1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Optimizing In-Camera JPEG Settings on Panasonic Bodies

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wanjeyin, Mar 30, 2011.

1. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Hi all,

Time to take words into action, hence this "mini-database" thread. I implore you all to please keep this thread pure and true to its intent as a "mini-database" of settings and to keep it free from the RAW vs. JPEG debating. That's what the other threads are for.

I'm an amateur and all I'm interested is getting the most out of my camera.

I propose that your settings be summarized as follows:

Camera:
    - Panasonic G1/G2/G10/GF1/GF2/GH1/GH2 etc.

Mode:
    - PASMC etc.......

White Balance:
    - Auto/Sunny/Cloudy etc....

WB Settings:
    - M =
    - G =
    - Y =
    - B =

Film Mode:
    - Preset/My Film

My Film Settings:
    - Contrast =
    - Sharpness =
    - Saturation =
    - Noise Reduction =

User Comments:
    - General observations and comments

Using PJohngren's example here's what I gather:

Camera:
    - Panasonic GF1

Mode:
    - Custom

White Balance:
    - Cloudy

WB Settings:
    - M = +2
    - G =
    - Y =
    - B = +1

Film Mode:
    - My Film

My Film Settings:
    - Contrast = -1
    - Sharpening = +2
    - Saturation = +1
    - Noise Reduction = -2

User Comments:
    I myself have a GF1. I agree with the prevailing view regarding the stock standard setting. Standard is standard! Colours aren't meant to "pop" or "stand-out". Standard is merely meant to represent closely to what we actually see, and not what we like to see. Having said that I appreciate all the efforts going on here to optimize the JPEGs coming out from the camera.

Regards,
    AJW

• Like Like x 1
  2. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Cameras : G1 & GF1

Standard film
    WB auto
    contrast 0
    saturation 0
    sharpness + 2
    nr 0

Lost as to why anyone uses Cloudy WB. Does it not give an over warm very brown look, oh well, perhaps its just me.

Just a thought, may I mention something that the purist may regard with as much disgust as murder and arson ?

The Panasonic iA Mode ! yes ladies and gentlemen I mention the mode beloved by beginners, and those who cannot be asked to press a setting button.

iA mode does not permit the user to change many items, indeed, sat, contrast, sharpness and noise reduction are out of bounds. Whilst it seems to be a simple mode its far from stupid, it will auto compensate for backlight along with a few other goodies.

How do Panasonic arrive at the default settings ? (1) They employ those who must be amongst the best brains in the (photo) world. (2) The company has multi million yen/$/£ to invest in research and development.

I may have been interested in photography for 40 + years but, in view of the above, I think Panasonic know a whole lot more than me. When playing with your settings, well, could you just spare a thought for our clever friends at Panasonic...........

• Like Like x 1
  3. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Camera:
    - Panasonic GF1

Mode:
    - Aperture

White Balance:
    - Auto

WB Settings:
    - M = Default
    - G = Default
    - Y = Default
    - B = Default

Film Mode:
    - Standard

My Film Settings:
    - Contrast = 0
    - Sharpness = +1
    - Saturation = +2
    - Noise Reduction = 0

User Comments:
    Amidst all the talk of how much we admire the Olympus/Canon colours and how we want Panny JPEGs to pop like they do, I find I'm quite the reverse. Surprisingly, even to me, I've been using this slightly modified setting quite often to capture images that are fairly representative of what I actually see. This setting is fairly close to standard, but provides a little bit more colour. I use this setting primarily during my day-job as an environmental scientist at job sites and contaminated sites excavations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I will gladly give three cheers to Panasonic for giving us these terrific cameras. "Standard" is only one of the film modes they gave us and even that one has the ability to be optimized. I give thanks for the clever folks at Panasonic every time I even hold my G1 or GF1. That they had the thoughtfullness to allow me to tweak my images to this degree in camera before the jpeg is created is astounding. I have sold my Nikons and even my point and shoots are Panasonic.

Here are my settings:
    A tweaked Dynamic film mode setting with contrast at -1, sharpenning at +2, saturation at +1 and noise reduction at -2.

I have tested out all five possible 'sharpenning' settings, and find you can easily crank it all the way up and you still need a little more sharpenning in something like Photoshop. Doing this causes no ill effects. Remember, it is being done on the data coming off the sensor before it is saved as a jpeg.

For outdoor shooting, I use a WB of Clowdy but adjust it one notch toward blue and two notches toward magenta. I like a warm look, but not greenish or "muddy." I move the Cloudy WB one notch toward blue to make it a little less yellow, and two notches toward magenta to take away that greenish/brownish muddy cast.

I leave the camera set at the default sRGB setting. This is best for jpegs and is essentially the standard if you ever want outside prints made or want to do a book on Blurb.com or have posters made etc. It is also how all LCD monitors are set up, so you will get a totally accurate look at your image.

Am thrilled that we can get into this type of a discussion - thanks!!

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Interesting! I would think it would be very important to render scenes like you're capturing in true colors and tones without any enhancement or manipulation, particularly if reports to government agencies are part of the process.

6. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    That is fascinating. I am probably trying a little more to capture images which also include the way I feel about the scene before me. If the sky is an incredible blue, I will want that to be emphasized. The wonderful thing is that with these settings, in both WB and Film Mode, we can get these cameras to give us what we want and need for our individual purposes.

7. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Thanks for the comment! Indeed, the ability to optimize an image and save as a JPEG is important in the workplace, well at least in the last two places I've worked at (government and private). Both of these emphasize the importance of saving disk space, hence RAW is out of the question! Of course, in such occupations, we're dealing mainly with field staff who are issued the cheapest P&S cameras available! I just happen to prefer using my GF1, even if it is my own. :smile:

Regards,
    AJW

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I had started a thread a while ago, there's a bunch of settings in there already

https://www.mu-43.com/f43/jpg-engine-settings-7364/

Perhaps a mod can merge the threads

I'm not sure how keen I am on the couple bumps towards magenta - sometimes my skies have a bit of a pinkish cast

9. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    One additional point concerns the noise reduction setting. I seem to be shooting most of the time in ISO 200. With the image stabilization and/or the fast lenses like the 20mm, I have not needed to go above 800. Consequently, I have the noise reduction down as far as it will go at -2 just to ensure I don't lose any detail. So far this seems to be working fine.

10. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    Waiting_for_Spring.

Took this image this morning using the tweaked Cloudy WB and other settings on my GF1 as stated above. The lens is the Pan/Leica 45mm. In Photoshop I did a little more sharpenning and brightened up the shadow areas a bit, but didn't do anything else - no color adjustment. So far these settings seem to work great in any outdoor situation I have tried so far.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not to sound like an ass, but there's no blue sky in that picture, not sure how that addresses my concern. :)

12. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    On_the_Banks_of_the_Susquahana.

I used the same setting on this one as well. I think I was using three notches toward magenta a while back, and did get a slight magenta cast to the sky, so have backed off to two notches toward magenta. I suppose it is whatever you like.

I put up today's picture because it was rather monochromatic, and thought that if there was a color cast to the settings, it would show up maybe with pink snow. Also, it feels to me that you can settle pretty much on one outdoor setting, and it seems to work for everything. Whatever the color of the light is, depending on the weather and time of day, that is what you get in the picture.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Does anyone else have anything to add to the idea of using -2 NR, and how big a difference do you find pjohngren ?

14. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    Actually I don't know if the NR is always operational or if it depends on the ISO setting. I just generally don't like noise reduction occuring across the image. It can be fine if affecting the sky, but in other areas of a picture, like trees with lots of detail, then you wouldn't see the noise anyway and would want all the detail you can get.

The camera manuals (GF1/G1) imply that noise reduction sacrifices some detail. If I had to reduce noise, I would prefer to select the area of the image in Photoshop, and just reduce the noise in that area.

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I agree.

Separate settings are definitely required for outdoor and indoor though IMHO

16. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    Yes - and I haven't discovered them yet. Of course the light source indoors is so much more varied.

17. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
  18. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Thanks for that. I was thinking the same that the lower the ISO the less effort the NR will make. Now trying -2 but I am on 100 ISO nearly all the time. So far it seems to be going well.

19. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    The above "Commander Spike" settings added to our database and summarized below:

Camera:
    Applies to all Panasonic MFT cameras.

Mode:
    - Unknown

White Balance:
    - Any

WB Settings:
    - M = +1
    - G =
    - Y = +2
    - B =

Film Mode:
    - Nostalgia

My Film Settings:
    - Contrast = +2
    - Sharpness = User preference
    - Saturation = +2
    - Noise Reduction =

User Comments:
    This is supposed to give "Canon-like" appearance to OOC JPEGs. Although not explicitly stated, according to the pictures, they seem to be applied to an indoor environment. According to Commander Spike, "the Lumix sensors are also all a bit predisposed to green at the expense of warm reds, yellows and oranges. Energy saving lightbulbs especially don't help, since these have a green cast and the GH2 exaggerates it".

Regards,
    AJW

20. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Another one from DPR from a member by the username "High on ISO"
    Don't give up on GH2 OOC JPGS: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

This one is supposed to make "GH2 OOC JPGS as good as Oly":

Camera:
    GH2

Mode:
    - Unknown

White Balance:
    - Auto

WB Settings:
    - M =
    - G = +1
    - Y =
    - B = +3 to +5

Film Mode:
    - Dynamic

My Film Settings:
    - Contrast =
    - Sharpness = +2
    - Saturation = +2
    - Noise Reduction = -2

User Comments:
    I can't help but think that the above settings would result in a very grainy and cold picture. Also, Panasonic cameras seem to have some sort of tint associated to them. I've come across "greenish" "cool" and yes, even "magenta". Don't know how the above settings would improve matters on Panasonic bodies. Then again, I have only a GF1. Guess everyone's eyes are different, eh? I'll try and see.

Regards,
    AJW