Opening Olympus ORF (RAW) files in Windows

Rider

Mu-43 Regular
I've downloaded and installed the Olympus RAW Codec (64 bit).

When I double click a RAW file, it initially displays for a split second and then a message pops up saying:

"Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because file appears to be damaged, corrupted or is too large."

It happens with all files, so they can't be all damaged or corrupted. Is this a known limitation?

Brianetta

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Ronald
There's no file size limit with Windows Photo Viewer. At this point, I'd try to rule out the SD card; shoot a couple of random pictures onto a different card, and see if they're OK to import and view.

Rider

Mu-43 Regular
I should have mentioned--the raw files open without a problem in Lightroom 2, Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS5, Olympus Viewer 2 and Capture One 5.2. I emailed one to a friend who has an Apple and he opened it in Aperture. I also copied a file back to the camera and it was fine.

larski

New to Mu-43
I am also experiencing this problem. Did you ever arrive at a solution? I have two different computers that both display the same error message. Lightroom displays the images without a problem.

Rider

Mu-43 Regular
For less than $15 dollars, I simply uninstalled the Olympus codec and now use only Lightroom and Photoshop. I no longer see a reason to browse the files through Windows Explorer. I guess that's the way they want it. I also sold the Olympus.

Tecpatl4

Mu-43 Veteran
Irfanview opens them just fine, and it's free. For browsing thumbnails, Picasa works well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom