1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

opinions: gx1 or g3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by shepx13, Aug 7, 2012.

1. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Hello all, first post here!

I am currently a Nikon d700 shooter. I'm primarily a hobbiest now since I no longer have time for such else due to my wife's business and my day job. As such, I find myself not using my d700 as much as I used to.

I would use this as a walk around camera, and taking pics of my kids when I don't want to lug the big dog.

Anyways, the other day I ran into someone with a gf3 and was amazed at its size. I really hadn't ever looked at any mirrorless cameras before and never realized how small they were. I had a Canon s95 for a bit but never used it much due to its slow focus and difficult mechanics so i sold it. But after checking out this gf3 it got me to thinking that maybe this is the way I need to go to be happy with a sidekick for my d700.

I think I've narrowed down to the gx1 or g3. I don't live anywhere really close to check these out myself though. I've read a few comparisons but wanted to get some personal user feedback between these two. (Or anything else I should look at) I'll probably just start out with the kit zoom and a prime.

Thoughts?

2. riverbum

riverbum Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Mt Olive, NJ
    I have a G3 and I LOVE it. I came from a Nikon D50 which I really loved and still have but was looking to upgrade but wasn't really impressed by nikons offerings in this price range. Finally decided to pull the trigger on the G3 and I'm glad I did. It's so much easier to bring around with me and was quite a step up in IQ compared to my D50( understandable since its older technology).

I too was trying to decide between the G3 and GX1. In the end the efv and articulating screen made me go for the G3.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do you mean G1X (Canon) or GX1 (Panasonic)?

IMHO, the G1X is already dead wih the announcement of the EOS-M.

The G3 and GX1 are fantastic, and the m43 lenses definitely set the standard for mirrorless.

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Either one would be a great choice. If you don't need an EVF than the GX1 is a fantastic deal right now (check out the deals section) @ $399. It has tons of features and a current sensor with a nice small, but sturdy feel. It is a real pleasure to use and produces great results. With a 20mm Panasonic lens it is somewhat pocketable (jacket) and can shoot in low light with great results. I have the 25mm, which is larger, and I find it is still very easy to carry along with me on a night on the town. Nothing against any other m4/3 camera but I feel like the GX1 is the best overall body for the money right now. Easy user interface and it performs very well. This coming from someone who only had a film camera previously and didn't shoot too much.

5. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Meant the Penny Gx1. Fixed my initial post.

I read some issues about the 12-42 lens. Should I stay away from that?

6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I've owned both. To me, the G3 was close to what I wanted, feature-wise, but was not right (for me, anyway) ergonomically. Had they put the GX1's grip on the G3, I would likely still have it now. However, that said, there are other things about the G1 that I prefer: (1) better build quality gives it a very solid feel, (2) more direct control buttons, which the G3 always seemed short of by one or two, (3) touch tab, which adds two more "buttons" for direct control, and (4) the LVF-2 is removable. The last one wouldn't be a big deal if the G3's viewfinder didn't stick out the back as much as it does. All built-in Panny viewfinders are this way. You may scrunch your nose a little less (never really had a problem), but compared to the E-M5 or most DSLRs, it is a less streamline design.

If the grip on the G3 agrees with you, then you can't go wrong with either choice.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    IQ is effectively the same, so it boils down to your preferences in features. Personally, I find I need to have an eye level VF. So the G3 was an easy pick for me at the time (didn't bother waiting for the GX1). The fully articulating screen was a nice bonus as well. Cost was considerably better for my wallet, too.

If I didn't have a care for the EVF, I'd get the GX1 in a heartbeat.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The G3 is a great camera at an awesome price. But I hope you don't think it's GF3 sized?

9. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
  10. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Yes, I'm aware the g3 and gx1 are bigger. But they are still tiny compared to normal slrs.

Nickleon that compare chart is awesome, thanks!

11. sagott

sagott New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2012
    Goole England
    Simon Gott
    I bought a G3 and used it for about a month, then sold it and bought a GX1 with the 14-42 power zoom. As a carry around camera it's excellent, and the metal case and classic looks give it a high quality classic feel. Definitely GX1 for me. If you're used to a DSLR as well then the GX1 has more features and controls. I have a 7D which sits in a cupboard most of the time now !

12. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Thanks for the input. Were there any other things you liked better about the GX1 compared to the G3? Seems like people are on one side or the other when it comes to which one of these they liked more.

13. sagott

sagott New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2012
    Goole England
    Simon Gott
    I like the "heavy" and solid feel of the camera, as opposed to the somewhat "plastic" feel of the G3. Also being a DSLR user as well, the GX1 has more buttons and functions readily available on its rear side, for changing settings and selecting different functions. The G3 felt awkward to hold in my hands and the thumb and finger support is much better on the GX1. Personal preference obviously, but to me the GX1 is more like a mini DSLR, whereas the G3 felt more like a compact camera. Hope this helps !!

14. bigrig

bigrig Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2012
    I have a GF3 with 14mm as a companion to my Canon DSLR - love the small size, I can fit it in the pocket of some of my clothing. You already have a "big dog", get the GX1.

15. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I feel like a bit of a contrarian for liking G3 grip more than GX1. It really is easier to grip , for me anyway. I think it's because it's larger and is more comfortable to wrap your had around. Looking at the pictures of the new G5, the grip has gotten even better with that rubbery material and shutter button in the front.
    Really , the only reason to get GX1 is if you want a smaller , stealthier camera. Which is exactly what I wanted :biggrin:

16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I don't like the G3 grip, but I made peace with it during my current vacation. Goes so well with the PanLeica 25/1.4, especially in bright conditions where the EVF is mission critical.

17. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Thanks all for your input. I bought a gx1 that I'll get in a few days. Now I just need to find a good deal on a used 14mm 2.5 to get here by Wednesday for my upcoming trip!

Great forum here! Not sure what to think to see a forum not filled with Trolling everywhere!