1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Opinions on the 9-18mm ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by prophet, Feb 16, 2015.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I joined Trey Ratcliff for a photowalk and was pretty thrilled by his wide-angle shots, and disappointed that my 14-42mm often did not get enough of the scene in the frame. So now I am thinking about getting the Oly 9-18mm, and am wondering if that is any good for city and landscape photography? Could some users shed some experiences with this lens? Thanks!

2. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=2537

50 pages of example pictures.. I'd buy it in a heart beat, if it would be a little more affordable. That's the big negative point, that I hear people talking about. I think it does a good job in terms of image quality

• Like Like x 2
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Nice little zoom. My only complaint is it cost too much for a little plastic fold up zoom. I bought a refurbed one.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I reckon very good indeed, the focal length range is a lot in such a wide lens.
    I use the 4/3rds version which cost me about £200 second hand.
    This new e-pL7 has great stabilisation and high ISO which makes my 9-18mm's working aperture (f5.6 to f8 for me) totally more useful than it was when it was made.
    (Some creative processing might be needed in the city if you want straight walls ... but this lens' distortion isn't bad for the breed of wide zooms.)

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    It's fun. For me it's a 9mm f/4 prime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I got mine from this site's buy/sell forum. Very pleased with it, not a bad walkaround lens in a city environment with the ultrawide to equiv 36mm perspective either.

Well worth it IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jasjb

jasjb Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    Overpriced but functional and small.

Hopefully with the new wave of "pro" wide lenses it will cheapen.

8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    My major complaint would be the goofy way you have to open the lens when you use it. Myself, I use my Rokinon fisheye much more than the 9-18.

9. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogot√°, Colombia
    Mauricio
    • Like Like x 1
  10. newphoto

newphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    Just sold my 9-18. Really no rectilinear alternative in Olympus to go this wide. It accepts filters, and does a decent job, but wide open the corners are just a little soft . Strange opening device, but nice and light weight. I am anticipating the release of the new Olympus Pro 7-14. Won't take filters, not really an issue for me on a lens this wide. It will weigh more and cost more, but I am betting the image quality will be superb.

11. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Another vote for a great and fun lens, that was a little too expensive to keep.

12. Jesse_S

Jesse_S Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Pretty much this. It's a good but not great lens that is severely overpriced. The construction feels cheap, especially when extended. When I moved to M43rds from Nikon it was my greatest disappointment as there are several excellent, relatively cheap ultra-wide angle lenses available for that system from third parties that outperform the 9-18.

Worth it if you can find it cheap. I tend to use the Rokinon Fisheye these days and just de-fish, but that doesn't work for all subjects.

13. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    If you're currently just using the kit, then anything is going to be an upgrade. The 9-18mm is a lovely lens with a great zoom range for landscape to street. The 4/3 version is more consistent across the frame and can be found for good prices very often. Nandor Szotak does some brilliant work with the 9-18 that's worth a look. It isn't fast, but landscapes don't usually require a fast lens.

14. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    I played with one for landscapes and used it to take photos of my in-laws house when they listed it for sale. I sold it because it was too much money considering the little use it got. Also, it's a little too plasticky at that price point; not sure how durable it is.

15. jasjb

jasjb Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    I guess that's the crux of the issue..... it's a good useful lens...... but you either:

1) care about wide angle... in which care it may not be wide or sharp enough compared to competition

2) care about something small and fun.... in which case it is too expensive.

• Like Like x 2
  16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had one, but now use the Pany 7-14. It's a nice enough lens, but if you care about edge sharpness (landscapes, architecture), it's less than ideal. Even stopped down, the corners are never sharp. Great in the centre though!

17. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    How about distortion? Does it distort more at 14mm than the kit lens would at 14mm?

18. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The kit is the low anchor of the system. You can safely assume that every other lens in the system does better at everything.

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    edmsnap that is a completely wrong statement.

20. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Which lens is worse than a 14-42 kit lens at the same FL and aperture then? I'm just curious because the only kit 14-42 zoom that I've had is the original mk1 zoom that came with my E-P1 but I sold it long time ago. So I have no personal experience nor opinion, but I'd like to know. I've heard the mk1 Panasonic 14-42 zoom is excellent.