Open challenge - who can identify why I thought his technique is so interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
thats a weird video, the central part on him shooting the composition in three different light conditions is pretty interesting. Before that there is like 7m of nothing, and at the end there is 5/6 more of errors they made while shooting the initial nonsense.

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
thats a weird video, the central part on him shooting the composition in three different light conditions is pretty interesting. Before that there is like 7m of nothing, and at the end there is 5/6 more of errors they made while shooting the initial nonsense.
That's what that channel is about: mixing comedy and actual photography tips. You are of course free to not like that format.

I have found that many photography videos (or even videos in general?) on YouTube contain a lot of non-essential, 'vlog style' stuff. So we first watch 3 minutes of the author showing how he makes breakfast and giving us updates on his book and t-shirt sales, and then if you're lucky you will find some actual valuable content. I'm guessing this is because YouTube rewards creators who make videos that are longer than 10 minutes (more ad revenue, more exposure).

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Thanks for mentioning the timestamps. I have watched that part. Is exposure blending the technique you're referring to? I think Gavin does that a lot, for instance with one long exposure to get a blurry waterfall and a shorter exposure to keep the rest tack sharp, and then blending it in post. Similarly for focus stacking.

Have I won the challenge? ?

Hello Frank, Richard

What I found really interesting is how he builds up the image. The way he waited for exactly the right time - he does this always. He was talking about the pink in the far off sky that he wanted and then capturing that same pink into the waterfalls. And then what also interested me was how he builds up the image from different images. It seems he takes several shots each focussing/mastering another part of the final image and then he combines them into the final piece of artwork... What did you guys think of the night image?

So the key I was looking for, was no one camera is able to do all in one go in this example... This really is a complex example and I doubt one only image will capture it all... He uses this technique of building his images up in most of his work and I think he uses an A7R III...

In addition, there was many other really interesting aspects to the video - but if you think about it the key I left to finding the answer was in the original title which then offended our local full-frame advocates...

Thanks for trying

Siegfried

Last edited:

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Hello Frank, Richard

What I found really interesting is how he builds up the image. The way he waited for exactly the right time - he does this always. He was talking about the pink in the far off sky that he wanted and then capturing that same pink into the waterfalls. And then what also interested me was how he builds up the image from different images. It seems he takes several shots each focussing/mastering another part of the final image and then he combines them into the final piece of artwork... What did you guys think of the night image?

So the key I was looking for, was no one camera is able to do all in one go in this example... This really is a complex example and I doubt one only image will capture it all... He uses this technique of building his images up in most of his work and I think he uses an A7R III...

Thanks for trying

Siegfried

YES YES YES
I knew it, it was exactly that what you thought about his technique
I told you so
And all the other peasant sheeple could not guess it... pfff, attention span of 3 seconds does that to you, right?

:doh:

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Didn't you found the video part interesting? I liked the way they showed the video script at the end and then looking at the start again what looks perfect takes a lot of work... NOTHING is just one image or one video recording - a lot of technique, planning, script, obviously, photography technique included in this video - most amazing is how entertaining the final product is based on very basic tools - people and a camera, maybe lights - did you see any lights?

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The way he waited for exactly the right time - he does this always.
Yes, and sacrificing hours of sleep while doing so. I think he mentioned it was 1:30am at some point? Ugh, the life of a landscape photographer. ? But I admire his dedication.

And then what also interested me was how he builds up the image from different images.
Yes that's what I meant by exposure blending. It's an interesting technique. It's good to know that it's possible, and it is indeed applicable no matter the equipment you use.

What did you guys think of the night image?
It's pretty nice, although I am personally not a fan of these kinds of long exposure shots.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I ought to have paid more attention to the photography.

jack.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Yes, and sacrificing hours of sleep while doing so. I think he mentioned it was 1:30am at some point? Ugh, the life of a landscape photographer. ? But I admire his dedication.

Yes that's what I meant by exposure blending. It's an interesting technique. It's good to know that it's possible, and it is indeed applicable no matter the equipment you use.

It's pretty nice, although I am personally not a fan of these kinds of long exposure shots.

Frank, personally I am not that good with portraits - seem to always miss the moment, in fact, my son always takes multiple shots and then selects his masterpiece from that...

My Q - I wonder if these landscape photographers make good money, I follow a few of them on YT and find their work so interesting...

Check out this Kodachrome25 profile with my Pen F

_7080214.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
My Q - I wonder if these landscape photographers make good money, I follow a few of them on YT and find their work so interesting...

Another form of accessible and instant fame for the millennials to buy in to. Now everyone's a TV star.

A numbers game - and one which has the potential to be lucrative.

When enough followers regularly watch the videos from start to finish, they can make very worthwhile advertising revenue.

Then there's the t-shirts, mugs, affiliate links, calendars etc, etc. Software reviews (I recommend this, use my code for 10% off and they pay me 15% on top).

LUTs/profiles (hey everyone, now you can pay $10 and make all of your pictures look just like badly composed versions of mine).

Then they get paid to give talks. They do photo expeditions where 25 people all go to The Congo for instruction on how to take the same pictures for Instagram.

I'm sort of jealous - but suspect it's very hard work.

Mr Heaton reckons he spends little time actually taking pictures.

I wonder if these landscape photographers make good money, I follow a few of them on YT and find their work so interesting...

You might like Mark Denny too. I think he's relatively unknown? I started watching his channel a while ago because he mostly talks about landscape photography. Good information.

I like this hobby but I dislike most of photography videos for some reason. I won't touch a lengthy video on YouTube unless it's by Doug Demuro, mkbhd, Wendover productions, Fermilab or on rare occasions Peter McKinnon - the only photography related channel.

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
That's what that channel is about: mixing comedy and actual photography tips. You are of course free to not like that format.

I have found that many photography videos (or even videos in general?) on YouTube contain a lot of non-essential, 'vlog style' stuff. So we first watch 3 minutes of the author showing how he makes breakfast and giving us updates on his book and t-shirt sales, and then if you're lucky you will find some actual valuable content. I'm guessing this is because YouTube rewards creators who make videos that are longer than 10 minutes (more ad revenue, more exposure).

I respect the idea of mixing genres, I think the prolem is when the comedy part is actually less interesting than the average vlogger’s breakfast. I think YT should rely less on algorytms and more on curation, that video probably has 10 minutes of real photo content....

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
I haven't watched the video yet but I will be because I find Gavin and Uncle Grumpy entertaining. Also 27mins is the perfect length of video, I watch them while the wife is watching her soaps ?
In one of them they explained ISO... Increased Shitty Outcome ?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I think its more a case you do not want people to see something different to you and your mate's repetition of full-frame keywords over and over...

I'll just take from your playbook and repeat the same thing over and over again...

Just give up. You know it is true that all FF systems are far superior to m43 in every way imaginable and measurable. For example.
  • Twice the field of view for any given focal length.
  • Refraction is way better on FF at all apertures.
  • Only system supported by financially secure companies.
  • Less marketing hype, all facts supporting a far superior system.
  • Learning to use the system way easier than messy Olympus menus.
  • ISO advantages at every ISO of several stops over others.
  • Nice user base who stick to facts and never flame others.
  • Great customer support not present on crop systems,
  • Youth oriented; other crop systems only appeal to older users.
  • Optically superior lenses with much better design and build quality.
  • Using adapter lenses from any other system quick and easy.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
You might like Mark Denny too. I think he's relatively unknown? I started watching his channel a while ago because he mostly talks about landscape photography. Good information.

I like this hobby but I dislike most of photography videos for some reason. I won't touch a lengthy video on YouTube unless it's by Doug Demuro, mkbhd, Wendover productions, Fermilab or on rare occasions Peter McKinnon - the only photography related channel.

Peter, I have on my list, the others are new to me, thanks for listing...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom