1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ooc jpg's or raw!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kiwi Paul, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Recently I've started using out of camera jpg's for uploads to my online web albums and for displaying photos on camera forums. A year or so ago I only shot raw and would go through photos I'd downloaded from my camera selecting the ones that deserved to be edited in LR.
    Then I bought a tablet which I take traveling and it can only view jpg's so I set the camera to raw and jpg so I could view them while still on holiday.
    Viewing jpg's taught me to really concentrate on exposure and composition as I don't want to edit jpg's at all, not even a post crop, I want what comes out of the camera to be the be all and end all, where with raw I always expected to do post editing in LR to get it just right.
    So now I'm shooting raw and jpg and want to get the jpg's right it means I have to really concentrate and pay attention when composing and selecting the settings, even judging how much the shot needs to be over or under exposed to get the jpg right.
    There are limitations with ooc jpg's, less dynamic range, the same saturation, contrast, sharpness etc settings are always applied by the camera for every shot. Raw gives much greater post processing opportunities, but shooting jpg really makes you think if you want to get it right, more than anything it teaches about exposure and composition. I hate post cropping, I prefer to know what I'm wanting and compose it correctly through the EVF in the first place, takes practice but rewarding when you start getting it right more often than not.

Paul

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yes, we've talked about this a lot here. There's no right answer objectively no matter what anyone says -- only what works for you.

3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    regardless of which you choose, I'm sure approaching your photography like you are will make you a better photographer.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    What does RAW vs JPG have to do with composition? When I am thinking about composition, what format I am saving in never enters my mind.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    for some people it seems the process stops when the shutter clicks... for me the process stops when I have a finished image... sometimes that is when the shutter clicks... but more often its not..... i have no qualms about doing what I have to do to get a final image... I would rather get the shot in the moment rather than worrying about the perfect composition

we all work in different ways with different goals... to me clicking the shutter is the start of the process not the end.

I don't shoot RAW plus Jpeg because i see no speed advantage on the overall process... I still have to load the files to a computing device..why load/manage 2 files when one will do the job .sure an ipad is a little more convenient, but my 2 year old 11 inch macbook air runs Aperture more than enough for my travel needs.

in the end, each to their own... but i really don't get the whole RAW+JPEG thing... choose one or the other

peace

K

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    For OOC jpegs, Fuji comes to the picture.

7. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Hi, after joining m-43 world few days ago, I now have to second your thoughts. Jpeg from my new PEN E-PM2 are just good enough almost all the time for my purposes. And I expect that E-P5 will be as good as E-PM2. So I'm planning to shoot in the future RAW+low resolution JPEGs to add JPEG directly to forums or Facebook or whatever.

But unfortunately I do mistakes in composition and exposure so I will continue to shoot RAW to enable PP. I do want to be able to save some moments, and make them better :)