1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Option to turn off low light gain in EVF?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sheygetz, Aug 24, 2010.

1. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I wonder if it is possible to turn-off or modify the EVF's (and lcd's) gaining behaviour in low light. I would prefer for it to look "real", i.e. match the actual light situation. Imho this behaviour contributes to the unnatural CCTV look that I personally hate. (Btw, I'm talking E-P2 here.)

Hendrik

2. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    I have the E-PL1, and you can turn off the "Live View Boost", which is what they call it. I don't know if the setting is accessed in the exact same way on the E-P2, so I'll leave it to someone who owns that camera to tell you how to turn it off.

Regarding the EVF, I guess it's something that never really struck me, but thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it does get brighter in low light even though I have the live view boost turned off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Ahhh ... found it. Well, in German "they call it" - re-translated - Live View Extension :rolleyes: I wonder which Japanese word translates into English as Boost and into German as Extension. But Oly manuals have always been a disaster.

However, that doesn't solve my problem, i.e. this artificial look. Pointing the lens into the sun, I found that the vf doesn't actually gain as in that case the view was not brighter but darker than the real world. So, it somehow has a mind of its own, does it?

I read in quite a few places that one of the many boons of EVIL cams was that you got some kind of WYSIWYG effect, where any manipulation of controls - exp comp, styles, etc. - was instantly visible in the vf. But what with the vf evening out ambient lighting situations, that doesn't work. Am I missing out on something or is everybody else just fine with this?

Hendrik

4. DDG

DDG Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2010
    Well, I'm fine with it for my purposes, which are to use it as a replacement for the LCD when the sun is too bright to comfortably use the LCD, to make it easier to photograph something that it below waist height from its height, and to stabilze the camera sometimes. I only have the kit lens, so I'm not doing a lot of manual focusing.

The LCD does give you a closer approximation of what the photo will look like on your monitor (if the view isn't being destroyed by glare, that is, in which case the EVF beats it all to heck), and I was unpleasantly surprised the first few times I used the EVF to adjust exposure compensation downward. The pictures came out too dark. But, after a while, I got to the place where I more or less knew how the photo would look on the monitor, even though the scene looked different through the EVF.

5. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    DDG,

You're doing much better than me if you're able to judge what a picture will look like by using the LCD or the EVF.

I haven't had much luck in that area and rely on the histogram instead.

I've been using digital cameras since they first became popular but would be lost without the histogram. Several years ago, before I learned how to use it, I'd get very frustrated trying to get my pictures to turn out the way I thought they should be.

I finally gave up on relying upon the LCD.

Some are better than others but I've found the Olympus LCDs to be unreliable (at least for me).