1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Opinions on G2 body

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by moccaman, Feb 27, 2012.

1. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Hi guys, am interested to hear opinions on the G2 body, and comparisons to the GF1 etc.

The G2 seems to be well appointed with fold out screen and built in VF, size seems decent, and its reasonably priced, is it worth having alongside a GF1 as a VF body, taking into account its much lower pricing over a new G3/GX1.

I was going to buy an LVF1 for the GF1 but even at the cheapest new price delivered of $180 bucks odd, its not far off what I can get a G2 body for.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It's a really nice body overall, though it's starting to get awfully close to a basic DSLR in size. Personally I'm really feeling the age of the sensor in mine, though. (I don't think it's substantially different from the GF1.)

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Built in EVF, eye sensor, lots of direct control points on body, flip out touch screen. I guess you can call it the poor man's GH2/EM-5. :wink:

I love mine, but G2 prices seem to be holding around $500-$600?! Might as well buy the 16mp G3.

4. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    I have both the GF1 and G2.

When they were my two primary bodies, I reached for the G2 a lot more than the GF1. The larger grip, articulating screen, and extra switches and knobs make it a lot easier to handle for day to day shooting. I mostly used the GF1 when I wanted to travel light.

If I were forced to trade in the G2 for a G3, I'd really miss the automatically switching LVF, and the physical focus and drive mode dials and switches. I use these every day, and personally I think their exclusion is not worth the size diference between the two bodies.

Regarding whether it's worth having another body, to me having two bodies means time spent switching lenses, and more opportunities to take photos, though YMMV :)

5. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I have both a GF1 and a G2. The EVF has seamless pixels due to the field sequential display, so I've come to think of it as indispensible. The larger grip is also more comfortable to hold with larger lenses like the Panasonic 45-200mm. I've not used my GF1 much since buying it, although I keep hatching up schemes to use it with my wide angle lenses.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    the G2 is a GREAT body. It's true the sensor is showing its age a bit but the body ergonomics and feel are terrific. I still miss mine and every time I see a low mileage one come up I really feel the urge to pick one up again. I'll even go as far to say that the EVF+ articulating LCD combo are a more useful than the much loved VF2 for Olympus PEN cameras (which I use now).

7. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    i have both the G2 and GX1.

i find G2 is better "balanced" with either the 4/3 14-54II or 14-42ED.
    the GX1 is used with prime lens and is better in terms IQ and AF speed.

control and knobs, i prefer the G2.

8. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks guys, when you say the sensor is getting on in age, is it not the same sensor as in the GF2, GF3, GF1, G1, etc? I have read alot but it just gets confusing! LOL.

The EVF is a big drawcard, as are the manual controls all over it, and the screen design. Size is not such an issue, I like the GF1 but I often feel the need to hold it by the lens or hang onto it and wrap the strap all over my arm for fear of dropping it!

One thing that confuses me is the dimensions, it says 74mm thick, but is this the thickness of the hand hold section, IE back of body to front of hand hold (not including the EVF protrusion) ??

9. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    Correct, the G2 sensor is the same generation sensor as the G1, GF1, GF2, and GF3, as well as all PENs to date. It's really not that old, but the G3 sensor puts it to shame at ISO 800+.

By my rough measurements, the G2 hand grip measures approximately 5.5cm from front to back. It tapers a bit from top to bottom, with a middle-finger indent, but the rear click wheel adds thickness at the top.

I believe 74mm is the thickness from the back of the protruding EVF to the frontmost point of the hand grip.

10. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks Bryan, if I was going to spend $600+ I would look at the GX1 twin lens kit which I can get down under from DWI for AUD$733.00 delivered, sell the 14-42 and keep the 14mm to add to my collection :rolleyes:

But for 300 bucks or so the G2 with the great EVF, more solid grip, versatile screen, and performance on par with everything but the very new models seems to make more sense than buying an LVF1 from Adorama for 145 bucks plus 38 shipping to use on the GF1.
    (LVF1 in OZ is silly pricing and the asian sellers have not yet realised the US prices have dropped to this level)

I am also wanting the 45-200 lens and the G2 sounds like it might offer better support for this larger lens, and the EVF will enhance the use of the lens too if I think back to my film days with my huge sigma zooms! :smile:

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The G2 is my second favorite Panasonic body, behind only the GH2. Why? Ergonomics. For me, an EVF is mandatory, and I much prefer the large grip and physical controls to the more menu driven G3.

That said, my wife wants to try a G3. She thinks she'll prefer the smaller body, and she won't make much use of the controls anyway. The G3 arrives today. If she likes it, the G2 will be for sale next week.

12. Vripper

Vripper Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    After using the G2 for the past 7 months, my favorite feature is the fold out screen. The touchscreen is just a bonus. Most of the time, I don't take pictures with the camera at eye level in a standing position. It's usually at chest level or waist level. With the fold out screen, I don't have to stoop down low to take a shot.

13. Like both!

Primary body is the G2. Preference for built in evf. The additional manual controls & articulating LCD on the G2 are a plus. The G2 evf is a step better than the LVF-1. Usually leave the 20mm on the GF-1. The "pocket" camera. Attaching the LVF-1 to the GF-1 results in camera bulk similar to the G2. Don't have any issues with using the 45-200mm on the GF-1+LVF-1. Find supporting the combo with the lens & base resting on the left hand is a relatively balanced position. Maybe it's my small hand size?

If having to choose between the two today I would probable go with the least expensive.

14. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks guys, I like both too! :) The measurements on all the spec sheets are so confusing, they say 74mm wide less protrusions, which is clearly wrong, how the body could be 74mm without the EVF or hand grip is beyond me :biggrin:

I have a mint GF1 and will never sell it, am a sucker for classic design. The G2 will fill a gap for VF and a more SLR size hold, and I doubt I will lose much on it in a year or two's time when things have settled and whatever top model is out is out :rolleyes:

15. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Oh forgot to ask, GF1 and G2 battery the same? They list the G2 as BLB13, and the GF1 is BLB13E.

16. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Good thing you mentioned the battery. G2 has a larger battery I believe. I have done 400+ shots of RAW/Jpeg or 500+ shots JPEG on a single battery. That is pretty impressive to me.

17. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    The GF1 and G2 use the same battery.

18. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    My bad! :redface:

19. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    I think you can get a g2 body at B&H for $299, if they still stock them.
    I have been very pleased with mine

20. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah same battery as I just discovered, which is a bonus, means one spare battery can be used for either camera, no need to be carrying multiple chargers either, I like it :)
    In fact I like it so much I bought it, 269 seemed too good to pass up when the LVF1 ws gonna be 190 bucks delivered.