Opening Olympus ORF (RAW) files in Windows

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Rider, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I've downloaded and installed the Olympus RAW Codec (64 bit).

When I double click a RAW file, it initially displays for a split second and then a message pops up saying:

"Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because file appears to be damaged, corrupted or is too large."

It happens with all files, so they can't be all damaged or corrupted. Is this a known limitation?

2. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    There's no file size limit with Windows Photo Viewer. At this point, I'd try to rule out the SD card; shoot a couple of random pictures onto a different card, and see if they're OK to import and view.

3. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I should have mentioned--the raw files open without a problem in Lightroom 2, Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS5, Olympus Viewer 2 and Capture One 5.2. I emailed one to a friend who has an Apple and he opened it in Aperture. I also copied a file back to the camera and it was fine.

4. larski

larski New to Mu-43

May 18, 2011
    I am also experiencing this problem. Did you ever arrive at a solution? I have two different computers that both display the same error message. Lightroom displays the images without a problem.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Fast Picture Viewer Codec Pack is a commercial product containg most if not all RAW codecs (370 models). Costs $15 and is regularly updated.

If you just want to view thumbnails look at the Instant Jpeg From Raw application. You need to register at Michael Tapes site to get an emailed download link.

6. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    For less than $15 dollars, I simply uninstalled the Olympus codec and now use only Lightroom and Photoshop. I no longer see a reason to browse the files through Windows Explorer. I guess that's the way they want it. I also sold the Olympus.

7. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    Irfanview opens them just fine, and it's free. For browsing thumbnails, Picasa works well.