Online backup? recommendations please

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by manju69, Jun 4, 2015.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi - i realise i don't have any cloud back up of my photos. I do have two hard drive backups but if my house burns down.. then i'll have nothing!

Primarily I want storage but it might be helpful to be able to actually see the photos!

I am trying backblaze but it seems to be taking an aeon and affecting my bandwidth...

anyone tried shoebox?

or free ones?

Thanks in advance

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I simply store two backup hard drives in the office and update them every couple weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I use Megasync. The speed is okay once the initial backup is completed.

Andrew

4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Arq, for me the most reliable and secure.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    In addition to multiple copies, both in and off site, I use Smugmug to host my Web site. I can upload full size imagesand have unlimited storage with my account.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I work from home so no office! otherwise I would do that.

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Backblaze backs up all of my drives but it is purely back up. Plus Dropbox which now has a photo app which allows you to see the photos. Apple's iCloud solution for some photos as well.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    So do I. Bank safe deposit box is what I use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Another plug for smugmug...I host all my jpgs there. My RAW files get backed up to two external drives.

10. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Interesting. Maybe cheaper than cloud storage in long run.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    And well, you gain a safe deposit box for other things as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    @2½-3½mbps cloud backup isn't a practical option for me. I host a few photos on a local server and a few more on dropbox but most reside on hard-drives locally. I have planned NAS in one of my out-buildings but it hasn't happened. It would be easier to just walk out there and deposit the HD.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I use a hot swap drive bay and bare 2tb drives. I rotate one copy on a shelf (unplugged, no electrical connections) and one in the safe deposit box. That's in addition to the the copy on a drive in my tower.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I have two IOSafe fire and flood proof external hard drives bolted to to the wall in the crawl space of my house.
    This should help even if someone breaks onto the house and steals all my "visible" equipment.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 2
  15. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    With Amazon Prime I get free unlimited photo storage, so all of my photos are backed up there. I also have several hard drive back ups.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Crash plan for offsite backup of my entire network share drive where all of our documents, photos and videos are stored. Runs every night.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use and like idrive.com

They are very similar to the other cloud providers, but offer a unique way to get your initial full backup done. With most of these services, if you start with a few hundred GB, like I did, then it can take a month to upload. Idrive offers a free HDD service where they mail you an encrypted HDD, you fill it locally via USB, and ship it back. The files appear in your online account a couple weeks later and then it is just incremental (changed) files from then on out. Even after a big trip, the incremental only takes a few hours to upload and can run in the background as a scheduled item.

I'm guessing the HDD service is US only.

18. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I back up to a Synology NAS box in my basement (also serves as media server and backup for all my PCs/Macs) with Synology's own RAID implementation (sort of a Raid 5/6 hybrid I believe, can sustain loss of one or two drives depending on how many drives in the array), which has built in integration with Amazon Web Services S3. A couple of times a year I back up all my files onto a hard drive or two, put in my bank safe deposit box, and do incremental backups in the interim to AWS. Once I do the physical hard drive back up off site, I wipe the AWS backup and just have it back up incremental photos/videos and other files until the next trip to the safe deposit box. I got the cheapest S3 storage option, have hundreds of GB up there and never gets up to $15/month.

Works well, not as complex as it sounds, and worth it as my photos / videos of my family are (next to the humans) really the most important thing I'd want saved if my house burnt down.

19. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    CrashPlan, which I use, offers the same service for a fee. It's the only practical way to get started if you have hundreds of gigabytes of data to store. Otherwise you're talking months to get started.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

Carbonite has saved my bacon. Highly recommended.