Opinions please - just one lens?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by swinefever, Feb 1, 2012.

1. swinefever

swinefever New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2012

I'm off to an event this weekend which will be mostly indoors, dark places and very crowded but with a little outdoor trip planned. Security will be an issue at the accommodation so I don't want to take much gear (I might as well hang a sign above the door that says "Please rob me")

I have GH2 and Lumix 14mm and 14-42mm lenses and a Nikon 50mm f14. as well but I really only want to take one lens.

Question is, which one do I take?

And as an aside, which other lens would you rather have?

Your thoughts please...

2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Take the 14-42 . But if a 20 were handy i'd opt for that
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would take either the Lumix 14mm/2.5 or the Nikon 50mm/1.4. However, ideally I would take the Nikon 50mm/1.4 mounted on the camera, with the Lumix 14mm/2.5 in a little pouch which could be thrown in a pocket or belt. Would that be an option? If so, the 14mm and 50mm together will give you very good standard coverage, and I can't imagine the 14mm pancake being too big to toss into some pocket somewhere. Even one of those soft pouches you get some sunglasses in would work, if you have the front and rear caps for the lens. I actually have tiny lens pouches for stuff this size, like the nice hard-bottomed velvet lens pouch that came with my EC-14 teleconverter. :)
  4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Are you going to use flash? If not, the kit lens will be pretty much worthless indoors (you said dark).

You also mention crowded, so that implies to me you will not have much room to maneuver. The 50mm is an effective 100mm telephoto, so you're going to need a bit of room to get the shots you want.

I'm going to reverse Ned's recommendation - keep the 14mm on but if you can spare the room take the 50mm with you too.

Just be careful of the wide angle distortion with the 14mm, if you want to take people pictures.
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I agree with taking both primes if at all possible. Ned's suggestion of a small pouch for the unused lens is good, but whichever lens starts out in it it has to be big enough to hold the 50.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    14 or 20 and use flash
  7. swinefever

swinefever New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2012
    Thanks for this, I think I'd already settled for keeping the 14mm on most of the time, especially while indoors, but also taking the 50mm with me for the one outdoor trip so you guys have confirmed what I thought.

That 20mm is top of my list now for the next one!