Opening up the site to all cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I'm thinking about fully opening up Mu-43 to other camera systems besides MFT rather than relegating them to "Other Systems". Please let me know what you think.

Here's why:

1) We inevitably lose friends by having a system focus. So many great members have left us because they decided to shoot a different system.

2) All photography forums are shrinking. I don't know if it's because of sites like Facebook and Instagram or because of phone cameras, but it is a fact. Not just for my sites either. My hope is that by opening up this site and merging in others, that we can keep a critical mass of activity.

3) It will cost me less money. About half of my ad revenue disappeared as a result of GDPR and one of the other ad programs shutting down. It's become much more difficult to pay for all the licenses, etc, for the four sites.

4) I can do a better job if I focus on fewer sites. I can spend more time and money to make the site and app better, more user friendly, more capable, less buggy, etc.

5) With Panasonic moving into full frame, a number of our members will be interested in that. L-mount really doesn't have a place in our current situation, but it would have a prominent place in the new, open site.

Answers to FAQ (will update this as the discussion continues):

-All of the content would be retained. Nearly all of our subforums would be kept. The gear ones would be moved under a Micro 4/3 heading. New headings and subforums would be added for other popular systems (Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Leica)

-The forums would be actively moderated to prevent trolling of the Micro 4/3 section. I know that on some other sites, there are people who only post in MFT to troll. I would have absolutely no tolerance for that.

-The forums I would likely merge in here are Cameraderie (definitely) and Talkemount (likely). After discussion with the members there, I have already decided to keep the Nikon Cafe separate. I didn't start that site, and the culture there is somewhat different than the others.

-The site name would have to change. I don't know what it would change to and would be open to suggestions on that front. If you have an idea for an amazing name, it probably has already been taken. You can check if a name is still available here: Domain Names | The World's Largest Domain Name Registrar - GoDaddy

-Inevitably, someone will say that the decision has already been made and that I am just going through the motions here. The truth is that I am leaning towards the change but have not made a decision yet.

Last edited:

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
It seems a good idea to cut down on the costs of holding multiple maker based sites, The other sites do seem to not be as lively as this one so as sub forums makes some sense. You could always if need be call it 'mirror free city' or similar. Better for us that follow to have a merged set of sites than lose all the sites.

PannyPaul

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not a big poster on here but I am considering moving systems and did think it would be sad to leave here as it's a very friendly and well mannered place with tons of good info. So I support it for sure

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't want to alienate the mirror users :).

So far, the best I could find which was still available is cameraforums.org. It's general and easy to spell/remember and not cutesy or corny. The downside is that it's a little dry.
That's really dry, kind of lame. Maybe if you add "The" to it. Thecameraforums .

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
I support the idea. Instead of 'open up', which imply the site has been closed and exclusive, let's say 'expand'.

Moderators will need to work harder to keep the site civil, because if someone says 'X is better than Y', the owner of Y will be inevitably hurt and start arguing. It's a human nature.

This site is unique because it's civil and friendly, while maintaining its openness.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Moderators will need to work harder to keep the site civil, because if someone says 'X is better than Y', the owner of Y will be inevitably hurt and start arguing. It's a human nature.

We have great moderators on all of the of the sites which may be involved here. Also have the same priorities - to keep the site civil and friendly. I hope that most of the moderators will be willing to stay on. I will certainly work harder towards the goal which you mentioned!

Even without expanding the site, I'm seeing a lot more bickering here these days. The same three or four people having the same fight about how MFT compares to other systems. Regardless of whether or how we expand, we've got to find something to do about that bickering, as it lowers the experience for everyone else.

Andrewmap

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Martin
We have great moderators on all of the of the sites which may be involved here. Also have the same priorities - to keep the site civil and friendly. I hope that most of the moderators will be willing to stay on. I will certainly work harder towards the goal which you mentioned!

Even without expanding the site, I'm seeing a lot more bickering here these days. The same three or four people having the same fight about how MFT compares to other systems. Regardless of whether or how we expand, we've got to find something to do about that bickering, as it lowers the experience for everyone else.
Maybe use a similar system to Facebook: pause them for 30 days; then if they keep the same attitude up once they are back online, bar them from the forum?

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
Nothing stands still in this constantly evolving and sadly shrinking world of camera-based photography, so I think a change of direction is not a bad idea.

The M43 system which was an existing revolution that seemed would take the camera world by storm for many of us, especially around the time of the introduction of the EM5 has become “just another system” especially as the “place to be” right now seems to be FF mirrorless.

This forum seems to have a good base of people who are more interested in photography than cameras, so I guess there is a good base to start from. I like many others have changed focus and now include FF in my kit. It becomes a bit limiting to talk about and post pictures from just one side of my photography. So, I would welcome a wider forum.

I follow like others here, the DPR M43 forum too ( I must be a masochist). The problem there is the unwillingness by the moderators to eliminate certain prolific and disruptive “visitors” like Great Bustard, Sergey Green ,Forgottenbutnotgone and a few other non M43 user “names” who make that forum insufferable at times. There is no reason why a wider forum should end up as an “equivalence” cess pit like the DPR M43 forum. It just needs good moderation.

I note that the DPR forums are in sharp decline if you look at the “top poster” numbers.

So yes I would welcome a wider remit, with also a section that discusses the artistic side of photography; an area sadly missing from all the big forums on photography.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
I'm thinking about fully opening up Mu-43 to other camera systems...

4) I can do a better job if I focus on fewer sites. I can spend more time and money to make the site and app better, more user friendly, more capable, less buggy, etc.

does that mean that talkemount will be merged?

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Put me down as another one in the yes column. You've done a great job with what we already have here, I'm sure your refinements and adaptations will keep the site viable and energetic.
As to a new name, I'd suggest we could open a naming contest thread which gives everyone the opportunity to participate in being part of the solution.
Some ideas;
The Camera Club
The Digital Camera Club
The More Cameras than Brains Club
(not that there's anything wrong with that)
Just Shoot Me
The Best Little Photohouse in Texas (or anywhere else)
Why God Made Cameras
Camera (R)Evolution
etc.,etc.,etc....

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As long as it stays mu-43.com and welcomes other systems I'd like that. I joined early on thanks to the wealth of information and friendly discussion about Micro Four Thirds here and the lack of DPR style trolling.

I'm still on the edge regarding trolling given that we have circular arguments going on here time to time regarding the "inevitable death" of all formats but one. That and the whole mantra that happens every new marketing blitz that follows a new camera. It kind of gets old to see a release or announcement get turned into a springboard for 20 page threads like that.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I'm still on the edge regarding trolling given that we have circular arguments going on here time to time regarding the "inevitable death" of all formats but one.

I agree, very annoying. Maybe all of those threads should be immediately merged into one "death" thread in the back room subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom