One week into the G9. A rolling review.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Fun fact: your optic nerves cross over (well, a good majority of them) before connecting to the brain. So people who are right-handed (the majority) typically are left-eyed.

So that begs the question: why are cameras set up to favour the right eye?
I’m not sure that is true. I have been shooting for a looooong time. Guns that is. And the first thing we teach people to do is to determine their dominant eye. Most of the right handed people I have trained with were also right eye dominant. Not all, but most.

Jon Li

Mu-43 Regular
I have no choise , my right eye is better than my left eye n that is why I like GX bodies with the viewfinder on the left side .

Kennikins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m not sure that is true. I have been shooting for a looooong time. Guns that is. And the first thing we teach people to do is to determine their dominant eye. Most of the right handed people I have trained with were also right eye dominant. Not all, but most.
I am ambi-eyesterous

fishone0

Mu-43 Regular
I was surprised of how big it is when I opened the box--but compared to my Nikon D500 it is a lightweight and yes easy for me to take on a hike being a 79 year old senior lady

For a Gx-8 user, much improvement is evident. Wow ,you can actually set ISO without making the focal point move instead. I was always disgussted with the way you had to use the touch screen and go through multiple steps to center, the center focus. The joy stick is great. Now it almost operates like a Canon 5D Mk III. Is it getting as hefty?

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The joy stick is great. Now it almost operates like a Canon 5D Mk III. Is it getting as hefty?

Not a chance. My G9 still feels like a toy camera when compared to my now sold 6D, and that was quite a bit more compact than my sisters 5D4. I am still totally enamored with my GX8, but it feels like a sharp, hard edged brick in comparison to my G9. The G9 seems to have a more "soft, or even organic" feel to it, if that makes any sense.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, yesterday evening/night, I went out & did this. I posted in another forum, so will do a rough reformat for here :) This is what I thought
He he he he he. Ha ha ha ha. Oh. My. God. Just got back from shooting a few cars on a cruise. I'm sure certain bystanders thought I was losing the plot. Taking a photo, peering at the back of my camera, giggling like a crazy woman. Rinse & repeat. In the words of a fellow G9 user, I think Panasonic have made something a little bit special. Check these out :)
Check out the front seat passengers :) f/2.5, 50 mm equivalent focal length, car doing 50? km/hr.
40024184542_3eba183c97_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
60 olds by Andrew, on Flickr
Girls were giving it a bit of a bootful here. f/2. Check out the faces :)
25184807607_9096b08052_h.jpg
white mini by Andrew, on Flickr
Staunch :) f/2 again, jpeg pretty much straight out of camera. +10 contrast, resize.
26183705638_f22f40f45c_h.jpg
Staunch by Andrew, on Flickr
Conventional wisdom would say that at 50 mm focal length, with good technique you should be able to shoot a nice still subject with acceptable quality, at 1/50 second. Not cars whizzing past at 50 or 60 km/hr, a couple of meters away. Check out the windscreen stickers and carby scoop
40024389102_2f2e0be856_h.jpg
green woody by Andrew, on Flickr
Now where have I seen him before? :) f/1.6, full frame. I think I bumped the contrast +10
40057379261_2868691ca4_h.jpg
staunch 2 by Andrew, on Flickr
This went on & on & on.
40024468542_72671bdb7d_h.jpg
white stang by Andrew, on Flickr
Can you see why I was giggling like a crazy woman? :)
39356133334_3c0ce1f551_h.jpg
Pink by Andrew, on Flickr
There's about 3 or 4 shots out of 100 or more, with a bit much motion blur. The camera is freaking spectacular. IMO. Maybe I'm just easily pleased. I don't care :)

Edit -I just found staunch's brother :)
39346687194_845a1d9ac9_h.jpg
staunch bro by Andrew, on Flickr

Last edited:

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I had hoped the LCD would obviate the need for reading glasses (2x) but while the f stop and shutter speed are legible the rest isn't.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Excellen review with helpful information. You have an engaging writing style as well.

Thanks. I'm thoroughly enjoying the camera. I honestly think it is spectacular. DFD has absolutely come of age. I had no real complaints with the iteration in my GX8, this is a definite step forwards. From the small amount of time I've played with it, I think it's better in AFC than the 7D & 5D3/4 that I've fiddled with a bit. I am astounded at how well it works at close range, with shorter focal lengths, which is where I find phase detect systems struggle a bit. I have yet to try longer (200 mm) focal lengths on the G9 yet, but I see no reason why it should be any less effective. As long as you have your subject filling a reasonable portion of your frame. I think any system will struggle when you try to use it like a telescope, and try to focus on some pinpoint subject way out at infinity.
I forgot to mention, they were all shot in AFC, single shot, jpeg, using the movable custom multi central pattern setting. From my limited usage, I think the camera will try & prioritize the central region of the pattern as the focal point. After viewing a lot of my shots on the computer screen, I also think that at lower shutter speeds, using a non stabilized lens, the IBIS will keep the central portion of the sensor in focus. Which makes sense if you stop & think about it, as from all the descriptions of its workings, the center of the sensor is the point at which the sensor rotates around, to try & stabilize the image. I think.

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks. I'm thoroughly enjoying the camera. I honestly think it is spectacular. DFD has absolutely come of age. I had no real complaints with the iteration in my GX8, this is a definite step forwards. From the small amount of time I've played with it, I think it's better in AFC than the 7D & 5D3/4 that I've fiddled with a bit. I am astounded at how well it works at close range, with shorter focal lengths, which is where I find phase detect systems struggle a bit. I have yet to try longer (200 mm) focal lengths on the G9 yet, but I see no reason why it should be any less effective. As long as you have your subject filling a reasonable portion of your frame. I think any system will struggle when you try to use it like a telescope, and try to focus on some pinpoint subject way out at infinity.
I forgot to mention, they were all shot in AFC, single shot, jpeg, using the movable custom multi central pattern setting. From my limited usage, I think the camera will try & prioritize the central region of the pattern as the focal point. After viewing a lot of my shots on the computer screen, I also think that at lower shutter speeds, using a non stabilized lens, the IBIS will keep the central portion of the sensor in focus. Which makes sense if you stop & think about it, as from all the descriptions of its workings, the center of the sensor is the point at which the sensor rotates around, to try & stabilize the image. I think.
Just wondering have you changed the Jpeg settings or are they just the factory set ones. The colours seem way more punchy than what I am seeing from my files.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just wondering have you changed the Jpeg settings or are they just the factory set ones. The colours seem way more punchy than what I am seeing from my files.

Sure have. What I've settled on, is a slight modification to the one I used on my GX8, That being, a tweaked standard one. Pull up standard, & I've added +2 to contrast, +2 or 3 to sharpening -depending on situation, -3 to noise reduction, & +2 to +3 on saturation, depending on scenario/subject.
I also use the iDynamic settings, which can make a rather large difference. Got a function button set for direct access. Cycle between auto, standard & high, once again subject dependent. I have a custom tone curve set as well. Been a bit of discussion previously whether iDynamic over rides this, I thought it did, but further testing revealed (with my GX8) that the effect on the tone curve is just a lot more subtle. I have a custom curve set, -2 on the highlights, standard on shadows.
I also keep a very close eye on WB, one of the most brilliant features on Panasonic cameras, is the ability to use auto WB, yet offset it in whichever direction you want. Hit the WB button, then the down arrow, or down on the joystick. Offset the WB however you wish, hit set, & the camera uses AWB, but biases it in whatever direction/colour temp you set. Utterly fantastic feature. I wish I could set a function button to directly access the graph, yet to figure out if it's possible.
And don't under expose. Underexposure flattens out brighter colours. Don't be scared of shadows & contrast. Lots of people seem obsessed with the blinkies/zebra stripes in their EVF, to the detriment of the overall picture. I've set mine to 105%, & ignore them in inconsequential areas. We're not shooting in a studio. If you're shooting landscapes, take a tripod & bracket. Or buy a full frame camera. IMO, if you obsess over the highlight/shadow blinkies, you end up with technically correct, yet somehow colourful but flat looking images.
My 2 cents. Plenty will disagree with me, that's just what I've figured out over time. I also have a function button set to picture style, I really only use it to shoot a portrait, or maybe a landscape.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
:) One thing that just dawned on me, I forgot to set the IS to panning mode.On those shots above. Probably why I was having a little bit of difficulty with tight framing )
Something to try next outing

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Been pretty busy but have used the camera a bit here and there.

I'll get something more up soon, probably my impressions of autofocus. Only problem is, is that some of it hinges on junior basketball games, which is great for testing the camera but i'm wary of posting such photo's, particularly when they arent always my kids. I may wait until I can get down to an AFL training session or practice match, which will further my impressions and also give me some postable pics.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Been pretty busy but have used the camera a bit here and there.

I'll get something more up soon, probably my impressions of autofocus. Only problem is, is that some of it hinges on junior basketball games, which is great for testing the camera but i'm wary of posting such photo's, particularly when they arent always my kids. I may wait until I can get down to an AFL training session or practice match, which will further my impressions and also give me some postable pics.
You should only do what you are comfortable doing, but when I shot a little high school basketball I never worried about posting the photos online. I guess I figured the newspaper occasionally sends photographers to high school basketball games and publishes a picture or two from select games. I might feel different if it were 7 year olds in a rec league. But I figured high school and up sports weee ok. Ironically, I have recently deleted all those ohotos from all my storage, as I didn’t see any need to keep them. As far as I know, I didn’t have any photos of an as yet to be discovered Lebron James.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom