Optical pure black foreground from macro ring flash

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
Thank you for checking this thread.

I need a mechanical or optical way to obtain pure black foreground, in front of subject lit by macro ring flash. The ring flash part cannot be changed.

Here is what I managed digitally, but I would prefer an optical method. I have another thread in digital processing section to ask for free or cheap software methods.

Before (what I do NOT want):
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After (what I do want):
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The bright edge there is the edge of a container that has to be there that way. The container edge is closer to flash than the subject (water waves), so it looked bright in my trials, even after being paint with black paint or masked with a macrophotographer - recommended black flocking / card stock.

I was told by a (cymatic photography) expert (who obtains black foreround digitally) that since I light my subject with flash, nothing above it would look pure black.

The ring flash part cannot be changed. I have done experiments and the expert also agrees with that.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As you've found, this is most easily accomplished in software. As physical world solutions, Black 2.0 or Black 3.0 probably have albedo comparable to excellent flocking so Superblack or Vantablack might be more the space to look in. MaxiBlack and Singularity Black are more affordable but the pricing makes GIMP attractive.
Thank you. Great post and knowledge.

I have used a proven solution - the Doodlebug 1898 beetle black crushed velvet cardstock (which still failed to produce pure black foreground in my case). That card stock has been shown at photomacrography.net by comparisons done by serious macrophotographers , to be as black as Ventablack or Black 2.0 (I cannot remember exactly which one, but it is as good as one of the two).

Maybe I am asking the impossible.

GIMP did work quite well and was not difficult to learn.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom