Opinions on my new logo :-)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jbuch84, Apr 17, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Been reworking my portfolio online and needed a new logo, just thought i would get some opinions on this one.. all thoughts and ideas are welcome. It was made in photoshop using nothing but a blank canvas, line tools and brushes!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I like it - the painted stencil look works well with the retro theme.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Looks nice, maybe the bottom part is a bit overdone - too much leaked paint

• Like Like x 1
  4. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I like it as well. I was not sure about the font, but I liked that it took me at least 6 second to realize that it's a camera :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    if i may ask, what is the object in the upper right corner of the image?

i ask because i thought it would be cool - as in iconic cool - if you had a shutter button and a control dial (like most classic cameras) on the left side. these would just be little rectangular blips because you're looking at it full frontal.

right now the only thing that reads camera is the cut out for the name, which is obviously where the lens goes, but i think you could take it a step or two further.

unless that's not your intent, to reference a camera with your background.
    in that case, it's perfect! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Looks good
    Perhaps a tighter crop and larger Font
    Otherwise its very Retro :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Thanks everyone, it's hard to tell what needs adjusting sometimes and others opinions really help!

I too am not sold on the font. I did know that I wanted to easy to read, maybe I will add some small runs to it.

Also, paint runs on the bottom are a bit much. I was going back and forth with then too.

That object in the upper right corner is the shutter button, it should be on the other side. Good call, may add more dials too.

Hopefully all that makes it easier to notice as a camera :) Also that actually logo is transparent, I left all that white around it trying to see how it looked "sprayed on a wall".

Thanks again, keep 'em coming!

8. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    The overall effect looks good, but maybe a stencil font would be more appropriate.

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    It's a nice looking logo, I really like the way that you've evoked a camera with such simple shapes. The two horizontal bands really add to the composition, as does the simple rectangular shutter.

But...

...I'm not quite sure how the mask and spray paint relate to the name. If this was a logo for "street foto" or "urban photo" it would make more sense to me. Is there another treatment of the same graphic that says "retro" more than "street"? The challenge is not to be too cliche though.

...And the dripping paint may look "real" or "edgy" to some or "sloppy" or "unprofessional" to others. Then again maybe you only want to attract clients that "get it".

Designing logos is hard work, an art form unto itself. You've got a very promising design!

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    just a couple of things

1) Are you thinking through how you are going to use this logo - printed on a business card? , on a letterhead? - will it be used on a web page or on a t-shirt? >why I ask is that you need to make sure it reproduces well at smaller sizes.

2) Also does it truly project the image you want to - I mean if your work is gritty urban arty, edgy photography then its in the right ballpark - if you are trying to get gigs as a wedding photographer it might not be so appropriate

3) Font - need to do some more work on this - apart from the letterspacing or kerning between the f and the o, the font needs to be bolder - you are probably looking for a more Leica like font

4) I kind of like the wall texture thing - but just make sure it works at all sizes

K

11. HappyEisentrout

HappyEisentrout Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Sandusky, OH
    I like where it is at currently, it grabs the eyes. But I do have some changes that I would do.

It's a retro camera, the name gives it away, but I'd almost like to see it a bit more retro looking. I'm not sure if you were going for a retro rangefinder or not but I think that it would have more punch if it was designed to an old SLR. Give it that viewfinder hump up top and a knob or two.

The font is fine with me but I agree with Sparkin, a stenciled font would be more fitting.

Lastly, the paint drips are fine and all but maybe if they were more consistent. Why is only the bottom dripping? You'd think there would be a drip going through the center "lens" and maybe over one of the white lines. Also why is the "lens" dripping? Isn't the black being stenciled onto a white wall? White shouldn't be dripping.

Very nice logo, wish I had the talent/patience to do something like this. Logo v1 is nice, but can't wait for Logo v1.1

12. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Uhhh.... You spelled 'photo' wrong.

kidding! LOL

13. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    [​IMG]

In this one I have changed the font and added some runs to the white lines. The runs in the white are there as if it was painted as just a black square first, then the lines, then the circle. That way if i put a different color background behind it, it will all work out.

As for my audience, I mostly sell my prints and am looking to get into extreme sports photos. When I do portraits they are edgy. Although many make a good living doing weddings, it's not for me.

It's uses will be on the web mostly, I think I may use it on business cards without the extensive paint runs on the bottom, my contact info on the back.

I'm trying to keep from crossing the line from sharp and edgy to sloppy, it's tough with this design!

haha, qball. i get that alot :)

14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I would try other fonts as well - the stencil font is expected - maybe another font might work and provide a stronger visual "snap".

Look around for "graffiti fonts".

15. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Luiz
    Why don't you...

... make a real stencil and photograph it, to redesign later digitally (or "vectorize")? Could make it really look real ;)

16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    So where does "Retro" fit into all of this?

17. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    When I started I was taking pictures of older building and selling black and whites. I've since moved on to more than that but didn't feel like changing everything.