Operating Temperature of a G5?

snegron

Mu-43 Regular
Anyone know what the operating temperatures are for the G5 (lowest ant hottest temps)? Anyone push the G5 bellow or above these min/max temps for an extended period of time? Anything major happen (LCD go black, batteries stop working, camera shuts down, etc.)?

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
32-104F as per the owners manual
which translates to 0-40 C?
I'd say that's a quite limited range. in winter we'd always shoot in below 0, and in some parts of the world the temperature goes easily higher than 40, I don't see a reason why G5 can't work.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
My G1 has been out in -15C for extended periods, battery drain is a problem.

City folk have all sorts of quaint notions about what gear can and can't do
This particular day was bightingly cold and the camera was hung around my neck or dangling from my arm most of the day

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/12/frost-on-lake.html

This guy shot a whole documentary below freezing

http://vimeo.com/107231188

During the making of this documentary I never once put the camera in it’s bag. If I wasn’t using it, I just left it in my tent., which isn’t that much warmer than outside. The same went for the lenses – I used the Lumix 12-35mm F2.8, the 35-100mm F2.8 and the 100-300mm F4.0-5.6. For sound I used a Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro with a Dead Kitten in an attempt to block most of the wind. Most of the shots were on a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod."

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
An interesting video, but one that was once again destroyed because the volume of the music drowned out the narration. I don't know if it's my computer speakers or what, but all too often when trying to watch some videos, I can't understand a word that's spoken because of the background music being so loud.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
The operating temperature range given by a manufacturer is the temperature range that the equipment will meet its specified performance. Once beyond the mfg's operating temperature range, you're on your own.

snkenai

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ray, I have the same problem/hatred! Too many people think, that the music (?), is more important than content. Old ears cannot separate the two.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
In addition to the above-mentioned concerns, condensation can also be a problem with rapid changes in temperature if there is moisture in the air. When I used to shoot BIF in winter (which is generally mild in this part of the country), I tried not to bring the camera in and out of the car when I warmed myself up every now and then.

--Ken

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
In addition to the above-mentioned concerns, condensation can also be a problem with rapid changes in temperature if there is moisture in the air. When I used to shoot BIF in winter (which is generally mild in this part of the country), I tried not to bring the camera in and out of the car when I warmed myself up every now and then.

--Ken
which reminds me of rainy season in Sri Lanka, don't ever think you can take a photo within half an hour since you walk out of anywhere air conditioned.

BigOwl

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Al
I can give one data point from my experience. I used a G5 to photograph my granddaughter's high school graduation in an outdoor stadium in June of 2013. This was in South Texas and it was so hot that people, including me, were leaving the stands to look for shade. I found that the LCD got so dim that I could hardly see the image even when shading it. The eye-level finder functioned perfectly, the shots I took all were acceptable and the LCD recovered as soon as it cooled. I'm sure the ambient temperature was no more than 100 deg. F, but direct sun on the camera could heat it significantly higher.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I have spent a fair bit of time using my GX1 in subzero temperatures (to about -15 C, maybe -20 C worst case) temperatures. Nothing goes wrong, but batteries obviously don't last as well. Keep a spare one close to your chest. If you warm up the "dead" battery you can sometimes get some more shots out of it later, as well.

ahinesdesign

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Aaron
I never used my G5 in extreme temps, but I can say that my old E-PM1 held up well when used below freezing. The LCD would respond very slowly, but it still fired the shutter normally. Images seemed to have less noise, but that may have just been wishful thinking.... Batteries don't last as long, but that is a known issue for all electronic devices in cold temps.

BigOwl

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Al
Again, I'm just relating my experience here, but I've definitely seen a lower noise level at low temperatures. My old Lumix FZ8, which gives quite noisy results at ISO 3200 at normal ambient temperatures, gave me usable results when used on a cold day.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
..., condensation can also be a problem with rapid changes in temperature if there is moisture in the air. When I used to shoot BIF in winter
zip lock bag the camera and lens outside, leave it to reach room temp before opening the bag. Has worked fine when I come inside from -30C in Finland to +24C heated house.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom