1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Optical Viewfinders

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by slothead, May 31, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I have been "in the dark" (no pun intended) about optical viewfinders forever! I don't like waiting for the electronics to turn on before being able to frame and compose images (and even decide it want to take a shot), so it seems that an OVF is the perfect accessory! The concern I have is carrying around 2 or 3 of them to properly frame my subject based on the lens I have on the camera.

I seem to recall that back in the "old days" there were sometimes lines engraved in the VF optics to indicate the field of view for particular focal lengths. Is that true of some of the modern VFs? I suspect not or the advertisers would include TTV ("through-the-viewfinder") images to show the purchasers what they were getting.

Comments?

2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    The Helios multifinder has frames for 35, 85 and 135 on 35mm film. These would be quite close to your 20, 45 and 75 lenses. They can be had from ebay. This listing shows the brightlines quite clearly. Or you could get one of these :)

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Some of the CV finders have multiple frame lines. Really nice, but also a touch pricey.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Haha! That Russian thing is hilarious Mark! Good one.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Kinlau, I'm not familiar with CV finders. Is that a brand or an abbreviation or what - Might you have a link?

Thanks,

6. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    CV = Cosina/Voigtlander. They made a range of very high quality finders to match their lenses. They also made 2 ltm bodies with no built in finders. Voigtlander Bessa RF Accessories. A lot of these are now discontinued.

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    That's it. Thanks.