1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oooh, instant rebate on the GH2 & GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by speltrong, Apr 2, 2012.

1. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    • Like Like x 1
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    May guess is that it's a reaction to the OM-D.

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Wow, drawing me closer to a GX1.

4. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    dive, Dave, dive!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I often buy "last year's tech" as a way of saving money over time. I am thinking the same thing about the GH2 and GX1.

6. cray-

cray- New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2012
    Perth, Aus.
    Damnit, got my GH2 from Adorama only 2 weeks ago for $899, retroactive rebates or am I sweet out of luck?

7. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    If you bought it with a credit-card, you may have a price-protection policy in your guideline that'll reimburse the difference. Either that, or you could try calling Adorama.

Btw, Amazon just dropped their kit prices to $749 also.

8. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    MAN does this make me happy that I got my GH2 around xmas at Samy's for 599, no tax, and 14-42 (which I sold for $120).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I purchased my GX1 in Jan this year and in the UK they were giving away a free copy of Lightroom 3 with every GX1.

I do suspect that Panasonic will launch an upgraded GH3 that in many ways matches the status of the OMD - they have already hinted at a very, very high standard camera that is pending so perhaps all will be revealed later this week?

Exciting times for a fast growing format!

10. cray-

cray- New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2012
    Perth, Aus.
    Thanks for the tips, already emailed Adorama, just thought I'd check if anyone here had any first hand experience. I paid via PayPal I think, linked to a MasterCard, I'll check if there is a price protection policy, but I highly doubt it, especially with PayPal in the middle.

I'm in Aus, so shipping was USD$83. If i was in the US with free shipping I'd be tempted to return it under the 30day policy & re-buy, save a bit even after paying for return shipping. From Aus I'd lose money, so no point.

Amazon is also out, they don't ship electronics to Aus so their price is irrelevant to me. :) I know prices drop, it's inevitable, I should stop looking. Just that this one hurt as I only got the camera a week from Friday.

Update: CC Price Guarantee Policy is a definite no go, oh well.

"5 – Price Guarantee Cover
    Price guarantee is a benefit available to Bankwest cardholders when new personal goods are purchased by them anywhere in Australia and the entire cost is charged to the cardholder’s eligible credit card account.
    This scheme guarantees the cardholder gets the best price if, within 21 days after the purchase of a personal good, they advise us that they have subsequent to their purchase, received a printed catalogue showing the same personal good (same model number and same model year), by the same manufacturer, for a lower price from a store within 25 kilometres of the store from where the personal good was purchased, and the price difference is greater than A$75."

11. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Very tempting to get a GH2. Just going to wait a little longer and see what the G5 is all about - hopefully the rebate won't run out before then.

12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Don't worry, we can definitely see the pricing trend in m43 bodies. :p Gee it's like saving 30+ % a year off the MSRP haha.

13. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I found the GH2 pricing to be compelling, knowing GH3 is probably on the way (why else the big drop)? Something "big" is always on the way in digital. GH2 has what I need, price was great, now into MFT in a nice way.

14. marko

marko Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 10, 2011
    The most ridiculous part of this, is that you can get the GX1 body only for 661, and the GX1 with the kit zoom for only about 30 bucks more.

I have no interest in that X zoom lens. Wish you could get the body only for cheaper!

15. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I pulled the trigger on the GH2, had an OM-D ordered but this is almost
    1/2 the price...... ;-)

16. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I'm so close to doing this myself - just going to wait two more days to see what comes out of Panasonic's announcement.

17. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Just got my GH2 + 14-45mm lens@ local store ~ 666$. I can buy GX1 + 14-42 X lens ~ 750$. Hard to buy Pany 14-140 so I replaced by Olym 14-150mm ~ 380$

Love LVF + tilt screen of GH2.

Love the quality screen of E-P3.

18. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Your GH2 price is amazing. Wha city are you from exactly? :)

19. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Hanoi, Vietnam! I bought it from Ho Chi Minh City :)

20. cray-

cray- New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2012
    Perth, Aus.
    For anyone keeping score, Adorama came through with the goods! They do indeed have a 30 day price guarantee, so I will have the difference added to my account as store credit. More than happy with that, now to decide on the 20mm f/1.7 or the 14mm f/2.5 =]