Optical quality Oly EM 10 vs Canon G7X Mark ii ?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by crossen, Jul 23, 2016.

1. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    I am wondering which of these is sharper. I refer to the Oly EM 10 but I am also curious about the Oly EM 10 Mark 2, versus the new Canon G7X Mark 2.

The web based photos I find hard to interpret, so all opinions and observations by posters here would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Krugman

2. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    What lens on the em10 or em10ii? Regardless of which one is sharper (since you're not really comparing apples to apples)...I'll take the em10ii over the canon, for the simple fact that I can put anything from a razor sharp fisheye to a portrait lens like a 75mm to a telephoto like a 300f4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    Thank you for your reply. I think your point is good. I am thinking of the Pana 20mm f1.7 and the Oly 45mm f1.8 as my most used lenses.
    Does this help in the optical quality comparison?
    Thanks,
    Crossen

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Definitely - in that both lenses you mention are strong performers and clearly outclass the bright, but optically otherwise just decent zoom on the G7X II (sharp enough in the center, rather soft in the corners). Both primes are sharper and better corrected - for their size and weight, I'd classify both of them as "amazing". Paired with either of the E-M10 models, you can get fantastic results - and quite a versatile, very balanced setup you can develop further whenever you want.

That said, the Canon is considerably smaller - so if size is a factor, it might still hold an appeal, especially considerings the 24-100mm-e reach. The 1" sensor also outresolves the 16MP :mu43: offering in good light, but doesn't offer comparable low-light performance. So it can be a stunner if you can live with the compromises.

I personally think you can't go wrong with the E-M10 and the two lenses you mentioned, though there are good alternatives (like the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 or the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 - and there's also the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7). I'd probably start with a fast "normal" and then add the tiny 12-32mm for more versatility (especially on the wide end) before getting the portrait tele, but that's a matter of personal preference.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    Both E-M10 and E-M10II are with Oly 45mm f/1.8 sharper than G7X II.
    It's not so surprising as good primes are generally sharper than zooms at the same focal length.

DPreview comparison.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Image quality (sharpnesses, color fringing, noise, distortion, etc.) depends on two things: sensor size and lens (and technique, light, etc. but those are not related to the gear).
    The sensor on the E-M10 is larger (twice the surface) and this is better in low light (late afternoon, indoor) or when the light is ok but your need a fast shutter speed to freeze action for example.

The lens on the G7X is probably nothing exceptional. In general fixed lenses, like the two you mention, are better then zoom lenses (with a few exception of very expensive pro zoom lenses). Then the 20 and the 45 are very good primes.

The G7X has a little more megapixels, but megapixels are like slices of cake: you can split it as small as you want to get more slices (megapixels) but it is the size of the cake that matters most.

The image quality of the E-M10 are the same you get from a Canon or Nikon DSLR while I suspect you are assuming that m43 is more similar to enthusiast compact cameras.

7. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I have those lenses and a G7X Mk II. Like said above, big difference in pure IQ. Sharpness and noise is worse on the G7X. But it's sure a handy camera. It really depends on what you do with the photos and if you want a compact with power zoom and limitations compared to a system.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

8. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    Thank you to everyone, you have answered my question exactly, it is very helpful.
    Crossen

• Like Like x 1