Opinion Article: Street Photography Rules Are Dumb

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    "One of the unfortunate side effects of the street photography craze is the plethora of people trying to make a living from "teaching" the genre to all the eager newbies. Indeed, some do seem to paying the bills from this endeavor - at least for the moment, mostly because those newbies are coming by the trainload. The problem comes in the form of unqualified teachers making up stupid content to teach. Enter street photography rules."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-ernest-sweet/street-photography-rules-_b_8100756.html

What do you guys think? :D

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Didn't know there were any rules!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I generally agree. Street photography is entering a "fad" phase and there are a lot of people looking to make a buck off it. I recently bought a street photography how-to which I promptly returned when I realized that all it was was a regurgitation of all the "rules" that I'd read numerous times already! Add to that the photos in the book were wretched.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    There are rules?
    (I don't click links without a chunk of the text. Lazy posting.)

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fixed!

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    If you want to learn, simply follow Thomas Leuthard on Flickr. But don't copy him to the extent that you churn out the same stuff, even if you could.

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well, I took a look at the linked article. Everyone above is in favour of no rules, and against people trying to set rules.

Guess what?

So is the guy who wrote the article in the link. It's actually a pretty good article in my view, and doesn't do a bad job of debunking some of the rules.

It could have been better, however. In debunking the rule on no cropping he could have gone a little further and mentioned the images where HCB cropped, especially the famous one of the guy jumping over the puddle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    I think it is silly to call them "rules." This is a two-way problem though. It is very common for new forum members to ask about rules. Some people want rules, others find them offensive to the act of photography. I am more in the latter group, and I try to be careful if and when I give photography advice. I believe there is no right or wrong in photography, but at the same time I can see patterns and common elements in the photos I like. So I try to learn what elements I enjoy in a photograph and keep that information in the arsenal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    And he has a free ebook which is decent.
    He says he does not try to make money from photography.

Marius Vieth has a blog, newsletter, etc.

From what I've read, it's near impossible to make a living doing street photography except by charging for training.

Barry

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Thomas Leuthard follows me on Flickr... I'm famous! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I started reading the article and immediately one particular person came to mind. Then, later in the article, he linked to two contradictory posts by this person as his poster child, thus confirming my initial hunch. In all, I thought it was a good reminder of "buyer beware".

--Ken

12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Hahah, I never clicked the links, but I immediately knew who you were talking about. That's what happens when you try to turn street photography into a lucrative career. Such a terrifically ill-conceived idea.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    As soon as I read the first paragraph, I knew Eric Kim would be mentioned.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    And Ming Thein follows me which means I'm equally famous. Hahahaha...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

#1: Don't talk about Fight Club...

16. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Does that mean by extension, that if Rick Gerrity and Rob Knight both follow me on Instagram that I'm twice as famous...? :hmmm:

17. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Of course, but you know what they say about the price of fame.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

It is a heavy burden but somebody has to do it... :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1