1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Opinions on this 400mm lens off ebay?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by btaylor, Sep 15, 2016.

1. btaylor

btaylor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2016
    Ben
    400mm= lens 800mm on Panasonic G lumix HD Micro 4/3 PEN OMD GX8 GH4 GH3 GH2 G3

a 400mm lens for £55?! Must be a basket case right? Or no?

if you search for
    panasonic lens | eBay
    there's lots of similar ones from different sellers and slightly different but similar looks but with the exact same, fairly badly written, description.

Must be a catch.
    What's wrong with it?
    What make is it?
    Can I damage my camera by putting a dodgy lens on it? (assuming I don't force it on if it clearly doesn't fit)
    Any reason why I shouldn't buy it?

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The reason that you shouldn't buy it is that you will need to manually focus it, it will be very difficult to use, it will be very heavy, it will be awkward, the images that it gives you are unlikely to be sharp, will likely have a lot of chromatic aberration, and for all of that, it's unlikely to ignite a love of supertelephoto photography that will last, and more likely to just leave a sour taste in your mouth and then get put on a shelf. The results will likely be okay if you can nail the focus, but not better than you could get from a crop out of a native 300mm AF zoom lens that can be comfortably shot handheld. Obviously those native lenses like the 75-300 and 100-300 are more expensive, but infinitely more useful.

It doesn't even say the aperture of the lens, but given that it is a 400mm lens with a 72mm filter thread, it is likely f5.6.

£55 also doesn't sound like a particularly stellar price. There are lots of similar ones on sale at the same price range from Soligor, Sigma, Vivitar, etc...

If you want a manual focus 400mm/5.6, this Sigma APO looks like a dramatically better option with much more modern optics (despite a bit of fungus - maybe don't store it with your other lenses, or try and disassemble and clean it).

Sigma 400MM F5.6- Olympus OM APO- great to adapt to DSLR/ CSC- long tele lens

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It looks like one of the old Kalimar (or other-branded) f6.3 preset lenses. They don't cost much and are worth less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    too long to collect any light or use hand held. forget it.

5. btaylor

btaylor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2016
    Ben

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Sunlight will stop fungus from growing and spreading... A week or two on a windowsill should do it.

7. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    But the spores will stay and as soon as it becomes damp it starts to grow again. Disassemble and clean with vinegar.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    What a monster, I have an old manual Tokina RMC 400/5.6 and it is just a little bigger than PL 100-400. Manual lenses works quite ok if you have stabilised view with IBIS. But no fast action shots if you not prefocus :) mine is ok IQ also, bought it for about twice that price though. But they can be found quite cheap also. If you live close you could buy mine ;)