1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Operating Temperature of a G5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by snegron, Oct 27, 2014.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Anyone know what the operating temperatures are for the G5 (lowest ant hottest temps)? Anyone push the G5 bellow or above these min/max temps for an extended period of time? Anything major happen (LCD go black, batteries stop working, camera shuts down, etc.)?

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

32-104F as per the owners manual

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    which translates to 0-40 C?
    I'd say that's a quite limited range. in winter we'd always shoot in below 0, and in some parts of the world the temperature goes easily higher than 40, I don't see a reason why G5 can't work.

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    My G1 has been out in -15C for extended periods, battery drain is a problem.

City folk have all sorts of quaint notions about what gear can and can't do
    This particular day was bightingly cold and the camera was hung around my neck or dangling from my arm most of the day

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/12/frost-on-lake.html

This guy shot a whole documentary below freezing

http://vimeo.com/107231188

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    An interesting video, but one that was once again destroyed because the volume of the music drowned out the narration. I don't know if it's my computer speakers or what, but all too often when trying to watch some videos, I can't understand a word that's spoken because of the background music being so loud.

• Like Like x 1
  6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The operating temperature range given by a manufacturer is the temperature range that the equipment will meet its specified performance. Once beyond the mfg's operating temperature range, you're on your own.

7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Ray, I have the same problem/hatred! Too many people think, that the music (?), is more important than content. Old ears cannot separate the two.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I wonder if you get less image noise at subfreezing temps?
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    In addition to the above-mentioned concerns, condensation can also be a problem with rapid changes in temperature if there is moisture in the air. When I used to shoot BIF in winter (which is generally mild in this part of the country), I tried not to bring the camera in and out of the car when I warmed myself up every now and then.

--Ken

10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    which reminds me of rainy season in Sri Lanka, don't ever think you can take a photo within half an hour since you walk out of anywhere air conditioned.

11. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    I can give one data point from my experience. I used a G5 to photograph my granddaughter's high school graduation in an outdoor stadium in June of 2013. This was in South Texas and it was so hot that people, including me, were leaving the stands to look for shade. I found that the LCD got so dim that I could hardly see the image even when shading it. The eye-level finder functioned perfectly, the shots I took all were acceptable and the LCD recovered as soon as it cooled. I'm sure the ambient temperature was no more than 100 deg. F, but direct sun on the camera could heat it significantly higher.

12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I have spent a fair bit of time using my GX1 in subzero temperatures (to about -15 C, maybe -20 C worst case) temperatures. Nothing goes wrong, but batteries obviously don't last as well. Keep a spare one close to your chest. If you warm up the "dead" battery you can sometimes get some more shots out of it later, as well.

13. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I never used my G5 in extreme temps, but I can say that my old E-PM1 held up well when used below freezing. The LCD would respond very slowly, but it still fired the shutter normally. Images seemed to have less noise, but that may have just been wishful thinking.... Batteries don't last as long, but that is a known issue for all electronic devices in cold temps.

14. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    Again, I'm just relating my experience here, but I've definitely seen a lower noise level at low temperatures. My old Lumix FZ8, which gives quite noisy results at ISO 3200 at normal ambient temperatures, gave me usable results when used on a cold day.

15. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    interesting ... and they do chill CCD's in astrophotography!

16. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    zip lock bag the camera and lens outside, leave it to reach room temp before opening the bag. Has worked fine when I come inside from -30C in Finland to +24C heated house.