Opinion on gear for a new photograper...

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wow.. this thread is way off kilter!

When I have a customer approach me at a the retail counter explaining that they are expect a new baby and wanting a camera to document their new family....

I ask two questions immediately.

Is this your first child?
Are you new to photography?

If they yes to both those questions, you have to TRY TRY TRY VERY HARD to REMOVE THE PHOTOGRAPHER's HAT. The photographer in all of us 9/10 will make the worst possible recommendation.

The intent is different.

They are not purchasing an equipment for the same reasons we would use. They are not interested in the photography, they interested in documenting their child. If they had an interest in photography they wouldn't have waited until the birth of their child to explore that interest

As a father of 3 (two of which are very active 2 year olds) with years of experience behind the camera, I will tell you that the camera and the photography comes in a WAY WAY WAY DISTANT last in priorities. The kids demand 100% of your attention ALL THE TIME. You can't even carry a bag because you have strollers, bottles, diapers, baby bag, etc.. Even a person like me who lives through the lens of a camera ends up simply shooting snapshots here and there. You shrug complexity, bulk, features, etc... Heck I at times will put the camera in dummy mode and simply shoot.

You know what? Its perfectly fine. Those candid shots are often my most cherished.

On the other hand, there are times, when things are settled and the baby is nestled or feeding in mommy's lap. It is those times, you cherish as a photographer to shoot. Many new parents will also... cherish. Even these photos don't necessarily have to demand the most out of a camera.

To the OP (which I assume is knowledgable in photography) and the friend with good intentions. Please keep this in mind when you are making decisions (or recommendations) on behalf of your friend. Try not to ask "what would I buy?". Try to ask "What would fit in their now cramped lifestyle?". You should take them to a photostore and let them feel/try all sorts of cameras. Remember, features and complexity come last. It must be easy to use... feel comfortable in their hand. Avoid extras (like extra lenses and such).... more than likely they won't take it.

From my experience (not as a retail person but as a 3x father), I tend to prefer a point and shoot on the high end. In agreement with OZRay, I HATED PRIMES. This is coming from someone who shoots almost exclusively with primes. Kids move too much. Too erratic. They don't follow directions. Only very quick moments of opportunity... candid. Because of safety reasons, often you have to stay within arms reach of the baby at all times. Which means... quickly jumping back... zoom to compose... shoot... jump back to the baby before they get into trouble. Shallow DOF for daily shoots is NOT your friend. Baby/toddlers move in and out of focus so quickly and erratically. Flash is your friend. In auto with a single compact flash, the concepts are fairly easy even the most novices. Direct with diffuser. Bounce. Even with a basic modifier like a Stofen. Keep it in auto TTL. Keep it simple. If they become proficient, you can even each them to use an offshoe cable.

The vast majority of my keepers with my elder son was a Canon G6 with Canon 420EX flash. All of it set to Auto. When I was just snapping away, you will appreciate the extra powerful flash. Those tiny on board flashes cannot recycle fast enough... a novice photographer AND parent will tend to fire away in bursts rather than wait for the opportunity. You need a flash that can keep up (Buy a couple packs of Eneloops). I had loads of fun with my child with the G6 and flash. It was both fluid AND dynamic.

Today, with my twins... I'm not as diligent about photos as I used to. A single baby demands 100% attention. Twins... well... you easily get overwhelmed and I simply snap away with my cell phone. When I do carry a camera, its usually my old EPL1 + 14-42EZ pancake + FL600R flash. Its basically feels and operates the same as my previous G6 + 420EX flash.

If I were to do it all over again.... knowing what I know... I would seriously consider the latest Sony RX100 with a Sony dedicated flash or default to the latest Canon G-series camera with dedicated flash. (Until micro 4/3rds, I was a big fan of the Canon G-series... in part because of my G6 and photos of my first son) Maybe consider the LX100 (expensive though)

Once the kids mature in age and become less demanding, then its time to revisit the topic as the needs of the parent changes. This is the time, when serious conversation around the topic of equipment for the photographer FOR PHOTOGRAPHY can be mulled over. They'll probably be ready for a new camera anyways.

The worst thing you can do.... is have your friend invest in a DSLR and a set of lenses that simply won't fit the new parent lifestyle. The camera will sit on the shelf, they won't get the pictures (as opposed to photos) they like, and they would have sunk lots of money into the equipment. It may even turn them off to the idea of photography as a hobby.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
PS> As a photographer I wouldn't shy away from hiring a photographer for family photos. You shouldn't feel like its your responsibility because you have the equipment and you may have the capabilities. This is the time to be part of the family and step away from the camera. Having another pair of eyes behind the camera dedicated to shooting while you dedicate your time to your family is absolutely the best way to get the best "posed" photos to hang on the wall and share. Even better... a photographer that also has a studio... kids will want to play when outside. Splitting your attention between photographer and parent/photo subject can be difficult (trust me I know!). This is especially true when young children are involved.

rparmar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A prime lens is easier to use than a zoom. There is less to think about.

A prime lens is less frustrating to use than a zoom. The extra wide apertures allow sharp photos that are unachievable with kit zooms.

A prime lens is more likely to have the image quality a beginner expects from browsing shots on the internet.

A prime lens is more rewarding to use than a zoom. It encourages focus (the mental kind).

Oh, and flash is evil in non-studio situations. I never use it, even I am well acquainted with proper use.

I always give a beginner a prime lens*. Later, I can show them how to swap it for a second prime. All successes so far!

* This assumes the beginner is interested in an interchangeable lens camera in the first place. Otherwise, this entire discussion is moot, since they will be using their mobile.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
As much as I want to say:

Buy my E-P5 with the kit lens and accessories, add 14mm prime and you're set for $625-$650

I can't. :frown: (I mean you could, but .... :redface: )

Have him look at the E-M10 or Nikon D5200 kits over on B&H right now. Both are easy to use, complete systems. For either it's simple and cheap enough to add a prime to play. And I would HIGHLY recommend the D5200 over the D3300 and the reason is simple. It's the articulated LCD. People tend to shoot down on kids, it's better to be closer down to their level and the LCD helps.

The E-M10 kit:
E-M10
Kit lens
40-150 (automatically added to card for $0.00 when kit is selected)
little case
$700

The Nikon kit is:
D5200
18-55
55-200
case
wire adapter
memory card
Nikon School DVD (if he's really a novice it's not that bad)
$700

Yes both are over his $650, but both are new and good starting points. In the end this is probably going to be about the baby. I mean do you really have time for a new hobby with your first newborn in the house?

Latest threads

Top Bottom