1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OP/TECH: New soft pouch size, D-Shortie--anyone have this yet?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by FridayFriday, May 2, 2011.

1. FridayFriday

FridayFriday New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2011
    I'm looking for a soft pouch for my GF2 + 20mm. I noticed OP/Tech just came out with a new size: D-Shortie for m43 users.

How does this compare to the D-Small size?

(e) D-Small: 4.5"W X 3"H X 3.25"D
    (*) D-Shortie: 4.75"W X 3"H X 3.75"D NEW SIZE!

http://optechusa.com/soft-pouch-digital-d-series.html

Would love some feedback from you guys before I order. :)

Anyone have the D-Shortie yet?

2. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    I use an SLR body cover - usually used for storing manual SLR bodies [no lens fitted] in the bottom of the camera bag.

I think I got the 'Manual SLR' size which is: 5.75" W X 3" H X 2.0" D.

Details here OP/TECH USA Soft Pouch Body Cover

It's a nice fit for the GF-1 + 20mm. Snug but no struggle to get it in or out. I'm guessing that the ones you're looking at will fit OK but be a fight to put on and remove width-wise.

The big difference is the depth - mine will fit the 20mm and nothing else, yours would accommodate a standard zoom if you bought one since the D-Shortie is nearly twice as deep.

HTH

3. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    Took a couple of Pix

Hope this helps - took me ages to decide on the right size

GF1_and_Manual_SLR_Pouch_1. GF1_and_Manual_SLR_Pouch_2.

4. FridayFriday

FridayFriday New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2011
    Oh wow, thanks for the amazing reply, Simon! That SLR pouch looks like a nice fit. Wonder how that compares to their smaller pouches, but like you said would be hard to get in and out.

I asked Op/Tech and they said the D-Shortie would fit my GF2 + 20mm well. I'm looking for a snug fit, and your case seems to be perfect.

5. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    You're very welcome, I reckon I looked for about 8 or 10 hours through all the neoprene case manufacturers before chancing on the SLR cover.

The case isn't tall enough to allow a GF-1 to be put in with an optical viewfinder attached but I experimented and found that I could [as a test] put my Ricoh GRD2 OVF in the space available next to the lens and in front of the shutter button. Not sure about one the size of the Voigtlander 20mm OVF though - it's a lot bigger than the Ricoh's.

HTH

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I looked around for a loooong time for pouches, cases, bags, etc. Ended up getting the OP/TECH soft pouch SLR Auto - it's a good size for the E-PL1 plus legacy 50mm lens with adapter. With 20mm lens attached there's obviously extra wiggle room in the bulge.