1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Optimizing Photos in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dav1dz, May 29, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I'm not new to Lightroom, and even then this video taught me a few things.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYVvwCWVC0]Optimizing Photos in Lightroom - YouTube[/ame]

Good watch if you have a bit of time.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting, I learned a few new tricks. :cool:

3. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I've only watched part of the video but have already learned a trick or two. I'll watch the rest this evening and hope to learn a few more.

I always say that if you can learn one new thing every day then the day hasn't been wasted

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Same here, user since the beta, but this was a worthwhile use of time (though I admit watching it on a stationary bike on an iPad, with a Dictaphone handy to keep notes :redface: :biggrin:).

Thank you very much for the tip.

BTW/FWIW, there's a similarly good B&H video on Olympus menus that, while it does not specifically address the EM-5, is nevertheless mostly applicable. :thumbup:

5. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing, watching it right now. Been using LR since the first beta, but learning quite a bit now.

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Does anyone agree with this guy about not using the curves menu in favor of the adjustment sliders above it?? I thought it was the opposite?

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sliders and quick and dirty ... tone curve is for serious detail work.

8. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I do up to a point. I generally don't touch the curves in Lightroom. If I think I need it, I take it into Photoshop, where I think curves are implemented a whole lot better.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Probably 85% of photos do just fine with the sliders. Mostly I use the curves section to move the target areas rather than to actually adjust the curves themselves.

10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Curves have gotten better in Lightroom 4 but I've already gotten accustomed to using sliders by now. I haven't seen any real detriment in using only sliders or curves, whatever you're comfortable with! Understanding what those sliders and curves do is more important.

11. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Very good video, many thanks!!!