1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Optimal Settings for E-PL3 for specific lens & situations

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nudniq, Feb 2, 2012.

1. nudniq

nudniq New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right area to post this (let me know so I can move it, and also how to do that if so).

I was wondering if someone can recommend settings for use with Panasonic 20mm F1.7 and Olympus 45mm F1.8 lens in low light situations for portrait/group pictures, for example in a restaurant with low ambient light
    I'm very new at amateur photography, playing around with the PASM (and iauto) modes and I've looked into the E-PL3 menu system, and activated the Super Control Panel and played with that however I'm looking for good settings to use in low light (such as flash intensity, white balance, keep warm colours, sharpness, noise filter, noise reduction, shutter/aperture etc.). I'm sure I'll figure it out in time, but if any of you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. tags07

tags07 New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2012
    25mm f/1.4 will be the best for low light...

3. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    Since you only mention those 2 lenses, for group is 20mm and for portrait it's 45mm. If I were you, I will stick to 20mm, because it's usually crowded and people will ask you to take their picture. So it's quite bothersome if you have to change lenses between group and portrait.

I personally don't like A Mode (aperture priority) in Olympus , especially when it's low light situation. The shutter speed will be mantained on 1/60th - 1/100th that will bump your ISO and makes your photo noisier.

I like to use S mode (shutter priority mode) with Image Stabilizer on. For group, I usually maintain my aperture to maybe f2.8 - f3. It depends on how many row is your group photo. If it is only 1 row, f2 is enough. If it is 2, maybe you better use f3 and so on.

Noise filter off for me (because it takes too long to apply the noise filter to the image, especially if you shoot with lower shutter speed). Noise reduction...you have to compare it by yourself.

White balance : depends on light, you must try. There's no fix setting.
    Flash : for fast action, use fill in option :biggrin:

4. nudniq

nudniq New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada

Thank you zerotiu, I'll give those settings a try tonight before the party night.

Cheers!