Only the Image Lives On

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by john1027, Aug 16, 2010.

1. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Interesting rant today by professional photog Scott Bourne at photofocus.com. I do think that for the most part the comments about the flame wars that take place a various forums does not apply to this forum. There is a level of civility and respect for individual opinions here that unfortunately is absent from many other photography related forums. Hope we can keep it that way.

http://photofocus.com/2010/08/14/products-and-people-over-process-and-dogma/

• Like Like x 10
  2. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Nice common-sense article I thought. Not what I'd call a "rant" :smile:. It is funny but understandable how sometimes people can get hung up on things other than the actual photo. After all - gear is cool :43::thumbup:

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks John,
    A short thought filled statement but packed with meaning.

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Agreed, many thanks John. You always seem to find the best reminders as to what's really important.

5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    That article made me think of the years I was a commercial photographer (and before that and assistant) in NYC. It was always easy to break the photographer stereotype into two kinds of photographers. The first that were extremely technical, always testing lenses, different films (yes film - I worked in that industry from '86 - '99), lighting setups etc. I worked sometimes for a buddy that when he set up his darkroom did developer testing for *4 WEEKS* before one roll of film was ever processed in there.

Then there was the other side of the coin. The photographer that did no testing at all. That typically hired really smart assistants that set up the entire shoot then they would walk in, look at the polaroids, shoot a few rolls of film then schmooze the client.

I think what I learned from all those years and now playing around with digital is that all these things are just tools. If we get too focused on one of the tools we loose site of why we are using them in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Photography is a fine art. So is life.
    I see photography 2 ways.
    Making a living from the art.
    Making the art of living.

In the end, ones images tell the story about how one thought and felt.
    There's no right or wrong way, there's just the images.

7. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I liked kevinparis' remark in another recent thread as it so true...