Opinions on Aftershot Pro (ASP)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by MSnap, Apr 29, 2013.

1. MSnap

MSnap Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2013
    I'm doing my usual "read everything I can find" at the moment, and I'm downloading the trial. While that's in progress, I thought I'd ask other users if they had tried the software and what they thought of it?

One thing I picked up from RobKnight's video on OV3 vs LR4 is that OV3 makes better pictures by default. I've little doubt that my full Photoshop CS2 could do everything these editors can do manually, but the whole point of these is to be easy and semi-automatic isn't it? To make things quick and easy and to streamline the workflow?

Right now, based on what I've seen and read, I'm leaning towards OV3 > TIFF > ASP for my first streamlined workflow. I'd like to stick with just OV, but there's lots of features that I can't find in there, such as highlight and shadow tools, and "enhance the blues" kind of features.

Does anyone know when the 2013 version of ASP is due to be released? I bet it's soon.

2. thazooo

thazooo Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Dana F.
    I use it and used Bibble, the company Corel bought and then renamed.
    I like it because it gives a very good rendition of my RAW files, very close to the manufacturer program. Since I use it mostly with Pentax RAW UMMV.
    The control set is good. It has 'Layers' but should be called a 'Mask' since it works more like a Mask then a Layer. Highlight Recovery is a bit weak, you'll get some strange colors if you push it too far.
    You can download a trial that's fully functional.
    If you go to the ASP forum you may get discouraged. Bunch of folks talking about moving to another program cause of Blah, Blah, Blah. Mostly updates of Camera Raw profiles.
    Give it a try, pretty good program. I'd use it with my Oly but I'm still impressed with how good the JPG's are :))

3. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
    I thought it was very average after testing it along with a dozen other RAW converters. I did quite like the interface though.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    One thing Bibble (and now ASP) has historically had is very good multicore support. So for mass exports, it should be pretty fast.
  5. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    You should know that the future of ASP is in question. Corel laid off a bunch of the developers and the project seems to have come to a halt, even though Corel is promising "it's coming".

Check out the ASP message board on corels site, lots of unhappy old Bibble users there. The current most popular thread is titled "What are you switching to?"

It was great while it lasted but I don't think it has a future. If you're fine with the version that's out now and not getting any upgrades or support in the future, go right ahead.
  6. dragons4Mama

dragons4Mama Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 31, 2012
    MetroWest MA
    My brain does not do PhotoShop... PS just bounces.

I had been using Bibble, and liking it, for many years. I have not tried ASP -- Downloaded a trial version & life happened & trial expired before I could check it out. Tried emailing the not-so-nice folks at Corel - they would not extend the trial even for a day.

Would not pay the upgrade without checking it out. Needed the upgrade as the version of Bibble I have no longer works after upgrading my OS from 10.4.11 to 10.6.8

SO... tried Capture One Pro, liked it, and bought it during one of PhaseOne's 1/2 price sales.
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I like ASP (and Bibble before it). However, the lack of ongoing support and updates from Corel (e.g. still no support for the OM-D E-M5) and very real concerns over its future has pushed me to convert to LR. The only new version released in the last 6-9 months actually removed a feature (Noise Ninja NR)!

Personally, I'm with many of the posters on the Corel ASP forum - I think it's a dead product. I'd love to be proved wrong since it's faster, easier to use and has great plug-in support compared to LR. But Corel have just screwed it up soooo badly. Words fail me!