One Year with M43 - OM-D E-M5 and E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nstelemark, Jun 2, 2014.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I joined Mu-43 roughly a year ago (May 30th to be exact). I came to m43 from a Canon G1X for a couple of unlikely reasons, the Olympus brand name and the 4/3 50-200 f2.8-3.5.

I realize the whole Oly brand name seems sort of hokey, but a long time ago when I had a bag full of SLR gear (Pentax) it was the camera I wanted and could not afford. So basically instead of buying a Mustang I bought an E-M5. Ok not really :smile: . I did want to take more pictures of my kids sports and I having had a big bag of SLR gear including motor drives and telephoto lenses, I realized I did not want to lug a lot of gear around. Totally by accident I read about the Oly 50-200. I bought it even before I had a body! The bottom line was I wanted a faster operating camera than the G1X (not hard to achieve!), that had more reach and was still compact. I had originally thought I would buy a 7D + L Glass, and keep the G1X as a travel camera, but the 7D was just too big. And, then I quickly bought too many lenses including the 12-60 and 14-54II. I knew this was going to happen, dammit, which is one reason I didn't want an ILC at all.

Then the reality check point occurred :eek: . AF was not anywhere near viable with the 50-200 and the E-M5. Luckily, the big summer sport for my kids is flatwater paddling and it is a relatively predictable sport, so MF can be done, barely.

Then the E-M1 came out! Queue the fanfare and dancing persons! (have to be PC!). It certainly works better with 4/3 glass. Much better. But it is bigger than the E-M5, really small DSLR size. The size issue is ironic though, because the E-M5 with a grip, which you need to use the larger glass, is actually bigger and heavier than the E-M1. Somehow, though, it does not seem that way.

Since I am firmly invested in m43 now, of course it is easy to rationalise the choice. However, there is not direct easy replacement for the 50-200 in other systems. For a lot of what I shoot this lens is really an elegant solution to high quality reach.

M43 is steadily winning unlikely converts. A friend of mine I ran into at a photo club meeting with large bag of DSLR gear was really quite surprised with my small bag of m43 gear (Hadley small). I ran into him at a house warming a few months later and he had fully converted to the E-M1 and a nice selection of lenses. In the end smaller kit is an easy choice to make.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I still use my 4/3 lenses with my E-M1 and don't have any regrets or desire to replace them. I sometimes regret selling my 11-22mm and 50-200mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.