One week into the G9. A rolling review.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This board really needs a "block user" function.

Go your hardest. I'm personally happy to read, & discuss, in an adult fashion, different points of view, even if I don't agree with them. Without sticking my fingers in my ears, and blindfolding myself. That's the whole point of discussion. Who knows, I may even change my mind on some matters.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Yes, why would anyone who can display just about anything they want on the EVF take their eye away from the action, move the camera down from their face, and look at a silly LCD?

I'd'a used that precious real-estate on some programmable buttons or a knob or something… like on the OM-D E-M1…
I assume that some folks just like to glance down to check settings rather than raise the camera to their eye. The former is a bit more stealthy and easier.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I assume that some folks just like to glance down to check settings rather than raise the camera to their eye

Yep, nailed it in one. Plus, now with the joystick available to quickly shift your focus point, you can have the rear screen facing inwards towards the body, and are still able to check/confirm your settings at a glance, without lifting the camera to your eye. My 6D had the top LCD, it was far from a "Pro" camera, but still a handy feature for the amateur. Nothing "silly" about it at all

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
a bit more stealthy

I hadn't thought of that.

I do a lot of "grab shots" with ultra-wide, without using either the EVF nor view screen, but generally have the camera set up beforehand in such a way as to be reasonable.

I guess if one wanted to make sure some critical parameter was within desired values, they might actually like a top-mounted, non-customizable, limited-information LCD display. (Such displays are like circuit boards, with displayable areas pre-printed, unlike various dot-matrix raster displays that can display anything that can be represented as dots.)

Personally, I don't care for it, and it would be a strike against any camera that used valuable real-estate that way.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Personally, I don't care for it, and it would be a strike against any camera that used valuable real-estate that way.

Which is fine, but the G9 is not lacking in manual controls/buttons/customizable function buttons, or area, by any stretch of the imagination. Have you actually used one for any length of time?
It's a bit like aperture rings, and the Fuji X camera style. Some people get it, some don't. It was my LX7 that got me hooked on the benefits. For me.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

While I agree it probably would not make me not buy the camera. Same as the articulating rear screen on the EM1.2 compared to the flippy one on the original EM1.1, I prefer the former but it would not stop me buying the later.

I think a lot of decisions these days on what to include on a camera is marketing ticking boxes and playing catch up to the opposition etc. All valid depending on ones point of view.

Real Name
Jan Steinman
it probably would not make me not buy the camera
Yea, same here. That's why I said "a strike against" rather than that I would not buy it.

In trying to come up with other things like that, I can only say that, why, oh why, do they put the viewfinder in the middle, when they could put it anywhere? My nose is getting crushed, and my rear screen is full of nose-prints! Sony seems to have the idea here, with their EVF on the left side of the camera.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yea, same here. That's why I said "a strike against" rather than that I would not buy it.

In trying to come up with other things like that, I can only say that, why, oh why, do they put the viewfinder in the middle, when they could put it anywhere? My nose is getting crushed, and my rear screen is full of nose-prints! Sony seems to have the idea here, with their EVF on the left side of the camera.

I think those nose prints cause a lot of grief. I really like the drag to change focus points on my G85 but that nose issue is really bad.
Never tried but I think it may be better with Olympus where you only use part of the rear screen.
It's thing like that that that make you wonder how much useability testing is carried out compared to marketing tick boxes.

Real Name
Jan Steinman
left side is an awful place for left eye dominant folks
Agreed, and yet, most people are not strongly dominant in one eye or the other. Most people can adapt to either eye.

I am actually slightly left-eye dominant. (When I drive into a tunnel, I close my right eye.) But not enough that I'm willing to put up with my nose against the four-way buttons!

I guess if the ergonomics people were really in charge, they'd make the EVF a removable module that could be plugged into either side, but that would play havoc with SD card doors and USB/HDMI jacks, etc. Engineering is a tough discipline.

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Plus, now with the joystick available to quickly shift your focus point, you can have the rear screen facing inwards towards the body, and are still able to check/confirm your settings at a glance, without lifting the camera to your eye.

This is 100% why I love the LCD. I keep the screen closed toward the camera when shooting stills, using just the EVF, and this way when I don't have my eyes on the EVF I can verify that my settings are right. It's not necessary, but sure is an ease of mind thing. Also, while I really like the G9, that rear top dial moves a bit too easy for my liking, and like another mention (I think in the bird thread), its really easy to bump it and change your assigned value. I've found myself looking at it as I raise camera to my eye quite a bit.

edit: Also wanted to mention I'm a left eye shooter too, and I've tried to switch to right, but just can't do it. I haven't had any issues with my G9 and being a "lefty."

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Can the top panel LCD display the AF points chosen? I think I've seen that in some DSLRs .

Real Name
Jan Steinman
Can the top panel LCD display the AF points chosen?
From the photos I've seen, it looks to me like a fixed-format display, similar to a calculator, rather than a dot matrix. Which would mean no.

But I haven't actually held one, so I'm not certain. However, in the photos, the numbers looked like seven-segment numbers, which suggests a fixed format.

If they had put a smooth, hi-rez colour LCD up there, it might be more interesting and useful, and could be tweaked in firmware updates to display totally different things…

Real Name
Jan Steinman
I would have preferred an e ink display
YES!

I'm a big fan of e-Ink. It's stable without power! So even after turning the camera off, the display would remain, showing you the critical info of your last shot. And they're a dot matrix, so you could display such things as a histogram, or auto-focus points, or TBD via firmware.

I have an Onyx Boox Max and a 9" Kindle. They are so much nicer for reading than light-emitting displays. And the battery lasts for months!

I keep expecting eInk to take off. You see teasers about things like supermarket shelf tags that could change prices via RFID, and hospital wrist bracelets that could display a patient's last vitals, but nothing seems to happen. I suspect excess licensing fees are stifling widespread use.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Can the top panel LCD display the AF points chosen? I think I've seen that in some DSLRs .

No it can't. Unless I've totally missed something hidden away in a menu somewhere. It is however, just fine as it is. If I really really wanted to whinge about something, then maybe an option to have it displayed in sleep, when the camera is not actually switched off. There may be something like that already available and I just haven't figured it out yet. Nearly EVERYTHING is customizable though. I'm loving mine. It's just so fast, quick and slick to actually use. The auto AF is uncanny. I shot about 150 frames yesterday evening, and I think one missed focus.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
You're right eye dominant... the left side is an awful place for left eye dominant folks.
Out of curiousity...why?

If using a left-side EVF with your left eye puts your nose right in the middle of the screen, wouldn't using a central EVF put your nose right into all the controls that you want to be manipulating with your thumb?

It seems like left-side is always better, no matter which eye is dominant.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I hope saladin doesn't mind if I add a few thoughts & pic's. Let me know if you do, I will cease & desist. As I mentioned above, I found the full auto 256? point AF system amazing. These are just a few test shots, just to see how it works. 42.5 mm, f/1.8-2, so discrepancies WILL show up. Not super fast subjects, about running speed, single shot, AFC mode.

This is shot in jpeg, straight out of the camera, cropped & resized, zero editing, sharpening, nothing
39329239644_e78b7e4d3c_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
chrome joe 32 by Andrew, on Flickr

A stray object entering the frame doesn't deem to distract it. Once again jpeg, zero editing
26166717618_273289057a_h.jpg
distraction by Andrew, on Flickr

This shows up the shallow DOF, the wing mirror is nailed by the AF, the bonnet is just getting out of the focus plane. Zero editing.
40006939432_a5c3a88f6d_h.jpg
gold XR by Andrew, on Flickr

I bumped the contrast +10 in lightroom on this, as it was shot straight into the sun
40039823121_1b1c380eeb_h.jpg
blue dicky by Andrew, on Flickr

The jpeg engine is superb. IMO. The IBIS is fantastic, on non stabilized lenses. At 25 mm, I'm getting 100% hit rate at 1/5-1/6 of a second, I reckon I could get down lower, but no need when you're shooting f/1.4-1.7 primes. Straight out of the camera -shot in jpeg, zero editing. Just resized, sharpen on export box unticked in LR. As close as you can get.
28260686009_ca8ddbf803_h.jpg
high maintenance by Andrew, on Flickr

28260718019_191b79c791_h.jpg
high maintenance 2 by Andrew, on Flickr

1/5 of a sec was an accident here, not paying attention, so I think it shows just how effective it really is. Dirty, mixed lighting here
39329823934_88c8901815_h.jpg
88 by Andrew, on Flickr

Last edited:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That gold XR Falcon would love to find a home in my garage

I had a Polar white XT Fairmont, maroon interior, that I kinda wish I didn't sell. Unfortunately things outside our control happen in life, & things have to change :)

Real Name
Jan Steinman
It seems like left-side is always better, no matter which eye is dominant.
Fun fact: your optic nerves cross over (well, a good majority of them) before connecting to the brain. So people who are right-handed (the majority) typically are left-eyed.

So that begs the question: why are cameras set up to favour the right eye?

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So that begs the question: why are cameras set up to favour the right eye?

Well, straight off the bat, I don't conform to what that study found. There must of been some type of study/research done yes? And I'm guessing that the camera manufacturers would have access to such data, & not deliberately engineer themselves out of the largest potential customer base?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom