Opinion? Does the intro of the EM1 suggest...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Sep 10, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    that the EM5 will not have an upgrade (such as the EM6) any time soon? I like some of the changes that have been introduced with the EM1, but I am greedy and want more. I guess I have to suspect that any EM6 will cost more (even more than the price increase for the EM1), and that is a potential limitation (relative from my going back to my D800), but I still want more!
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I suspect there will eventually be a EM5 replacement... though rumours suggest we are more likely to see a 'budget' EM5 replacement before then.
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The E-M5 will likely just get a production quality upgrade (no crack screen frame, better dial glue, etc.) and stay like it is.
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Why do you think an em6 would be more expensive ?... surely an upgrade or replacement for the em5 would be priced at the same level?

All the camera manufacturers make models at a range of price points and I would suspect that in producing a new model that the price point drives what the cameras features are as much as the features drive the price

5. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Pen prices that I can determine (kits as body only wasn't always obvious):
    E-P1 $800
    E-P2 $900
    E-P3 $900
    E-P5 ??? $1000 Body Only. $1200-$1300 with lens depending on how you value the VF part of the kit.

E-PL1 $600
    E-PL2 $600
    E-PL3 $700
    E-PL5 $700

E-PM1 $500
    E-PM2 $600

Though they eventually (quite quickly) revised down the MSRP on some by $100 to the point that they probably should have just left the price alone in each category. Maybe they were hoping on getting a bit more out of early adopters than the cameras' "true" value.

On that basis, any E-M5 replacement will probably come out at $100 over the original E-M5 MSRP then be adjusted down by $100 within three months.
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Au contraire, I personally expect a new E-M6-ish fairly soon, maybe even before Xmas.
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Olympus is going to need a camera in the $1k area, and I don't think a 2-year old E-M5 would work for that. Seems like sometime before next April, they'll need to offer an update.
  8. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    I suspect that it's not going to be call the E-M6. They will likely start marks like canon does with the OM-D line.

That said who knows I wouldn't mind if they refresh the E-M5 with PDAF, iso 100, wifi, 1/8000 and focus peaking. I sort of prefer the somewhat smaller size compared to the E-M1. But i'll see I am very tempted by E-M1 due to kid going to be crawling if not walking and running around xmas time and me having not use canon stuff for months at this point would like to consolidate onto 1 system.
  9. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    I agree. I'm not the first in line for the EM1, so I'm kind of holding out for the EM5's successor because I'll take every little size/weight advantage I can. Plus, I have the battery grip for the EM5 that I'm hoping can be used on its successor.

I'm very happy with the EM5, however, don't get me wrong! :) But I wouldn't mind if EM1's tech got trickled down.
  10. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Exactly the same thoughts here (minus the battery grip). I'm trying to wait for E-M5 successor but the E-M1 is getting harder and harder to resist... :eek:
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    But what if you buy an E-M1 and suddenly find available an E-M* without weathersealing, same size as E-M5 but containing the VF-4 and with the new PD-AF abilities?
    The E-M1 is no way as portable, and not so nicely retro either.
    In some ways a replacement E-M5 could be better than an E-M1 ...
  12. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Not interested.

Until I read Ming Thein's two-part review. Now I want the E-M1 +12-40 kit.

But my finances say no...
  13. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Had a look at the advertising for the EM1 today. Just as I was perusing the Olympus site my wife walked in. I showed her what I was looking at, assuring her I was not interested in spending more of our household budget on camera gear.

God I hate lying to my wife.
  14. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I've read rumors of a budget OMD as well. My, purely speculative, thought is that we won't see another OMD released for several months. It just makes sense to let the EM1 be the star of the show for a while. And then I have to ask: Is there really a need for an EM1, a successor to the EM5, and some kind of a budget OMD? I could really see this morphing into a "pro" line with all the bells and whistles and weather sealing, and a budget line with most of the same features as the pro line, but released later and without weather sealing and probably things like slower frame rates.
  15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I have an E-P1 and E-PL2. This is the major concern I have with the pricing. I can see spending more for a product after a few years if its the next level up. But the E-P2 was more than the E-P1, and the E-P3 was more than the E-P2. When I buy a smart phone every two years, I spend the same price and get twice the features since I'm buying the latest and greatest two years later. The same goes for most other electronic devices. I'd be all over an E-P5if it was 700-800. I don't know if they've done this so that they can then lower the price several years later and then push them out or not.
  16. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    There should be an E-M5 mark II, not E-M6, I suppose. I think it will retain the same or similar form factor to that of E-M5 (with silver body as an option), will most likely adopt HDL6 grip and have all the goodies of E-P5 - 1/8000 shutter, better screen, better viewfinder, etc. And if it incroduces a new sensor, focus peaking, 25p for video (c'mon, Olympus, all Europe uses 25p!!! what a shame!!!) - I will jump in :) I won't be moving to E-M1. And it shouldn't be more expensive than E-M1, since it won't feature the buid in grip, hdr modes, all customizable buttons and freeze profing. Perhaps $100-200 more expensive than E-M5 after the price drop, about $1,100 for a body?