1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

opinions wanted...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by adrenalinerush, Dec 19, 2014.

1. adrenalinerush

adrenalinerush New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2014
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this forum but have browsed time to time as a guest. I have a question and was wondering if i can get some feedback... so currently i own an epl2 and have the 25mm 1.8 lens along with the kit lens. Would my best move be to upgrade to an em10 or the epl5 or should i just keep the epl2 and buy another lens (possibly the 60mm macro)? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I just want to be able to take quality pics of my newborn son and be able to use the camera in low light settings. I'm not a photographer or even have a background in it. Thanks!

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think you have an excellent lens already, and the epl2 is a pretty old body... Might be a good time to upgrade to a more recent camera with better high ISO capability and ergonomics. If you want a 60mm, try the excellent Sigma version.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Body upgrade is most obvious move as em10/epl5 will perform about 2 stops better than epl2.
    I'm not sure why would you want 60mm f/2.8 lens for your purposes - imo, 45mm f/1.8 has great price and faster by 1.5 stop.

PS: If budget/size/weight are out of considerations, then Panasonic 42.5 f/1.2 is the best m43 native lens you can get now for kid's shots.

4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    +1 for the EM10 option and the 45mm f1.8 rather than the 60mm
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Agree with the above. If your primary - or only - subject will be the kids, you really don't need a macro lens. You already have a great "normal" lens in the 25 mm f/1.8. That should probably be your primary lens for photographing children. If you want something a little longer (more magnification) so you can shoot from a bit further away or get in tighter, the Olympus 45 mm f/1.8 is a wonderful portrait length lens. I use it almost exclusively for portraits, only switching to the almost as good Sigma 60 mm f/2.8 "Art" when I need a little more reach. The Oly 75 mm f/1.8 is the "pros' portrait lens" but is pretty pricey and really requires a little more shooting room than most of us have in our living rooms. Great for a studio or outdoors, though.

I also agree with the above, that a newer camera body like the OMD-EM10 or EPL5 would give you a substantial improvement in low light performance. I prefer the OMD line but if you are already familiar and comfortable with the EPL2, you might find the transition to another EPL to be a little easier.

It really comes down to how much the budget will support. The nice thing is that any lenses you own will work just fine on the newer bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  6. adrenalinerush

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks everyone for responding. I will def go the new body route. I may have to stick with epl5 just because of budget. Unless i see a sale on the epl7 or em 10. I know the em10 is still on sale for around $699 with 2 kit lenses, which is hard to pass up! Only if it was a little cheaper! Lol

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I had the EPL2 and now have the E-P5 which is a nice upgrade. The main upgrade, however, is on ergonomics and speed of operations. The E-PL2 takes very nice photos and you are not going to see a huge increase in quality by going with a newer body at this time. IMO, save your money and enjoy the camera body you have now. The 25mm f1.8 will give you plenty of extra light compared to the kit lens so this is a good lens to have for taking photos of the kids. If you need more focal length (i.e. you feel you would like to zoom in more than your 25mm allows), then consider getting the 45mm f1.8. In the future, when a true leap in sensor technology comes around, you can upgrade the body for a more significant improvement over your E-PL2 than you can get at this time.

On these forums, we chase after every little change in capability and can talk ourselves into upgrading constantly. I am just trying to throw out another point of view. I have some great photos from my E-PL2 and I really don't think I would notice a significant difference if they came from my E-P5.

Lenses are a much better upgrade and you have already picked up the excellent 25mm which will allow you to get some better shots in lower light compared to your kit lens.

Experiment with how high you can go with the ISO setting. 400, 800, 1600, etc. and lower your f-stop setting and see what you get. You have a great kit already.

8. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Get the 45 1.8 you don't need a macro for pics of kids unless you want a nice close of an eyeball !

9. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I was in the same situation as you years ago with a new born, except I had a GF1 with the kit and the 20mm f1.7.

My advice to you is to make sure you get the 45mm f1.8 first.

The 25mm is a good general purpose lens. But when you want to get close up shots of the baby, particularly the face, you will get barrel distortion and it is not a true representation of your baby. The closer the camera is to the face the more distortion there will be. 45mm gives a nice distance away. You could use the 25mm from far away and crop into the picture to reduce the distortion but you lose both resolution and background blur which is a nice effect with baby shots.

Of course it would be great to also get the EM10 as the new sensor beats the old sensor at high ISO. On my old GF1 anything above iso 800 was noisy. But on the newer sensors I don't mind going to iso 3200.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Do you feel like you need higher/better ISO? If not, then get a new lens.

Put differently: What are you struggling with? Do you find the camera limits you in some way, or do you want a new/different perspective, or try something new? If the former, then upgrade the body. If the latter, then get a new lens.

11. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I will echo Nuclearboy and WT21's comments - when you are using the 25/1.8 lens indoors is there enough light to shoot at low-ish ISO (200-800) and at shutter speeds where you're not getting motion blur from your subject? If the E-PL2 can already handle the kind of shooting you do, then you will probably get a lot more benefit from adding a new lens like the 45/1.8.

On the other hand, if the light is limiting your ability to get the shot, then maybe an upgraded camera/sensor will help so you can increase the ISO. But you can also pick up a flash for less $$$ and bounce it off the ceiling...

12. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I have owned an E-PL2 and now have an E-M10.

I really enjoyed the E-PL2, but the E-M10 is just so much better. It's a very quick camera with great IQ at high ISO and the EVF is a really nice addition. On top of all this are numerous generally useful features such as time lapse, built in HDR and live composition.

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Barrel Distortion is not what you're describing.

See https://bakerdh.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/face-distortion-is-not-due-to-lens-distortion/

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    epl2 to epl5?. Use a tripod on old camera and spend money on 45mm f1.8 . Get new body when prices come down.

15. adrenalinerush

Dec 19, 2014
    Wow I'll take everyones thoughts into consideration. Ultimately its probably the wifey's call. I'll. See what she decides

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Pictures of a newborn w/o flash in darker rooms? Well, if the EPL2 with the 25mm is coming out too grainy for you right now, then moving to the EPL5 or EM10 will fix that. An alternative option is to learn photo processing and use noise reduction software.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yes get an E-M10 (or E-M5, e-p5, e-pL5, e-pm2, e-pL7), if you want low-light without the flash.
    You already own one of only two Olympus bodies with a really useful tiltable pop-up flash, but the sensor is not very good at high-ISO noise.

18. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I would definitely get a new body in your case, gaining 2 stops of low light performance is absolutely substantial IMHO, either from high iso IQ or gaining the extra speed to freeze movement is night and day difference. I can't imagine I can only stick with only iso800 indoor without flash

• Like Like x 1
  19. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Austin, Texas USA
    Jim Phipps
    I upgraded from a Sony NEX 5 to a much better EM10.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Good move........