upgraded to 16GB ram and two 2.5" drives (spindle or SSD) using a kit from OWC (MacSales.com). It'll drive a 27" 1440p monitor just fine. The site refurb.me consolidates refurbished mac computers from various other sites and has a lot of good search options. Those sites assume you're in the US, not sure of your options elsewhere.

Latest threads

Top Bottom