Opinion on mirrorless Marketing/Advertising

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jo45800, Feb 17, 2015.

1. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Hi everyone, I advance sorry if this subject has been already talked but I would like to have you opinion on why mirrorless cameras maker are not investing more in advertising/Marketing?

For example me, I went full M43 a year and half ago, and it was the time I wanted to return to my passion and I needed to buy new gear. For a long time I thought I would buy a full frame Camera then I did my own research and I found the M43 system that suits my needs. Before my research I never heard about M43 system, the only system I heard was the one from sony NEX.

Even today when I visit a "mass consumer" store, there are only few mirrorless system, M43 almost nonexistent, some fuji and sony.

Why don't they just make a big campaign saying you don't need to have big Camera to have quality, plus others great features we have in these systems?
  2. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Simple- cost.
    It's very expensive to advertise anything in the USA.......I do wonder why they don't make more elaborate displays in the mega-stores but if they do spend tons of marketing the costs of the products will rise- so maybe it's best left as is.
  3. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Yes I know that Advertising is expensive but how do they expect to sell their products if people don't know them...
  4. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

I imagine that they know more about their sales and prospects than you or I do. They are making tough choices on what products to develop and how to use limited marketing budgets. Since the USA hasn't been a very receptive market, they may be concentrating their efforts on more promising markets.

Olympus and Panasonic have stated that they are trying to become profitable. Doing when they have small shares of a declining market isn't easy. The shrinking of retail outlets for cameras doesn't help either.