1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Opinions on working concept title? Boredom, Ms. Suburbia

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Aug 17, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    So my working title for this shot is "boredom, Ms. Suburbia" in the style of those reality shows. How does it look?

6058394656_73c08be599_b.jpg

2. I have to say, I don't really get it, with or without the title. The dog doesn't look entirely comfortable...

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like the fact that you are working studio shots with m43!

The lightsource draws a bit too much attention, though. It seems like the light is more positioned on her feet, with her head in shadow. I think at least two light sources would have worked better??

Much of your work in your Flickr stream is better than this particular one (more to the point, much of your work is great). Was there an effect you were trying to achieve with the lighting (that maybe I'm missing)?

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Going to agree with WT21.

The feet and legs look bright while her face looks like its in a shadow.

5. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Yes, the lighting was my mistake. I was shooting her just before towards the center of the bed standing up on her knees. I thought I adjusted it enough, but since it's a gridded beauty dish, I should have paid more attention.

With this, I was trying something different, especially since this is during the group shoot and the bed was becoming overused. Maybe I didn't quite get what I wanted after all.

6. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Something like "climbing?" Making the dog the image subject.

7. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    May I be so bold as to correct the English of the title? I suggest, "One bored housewife from the LA suburbs"

8. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Haha, thanks! I made the last minute changes on my Android, so I didn't really double check the grammar. All fixed!

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    kinda like the idea of the theme.... though think the execution here is flawed. Apart from the harsh shadows, the whole composition is too static and undramatic.

I would either go towards a more extreme lighting with heavy fall off... a more paparazzi look or maybe a more mundane bland regular household interior shot, but with the model doing something quirky somewhere within the frame.

If she is a housewife the implication is that she is trapped within her home environment, finding ways to amuse herself... your picture just is a model on a bed

just my thoughts

K

10. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Ok, so I adjusted the lighting via Lightroom & Photoshop. I also changed the working title to "Boredom, Ms. Suburbia".

How does it look now?

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    She looks too young to be a housewife, and the clothes don't match either. I'm thinking Ms. Robinson though, so my cultural references may be older...

I'd call it "Lucky dog" ;)

12. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Right, that's why I changed it to "Boredom, Ms. Suburbia" :smile:

Or how about "Pooch & Princess" or "Princess and the Pooch"?