1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Opinions needed - RE: GH-3 and 14-140

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by benherrmann, Jan 10, 2013.

1. benherrmann

benherrmann New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2013
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Bernd W. (Ben) Herrmann
    Hello all:

Hope things are going great in your parts of the world!

I've been holding on to my GH-1 and 14-140 because this combo has just been fantastic for me (just as I'm holding on to my GF-1 and Panny 14-45 OIS).

But I'm one step closer to perhaps jumping in and getting a GH-3 (once it actually becomes available in enough supply) and battery grip. My question (curiosity) stems around what type of combo the GH-3 and Panny 14-140 OIS would make.

You read countless threads (and reviews) where high definition cameras can make a mockery out of older lenses - and in the case of the 14-140, do you think this lens would be capable (or incapable) of properly resolving 16 MP images?

If I purchased the GH-3, I would subsequently sell the GH-1 body (whatever that would bring in - not much, I imagine). But I'm more concerned at this stage (because I love the flexible reach of the 14-140) that this lens would not be a good match for the GH-3 in regards to resolving power (definition).

Whad'ya all think here? :confused:

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I sold my 14-140mm when I got the GH3 so I've never used the two in concert. I have however used the 14-140 on the G3 and GX1 which are both 16MP sensor cameras.

The 14-140 is optically a pretty darn good lens, but it's (unsurprisingly) not quite in the same league as the 12-35mm, 35-100mm f/2.8 zooms, or the various high end primes (particularly Olympus' new 60mm f/2.8 and 75mm f/1.8). Note that I wasn't unhappy with the 14-140 on the 16MP cameras, and for a superzoom it's actually quite good. I've got loads of favorite photos taken with that combo and it was the most used lens on our trip to Alaska this past summer. However, there is a noticeable IQ gap with the newer zooms and I couldn't see myself continuing to use the 14-140 when I had the pair of fast zooms at my disposal, which is why I sold mine off.

All that to say, if you're happy with the 14-140 now, then I wouldn't anticipate it suddenly looking terrible on the GH3 by any means. If anything, the images will likely improve due to the increased resolution. However, to get the *most* out of the GH3's new sensor will require better glass eventually.

3. benherrmann

benherrmann New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2013
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Bernd W. (Ben) Herrmann
    I know what you mean

Glass makes all the difference in the world. You're reply was quite realistic as far as expectations are concerned. I guess I was "hoping" that in order to get the best, I wouldn't have to dish out another 1K for the gorgeous 12-35 lens - but it may look like that's going to be a reality in the near future. And yes, I plan on keeping the 14-140 as I love it's reach and flexibility.

4. The question is: are you going to use the extra megpixels from the GH3 to view images at a larger scale than you currently do from the GH1? If the answer is no, there is not an issue.

As you'd probably know, because of the range of the 14-140mm it's sharpness varies for different focal lengths. At middling focal lengths (say from 18-70mm) on the my GH1 the 14-140mm has amazed me many times for how sharp it can be for a 10x zoom. There have been a couple of times where I have seen an image with a focal length of 20mm or 25mm and had to check the full exif to see if it hadn't been taken by either of those prime lenses. Around the edges of the frame at 14mm and and as you approach 140mm; it isn't as impressive. In a 100% crop I'll be more likely to notice the softness at those extremes on my E-M5 (16MP) than my GH1 (12MP) and the sweet spot doen't seem quite so large, but my end use is the same so it hasn't really changed anything.

P.S. I think that where the 14-140mm can fall down relative to some more expensive lenses is by sometimes displaying lower levels of contrast.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Agreed. I haven't looked at the test numbers for the 14-140 to compare but I suspect based on my experience that contrast is more of an issue than absolute sharpness.