1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Opinions Oly 75-300 mm II versus P-L 100-300mm ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jfrader, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I have been quite satisfied with my current crop if lenses until recently. The 40-150 mm has given me enough reach for my typical shooting style (primarily travel and landscape) and I have been considering making the investment in the newer f/2.8 PRO tele zoom. However, a job last weekend shooting a stage production in which I just couldn't get as close to the performers as I wanted has caused a rethink. The effective 300 mm (FF) throw of the 40-150 just wasn't enough. I made do by cropping but prefer not to have to do that.

With the above in mind, I have been considering a longer zoom. Olympus has the 75-300mm and Panasonic the 100-300mm. The panny is significantly heavier than the Oly due to the in-lens OS system. That is a definite factor since I have been actively trying to CUT weight and bulk in my bag as I get older and more arthritic. On the other hand, the Panny is faster at both ends of the zoom. I see the "II" version of the Oly M.Zuiko at B&H for $549.00, which is only about $50.00 more than the Panny so price is pretty much a wash.

What are the opinions of members who have shot them of these two lenses? Are there any significant differences in IQ or other factors I should consider?

2. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I've only used the Panasonic -
    it's not that heavy, it's very nice to handle
    and I love the images I get from it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    I had the Oly mk I. A nice, lightweight lens, decent image quality.
    Have just sold it to fund the 40-150 pro as I very very rarely needed 300mm.
    If you are considering the 40-150 pro, have you considered using that with the 1.4 TC a instead? Will take it up to 210mm at the long end.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Thanks. I have about decided that the combination would just be too far out of the budget for now.

5. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    AlSo switched from oly vs 1 to pana. Found the pana softer than the olympus. Not nessecarily less good, just different. I like the tripod moint which you can buy from germany, at the same time, if i had to make the decision again, i propably would go for the oly.

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have the Oly 75-300 MkII. With a maximum aperture of f6.3 at the long end it's a slow lens. For a stage production a very high ISO and low shutter speed will be needed to get shots with minimal camera shake. Even with IBIS, the 600mm FOV makes for challenging hand holding. (used with an E-M1). I find it to be a bright, sunny day lens.

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Keep an eye on this thread

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=71732

A member tried a generic tripod collar intended for the Canon macro but it seems to fit. A few of us (including me) have ordered one to see the fit for ourselves.

8. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

That is my read on it as well. It just seems slow at all zoom points. A pretty big trade-off for 1/4 pound less weight. Thanks.

9. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Looking at photos in the sample image thread, to my eye I like the rendering of the Panasonic better.

But I'm concerned about focus speed on my Olympus bodies. I'm curious if, on Olympus cameras, there much focus speed difference between the two lenses.

10. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
  11. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have the Olympus 75-300 II. I find the focus speed very fast, the light weight is good. I have taken many good handheld shots at 300mm. Use a fast shutter speed (1/1000), IBIS on (to help you see through the viewfinder), and use Continuous High so you get several shots each time you touch the shutter release. Obviously it isn't so good in poor light. The results are sharp.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

I only have the 100-300 and have never tried the Olympus, I also only have Lumix cameras so don't know how it would perform on one of their bodies, but I have found the following using mine.

Focus at the 100mm end is always fast and accurate but often found it would struggle at the 300mm end. I often find myself focusing with the lens at 100 and then zooming to 300, it's needs a lot of light and contrast to focus without issue at 300. Although that's not nessesaraly a bad thing as at 300mm which is effectively 600mm it's often difficult to find the subject so zooming out to 100 makes it easier to use.

If you read reviews of this lens sharpness is often questioned and I will admit at first I was disappointed, if I can use a tripod I will and using one of the tripod brackets listed above is a must, either the cheap plastic one or the expensive metal one is better than nothing. I also found that I got a big jump in sharpness with hand held shots if I switched over to the electronic shutter, so shutter shock is a big issue with this lens.

Also don't forget the OIS system will only work on a Lumix body (I think).

Paul

13. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    It also works on Olympus bodies, the moment thay you enabe OIS, the camera will switch of IBIS. Careful, if you do not want image stabilization, don't forget to also disable the OIS!

14. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I had the 75-300 II but got rid of it pretty quickly as I just found it "blugh" - it was okay but not at all what I was hoping, sort of soft, soft of washed out - I couldn't place what I didn't like but it just didn't do it for me, anyway I have the 100-300 coming on Tuesday so hopefully it will be more what I wanted, certainly the images on flickr groups between the two lenses put the 100-300 in front for me.

Time will tell though.

15. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Nothing washed out here with the 75-300 II. This is handheld at 300mm.
    438%20BRIXHAM%20Turnstone.JPG

• Like Like x 4