Opteka HD Tele-Zoom Lens for mu-4/3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BAKatz, Apr 6, 2012.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Has anyone had any experience with the Opteka 650-2600 HD Tele-Zoom Lens ? I saw it on Amazon for $269.
    thanks

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    your best bet would also be to leave it on amazon for $269. those kinds of lenses are garbage (sorry if I burst your bubble!).

2600mm is a longer focal length than all but the biggest telescopes - the possibility that opteka could cram anything but the worst plastic and glass chunks inside that housing is scary to think about!

You'd also need a gargantuan tripod to stabilize a telephoto lens of that length.

What are you looking for? What is your intended purpose for using a longer lens? Do you need something longer than 300mm? That is a pretty respectable length considering the crop factor on m4/3 cameras, and there are 3 different lenses available (one via adapter) that have that much reach. Anything longer and you're better off looking for an older telephoto lens...but even those will likely start in the neighborhood of $500 for anything half decent (something like a pentax K or M42 mount 500mm f4.5 would be a good place to look).

Alternatively you can get a relatively inexpensive 500mm or 600mm mirror lens (likely a fixed f8, occasionally f5.6) - these have reasonably good quality and a tamron, tokina or sigma can be in the neighborhood of several hundred dollars. You'll have to buy an appropriate adapter for m4/3 mount, but plenty of us can help with that info!

3. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    The low price actually scared me. Then again so does the $900 tag on the Oly 300mm.
    We're going to Alaska in August and I was hoping to have the 300mm lens. unfortunately, i got hurt at work recently. Though I don't think I'll have to cancel the cruise, I won't be able to get the lens. I have the 150mm so that will have to do.
    Thanks for the response.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If the cost of a decent telephoto is high, have you thought about renting a lens? Looks like LensRentals.com has a 100-300mm - it would be about $120 for 14 days, but that includes 2 day shipping to you and the return shipping (they list shipping cost as $29). Might be worth the expense for a big vacation!

5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Forget the Opteka. It's basically a cheap spotting scope, like a 50mm 15-45x. That's going to be dark, and purple fringing will be bad.

Nikon 300/4.5's go for about $200- on EBay quite regularly. There's lots of them on KEH for under a $100-

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Meh, just buy the Panasonic 100-300 for your trip and sell it afterwards for 50 less than retail.

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Harder then you think. Add in a realistic price closer to $400, fees and shipping costs and that will turn into $100+ in no time flat...or the cost of a rental...rental places will often give an opportunity to put your cost towards buying if you do end up wanting to own it.