Opening up the site to all cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Any chance in the Mu-43 section of keeping a few of the main image sections for wild life and landscape.
for images of birds, lizards and landscape Mu-43 may not look too good if mixed up with a lot of FF. In the camera club I am in you can really tell the difference in the details. This could lead to less Mu-43 photos being posted.. possibly
I know it is way off topic, but if you can see a big difference in detail, it isn’t due to the camera. It may be you not getting the best out of your gear. There are numerous examples about how much detail a camera like the EM1 can extract.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm disappointed that Amin is leaning toward no change here. The thing that makes this site special, imo, is not the focus on mft gear, but rather the attitude that developed from the early members with Amin's leadership. That attitude has been largely maintained, even through the recent FF crisis.

I'd like to see a site with that attitude where all formats are included. I don't think we need to be insular to keep this place special.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm disappointed that Amin is leaning toward no change here. The thing that makes this site special, imo, is not the focus on mft gear, but rather the attitude that developed from the early members with Amin's leadership. That attitude has been largely maintained, even through the recent FF crisis.

I'd like to see a site with that attitude where all formats are included. I don't think we need to be insular to keep this place special.
There is always FM

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I know it is way off topic, but if you can see a big difference in detail, it isn’t due to the camera. It may be you not getting the best out of your gear. There are numerous examples about how much detail a camera like the EM1 can extract.
I am not specifically referring to my images in this instance but images I see shown "electronically" at a camera club I am in.
Edit: I think I will leave this topic alone now, as I have nothing more constructive to add.
But I do agree I have a lot of room for improovement.

Last edited:

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
Those who are interested in a multi format site should probably come and join us on the existing cameraderie site (in addition to being members here of course). That way, should Amin decide to make the changes here or not, you can be part of a site that does cater for all formats and is still part of the same "family".

I've only been active there for a short while and my impression is that it is full of good people like here with more emphasis on the craft than the gear. But as it was born out of a merge it is still a little fragmented. More contributing active members can only help.

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
Does
It
Come
Kicking

Out of you, this desire to battle the evils of other formats at every opportunity? In the immortal words of Queen Elsa, let it go.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm late to the table here, but as a member that shoots multiple formats, I'd actually prefer the forum to remain as it is. keep the primary focus on M43 with an 'other formats' sub outlet for us M43 enthusiasts that sometimes play in another street. I feel that opening the doors to all formats would dilute the sentiment that makes this forum special.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
This thread has been very helpful for me to think things through. I appreciate everyone's comments very much. I'm now leaning towards leaving this site as it is.

My biggest priority is to decrease the amount of administrative work I do. I've always done this more as a hobby than for profit, and it's more than I want to do right now. I'm thinking of trying to find a new owner for one of the other sites. Will see how that goes...
I think that's a wise move Amin. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There are plenty of other multi-format general photography forums out there but nothing else that even gets close to mu-43 for our community.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Does
It
Come
Kicking

Out of you, this desire to battle the evils of other formats at every opportunity? In the immortal words of Queen Elsa, let it go.
Does
It
Come
Kicking

Sorry to disappoint, I’m a sucker for accurate info. But if you don’t like my posts, I believe that you can put me on some kind of an ignore list. I very strongly recommend it.

Amin or any of the moderators have every right to ban me or tell me what to do on this site. You, on the other hand, DON’T

As far as detail from m4/3, Tim Ashley is a pro and a big detail freak and this is what he said about the 12-40/em1 combo vs the d800 and a7r combo.

Regular readers will know that I repeatedly, in anticipation of the arrival of this lens, stated that it was going to be a 'make or break' lens for the new EF system. I had already noted that the Olympus 12-40 F2.8 lens on an E-M1 could effortlessly get sharper edges on a 20" print than my copy of the famous 'Trinity' Nikkor 24-70 F2.8 on a D800E especially at the wide end. For that reason I was keen to shoot that lens, despite the less good sensor of the MTF system, rather than the Nikkor. It is a very good lens. So what I wanted from the EF24-70 F4 OSS was a similar performance. If it proved capable of this, it would become my 'go to' lens, making the A7R my 'go to' system. Does it achieve this? Not quite. When you shoot it absolutely optimally, and re-size the images to match the resolution of the E-M1 (or make a 20" print), there is a tiny, tiny smidge more detail at the far peripheries of the Oly wide images

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
Sorry to disappoint, I’m a sucker for accurate info. But if you don’t like my posts, I believe that you can put me on some kind of an ignore list. I very strongly recommend it.

Amin or any of the moderators have every right to ban me or tell me what to do on this site. You, on the other hand, DON’T

As far as detail from m4/3, Tim Ashley is a pro and a big detail freak and this is what he said about the 12-40/em1 combo vs the d800 and a7r combo.

Regular readers will know that I repeatedly, in anticipation of the arrival of this lens, stated that it was going to be a 'make or break' lens for the new EF system. I had already noted that the Olympus 12-40 F2.8 lens on an E-M1 could effortlessly get sharper edges on a 20" print than my copy of the famous 'Trinity' Nikkor 24-70 F2.8 on a D800E especially at the wide end. For that reason I was keen to shoot that lens, despite the less good sensor of the MTF system, rather than the Nikkor. It is a very good lens. So what I wanted from the EF24-70 F4 OSS was a similar performance. If it proved capable of this, it would become my 'go to' lens, making the A7R my 'go to' system. Does it achieve this? Not quite. When you shoot it absolutely optimally, and re-size the images to match the resolution of the E-M1 (or make a 20" print), there is a tiny, tiny smidge more detail at the far peripheries of the Oly wide images
I don't put anyone on an ignore list. I enjoy our little chats. As for the rest, I didn't read it. But I do think you are make this place less welcoming and I'm happy to remind you of that in the threads that you derail. And if you have a problem with that you can put me on an ignore list. Then you won't have to see it, but everyone else will, and they'll know that not everyone feels the way you do. And I like that.

Amin Sabet

Administrator

I'm really torn. I personally would enjoy the site more if it were expanded in scope. And I know we'd retain some friends whom we'd otherwise lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom