1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Opinions on this lens please and what is it worth.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Gyles, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Hi Guys,

I've been offered this lens over the net so I've not had it to look at. I have the seller assurance it is all good, no scratches, dust or fungus (although I'll take this with a pinch of salt.

Is it a lens worth having, can you tell me any more about it and what's its value. I'm in the UK but prices are fairly global, more or less.

[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="DSC05223"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="1116"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="DSC05167"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="SAM_0925"></a>[/IMG]

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Actually, it seems more likely to be this one (the 18 aperture blades...)
    Takumar 300mm f/4

That is a lot of aperture blades! At 1.5 kg it's also a lot of weight to haul around. I used to have a Hexanon 300mm that was just around 1kg and that was pretty awkward to balance and focus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

fin_azvandi is correct (I have one).

The mount is M42 screwmount. The chrome like mount should be an M42 -> Pentax K adapter and should screw off. Sometimes, they have a locking screw that needs to be loosened. If not, then someone modified the mount to a pentax K.

* Is there any oil on the aperture blades?
    * Get an LED Pen light... shine it through one end while looking through the other. You want to shine the narrow beam in circular motion starting from the outer edges of the inner elements and work you way inward. You are looking for haze or separation...

I haven't looked at value for this particular lens in a while... My gut tells me under $150USD in excellent condition. Check ebay's completed listings.

Its a simple single coated lens design. I actually prefer the 300mm f/6.3 Takumar simply because its easier to hold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Thanks guys that's really cleared things up. I thought it should have an M42 thread, I can see it has an adapter on it now. I'm waiting for some old Pentax kit (see below) to turn up that I had done a good deal on, then someone popped up and offered me this. Having after making them a ridiculously cheeky offer, they have come back and said they have been offered £50 from a dealer and that they would prefer not to sell it to them.

My recent bargains:-

Pentax Super A complete with manual
    Sigma F3.5 - 4.5 28mm - 70mm
    Centon 70-210mm f4-5.6
    SMC Pentax M 200m F4 lens
    Kalimar 2x tele converter
    Jessop 150m flash

And

Fuji Fujica STX-1 with F2.2 55mm lens. Complete with manual
    Vivitar Auto 215 flash

Not sure if I'll use this lot or how good it is, but was such a bargain, I couldn't pass it up. I did also manage to pick up a Hexanon 200mm f3.5 (yes I'm addicted to Hexanons) mint, for a good price.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I would check the trigger voltage on that Vivitar 215 before you use it on a new camera.

You may want to take off that bayonet adapter and use the screws as intended. The adapter came with a lock spring for the Pentax body and you can't access it with the lens attached. Some users remove the spring and leave the adapter on the lens, but now the lens can fall off unless you mod it. I rarely used M42 on my Pentax DSLR because the adapter took too long to attach.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tchr

tchr New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2012
    Mine works a treat - you get used to the weight

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Harry, broken link you've posted. I hadn't considered using the flashes..........what should I be aware of if I do.

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Many old strobes will charge up to around 200-280 volts on the hot shoe. Old cameras didn't care as they used mechanical switches. Modern cameras use solid state switches that assume modern flashes with 5 volts on the hot shoe. An old strobe might well blow them out. Then again, it might not. Why take the risk is my point.

Here's the link and it indicates to me that a Vivitar 215 is dubious.
    Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

• Like Like x 1
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    :redface: Got fooled by the K mount. Could be big fun if you can stabilize it.

11. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Cheers Harry, is there anyway to get it working off camera?

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can use a Wein safe sync but it will probably cost as much as the flash.

Off camera, you can trigger with a cable or wireless triggers such as the cactus Vs.

• Like Like x 1